Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EL RAY DE VALLENATO  (Read 3441 times)

ACE

EL RAY DE VALLENATO
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:38:48 AM »

Picked one up yesterday in A/D/G at a very cheap price. A few minor usage marks, but otherwise very good. I already have a Compadre which I am very pleased with and wonder how they do it for the money. The Vallenato is three voice as against the Comparde which is only two.

First impressions = very wet sound, nice rich basses, not a heavy lump for a three row. Not fast/fast, but would hold its own in a sensible session. If anybody is considering going to a three row, I would say it was a reasonably priced instrument to try out without losing the quality. A cheap Chinese import can make you work a bit, but these Hohners do have a bit of quality control.

The usual Hohner button clack, etc and terrible straps. Nothing that a bit of home fettling can't put right.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
Re: EL RAY DE VALLENATO
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »

Yeah, they are nice.
It seems you have a superior product, comparing with your Hohner Compadre. Cause the prices brand new we have the Compadres by 695 US dollars and the Rey Vallenatos by 795 US dollars (prices in U.S.A). You can tell us better so, why exactly this 100 dollars more in the price of the Vallenatos.
But very probably is just for this yeah as you told: Vallenatos 3 voice and Compadres 2 voice. Cause the boxes and details are practically the same.
This current Hohner line with 12bass and these names in spanish, has an strong appeal in Latin America specially in Mexico. 
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

ACE

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 10:22:48 AM »

100 dollars more for an extra row of reeds, you could not purchase them separately for that money here. The Compadre is good and punchy as a solo instrument. The Vallenato will be very useful when I have a full line up with the band and we want the music to be a bit smoother.

triskel

Re: EL REY DEL VALLENATO
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »

This current Hohner line with 12bass and these names in spanish, has an strong appeal in Latin America specially in Mexico.

The 3-row boxes for Latin music are Hohner's biggest sellers in accordions these days, and hence all the new models that they've brought out in recent years, but calling a model "El Rey del Vallenato" ("The King of Vallenato") is surely intended more to pander to the Colombian market than the Mexican one? (Vallenato being specifically Colombian music.)

Edited to add link

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:40:34 AM »

but calling a model "El Rey del Vallenato" ("The King of Vallenato") is surely intended more to pander to the Colombian market than the Mexican one? (Vallenato being specifically Colombian music.)

Yeah, interesting. Thank you. I didn't know this meaning of the word "Vallenato" talking specifically about a Colombian word or typical Colombian music.
I know they are huge in Mexico. (obviously cause Mexico is the bigger country consuming and playing Latin music. But if you talk about this line focused in Latin music is the most profitable to Hohner currently, so they tend to do the best tributes they can for sure  :D
Interesting see a German industry having its best profits with a line of products focused in Latin music. Curious.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 04:35:48 PM »

I had an F/Bb/Eb one , it sounded fantastic - I got lester to replace the Chinese bog-paper on the bellows with proper stuff and I fitted decent bellows straps (those lovely swivel ones from Charlie Marshall) and removed the thumbstrap ..
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

triskel

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »

Interesting see a German industry having its best profits with a line of products focused in Latin music. Curious.

Though it's not that the 3-row Corona models started out as being made for any Latin music market, indeed Mexican/Latin players formerly played 2-row button accordions, but as they started to play more and more on 3-row ones then styles developed to suit those instruments and after that nothing else would do - so that in recent years Hohner have introduced the Compadre, El Rey del Vallenato and Panther budget models made in China, the upper mid-range Corona II and III Xtreme, as well as "signature" Flaco Jimenez, Steve Jordan and Los Tigres models made in Germany, and the Anacleto Collection made in Italy.

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »

ACE,  How are you thinking of modding it to quiet the button clacks?   
Corona III x8

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 03:47:03 AM »

The 3-row boxes for Latin music are Hohner's biggest sellers in accordions these days, and hence all the new models that they've brought out in recent years
Edited to add link

Maan  8)
Let me tell you. I've been impressed about you since some another posts before. You always arrive with ALL the references about ANY model that the people ask here, specially talking about YEARS, you present the right years of production of everything (Hohner line any and always)  ;D
Have you worked to Hohner??   :D

Cause I have some questions to do for you so, about a model I've been trying to find, it is mentioned in this post: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,16264.0.html

And also about the variations of Hohner Pressed wood. I am interested in know about precisely about the last years when this Pokerwork Presswood was produced. I'll write for you in the PM here.  (:)

ACE

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 08:18:10 AM »

Felt or foam under the mechanism. to stop some of the button travel as well. The bass end might need some sort of bushing.  I shall be fitting internal mikes soon, so when it is apart I will experiment a bit to get the best anti clacking devices fitted.  Also if I stop tapping the buttons and play a bit more gently I can eliminate them. But that really does mess up my style.

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 04:32:02 PM »

Felt or foam under the mechanism. to stop some of the button travel as well. The bass end might need some sort of bushing.  I shall be fitting internal mikes soon, so when it is apart I will experiment a bit to get the best anti clacking devices fitted.  Also if I stop tapping the buttons and play a bit more gently I can eliminate them. But that really does mess up my style.

I'd love to see a few pictures of how you mod it.  I'm thinking of doing the same to a Corona III, just not sure how to tackle that job. 
Corona III x8
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal