Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: how should you practice???  (Read 11169 times)

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
Re: how should you practice???
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2009, 07:33:47 PM »

How very true! I have thrown many a tepid cuppa down the sink after having spent too long playing once the tea has been left to brew.

Isn't that what the microwave is for?! (just don't put the milk in first - as not really retrievable then)

Diane

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 10:06:09 AM »

I play the same tunes over and over and over......you get the picture. I'm still not very good at them but I do enjoy it.
I don't get 'jigs'

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 10:19:53 AM »

So far I've found playing same tune on both melodeon and concertina..a bit confusing.
Lesson learnt: Must have different tunes on each...or else confusion.

I'm too organised for my own good.....I love filing things for some odd reason.
Anyway I sort my print outs of tunes into Easy, bit of a challenge, and Impossible at the moment.
I always start with scales then do one tune from each pile each practice (they all get a go eventually). Each gets played 5 times or at least attempted 5 times (2 without basses -standing up and sitting down-, 3 with). Then I'm allowed to play one random one I fancy.

But then I'm the kinda girl who eats her vegetables first... ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 10:43:48 AM by ladydetemps »

george garside

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »

but I do enjoy it.

Surely the   most important ingredient! ;D
george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »

Being in general agreement with both tune and scale practice I find learning a tune with a different or tricky fingering in it should then be followed by another tune which uses the newly learned technique but also brings another new musical lego block to your repertoire.  Continue until you have exhausted all possibilities and then your lego blocks of melodeon musical competence will be complete.  I'm on year 35 of this course, not sure of the finishing date yet.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

This may sound silly but I've just discovered that the trick is not to practice! Having been away on a walking holiday for a week I know find that I play an awful lot better. I usually try to practice about an hour a day - in reality it's probably 1/2 hour every two days but my brain obviously needs a long time to process the practicing I do.

Louise

Sebastian

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2009, 01:39:52 PM »

This may sound silly but I've just discovered that the trick is not to practice! Having been away on a walking holiday for a week I know find that I play an awful lot better. I usually try to practice about an hour a day - in reality it's probably 1/2 hour every two days but my brain obviously needs a long time to process the practicing I do.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 02:57:27 PM by Sebastian »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 03:29:32 PM »

I keep being asked at home "haven't you practiced enough yet?"
It seems there is some kind of time warp going on. I think I've practiced an hour...everyone else claims I've been 'making a racket all evening'.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2009, 03:48:09 PM »

It it indeed "good" to take breaks from practising and/or playing, once in a while, and when you come back to it there is some kind of re-discovery of the tunes you used to play. However, one tends to loose precision and speed when leaving an instrument unplayed for too long. This is good for any musical instrument! And many other things...
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2009, 09:11:15 PM »

so heres a new problem! when i start to play uncle georges hornpipe
(the cliffe hornpipe) i suddenly go into harvest home about halfway through! i seem to get bits of tunes going all ways! i dont do it any other time, is it cos i learned them both in close proximity???? also, how the heck can u play the rundown in harvest home and keep the bass thumping away???? >:(

george garside

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2009, 09:22:45 PM »

Quote from: gypsylad link=topic=1614.msg18538#msg18538 date= ???? also, how the heck can u play the rundown in harvest home and keep the bass thumping away???? >:(

[/quote

the simple answer is to not keep the bass thumping away.  My preference is to stop playing the bass for the rundown as this has two results for the price of one!  When you suddnely stop playing the bass the air tries to get out of the treble end thus increasing the volume which in turn makes a feature of the rundown i.e the punters think you are doing it on purpose.  Aslo trying to 'thump' a rhythm out of the bass whilst at the saem time indulging in swift bellows reversals  often just makes everything go mushy.

Another way round it which gives a completely different effect  is to hold  the DA  chord button down as a sort of drone whilst playing the fast run. A refinement of this is to hold the DGchord button down for the first half of the run and then change to holding the DA bass note button down for the second halfon the run.

You can of course use both or all 3 techniques if you are playing the tune through 1, 2 or 3 times!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

HallelujahAl

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2009, 09:30:50 PM »

Well I often have to work from home - and the office is where I keep the squeezeboxes. So I tend to grab five/ten minutes practice a few times during the day. It's the little and often principle.

It's surprising how tunes go togther - especially when they've been part of the same learning curve. I often join 'Bringing in the Sheaves' and 'When the roll is called up yonder' - maybe there's something going on in my subconscious there?  :D

As to the bass, my answer is a variant of George's, which is to give the bass a quick tap every now and then through the rundown - as long as it's rythmic it really adds to the effect.
AL
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal