Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ideas Please  (Read 2914 times)

ron1

Ideas Please
« on: April 21, 2009, 10:12:23 PM »

Hi. Been a while since I visited this site or posted anything. After many months of inactivity, I am finally getting serious about my melodeon playing and now practice every day. I recently visited my accordion dealer and part-exchanged a regular accordion for a one row ariette in key of C.

I like to be involved with people of like mind and would welcome suggestions, what else I can do to pursue my new found interest.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Ron

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Re: Ideas Please
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »

Where are you based? East Anglia is probably the home of English one row playing in C! If that's 'local' then contact theEast Anglian Trad. Music Trust.

What music do you want to play on the Ariette? What are you practising? Cajun, zydeco, irish, italian, english, something else?
All are possible, and there are a few people on this forum who can provide relevant tutoring as well.

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

melodeon

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:51:50 AM »

I am primarily a one row player....

have you been to the "bravenet"  Cajun accordion discussion group ?

Anything is possible on a one row... I play a few traditional American tunes as well as some Irish and Quebec and fiddle tunes.

With some adjusting of the bass and thumb straps on the Ariettes they are very serviceable instruments.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »

Yes, let us know what tunes you're currently playing  (:)
AL

ron1

Re: Thanks, one and all.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:29:53 AM »

Thanks so much for your help.

I live in South East London.

I primarily play by ear and like English and Irish music, picking at the songs and tunes I have heard and enjoy, (although I can also read music.) Tried a little cajun but at the moment find it to much of a challenge.

I will certainly take a look at Bravenet and East Anglia also appeals. Maybe I'll chance to visit, especially if I can make some melodeon friends in that part of the world.

Had a problem with new ariette and decided to take a look inside. One of the reed pads on the button side was ascue of the reed, causing a lack of air pressure and a strange sounding note. With a little manipulation, I managed to fix it and all is well. I was surprised to note some shoddy workmanship generally and even with my limited knowledge,  it was not hard to spot.

Groovebox

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:46:52 AM »

what was the "regular accordion" you exchanged for the ariette?
my hohner hasnt broken for 2 weeks!!

ron1

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:54:46 AM »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:33:52 AM »

Good deal - but those Chanson's are quite good. I had a 72 bass Chanson and I wish I'd never got rid of it now!
 (:)
AL

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 02:58:52 PM »

Ouch... these sell for about USD 300 on the other side of the Pond!
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Groovebox

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 12:46:54 AM »

o well any melodeon is worth more than a piano accordion  ;)

jk i wouldnt trade my bugari armando PA for any melodeon ever (exept for one of them messervier boxes)

good luck ron1, have fun one rowing.
my hohner hasnt broken for 2 weeks!!

ron1

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 05:29:19 AM »

Thanks for your good wishes groovebox. Took a while for the bug to bite (re one-row.)  Now it has I can't put the thing down.

Your right Al, Chanson are good accordions, although I notice the prices, (at least with my dealer) have risen dramatically. I now live in a flat and could never play quietly. With Ariette, no problem.

Quebecois. 300 USD is a good price.  Still, I don't consider myself, ripped off. I have been happy to pay the price for the pleasure I derive.

Ron1
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 05:39:10 AM by ron1 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal