Discussions > Instrument Design, Construction and Repair

Cajun tuning

(1/8) > >>

Aaro:
I have question. What is originally Cajun tuning. I Know that is dry, but how the sound is still differend what dry tuning.

BruceHenderson:
That's an easy question to get answered.  Just find three Cajun tuners and you'll get three answers in a hurry!

Theo:
Hi Aaro

The main thing as I understand it is that it does not use an equally tempered scale, but instead has the third and seventh notes of the scale flattened by about 15 cents, which is an approximation to just intonation.

So for example, and assuming the box is pitched in C, then E and B are each flattened by about 15 cents.

In equal tempered instruments the major thirds are significantly out of tune which is particularly obvious of you listen to the harsh sound that you get if you play G and B together in the top octave a D/G box.

Steve_freereeder:

--- Quote from: theo on December 11, 2007, 09:45:12 PM ---Hi Aaro

The main thing as I understand it is that it does not use an equally tempered scale, but instead has the third and seventh notes of the scale flattened by about 15 cents, which is an approximation to just intonation.

So for example, and assuming the box is pitched in C, then E and B are each flattened by about 15 cents.

In equal tempered instruments the major thirds are significantly out of tune which is particularly obvious of you listen to the harsh sound that you get if you play G and B together in the top octave a D/G box.

--- End quote ---
Is it also to do with the Cajun method of playing - i.e. playing in G on a 'C' box? Is the tuning done so that the scale of G is tuned to just temperament, and therefore when you try playing in C, as most non-Cajun players would do on a C box, it sounds very out of tune?

BruceHenderson:

--- Quote from: theo on December 11, 2007, 09:45:12 PM ---(snip) has the third and seventh notes of the scale flattened by about 15 cents, which is an approximation to just intonation.
So for example, and assuming the box is pitched in C, then E and B are each flattened by about 15 cents. (snip) 
--- End quote ---

__.  Is it the third or the fourth ... or have you and I been talking to different Cajun tuners??????

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version