Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cajun tuning  (Read 20536 times)

Johnf

• Regular debater
Re: Cajun tuning
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 07:59:14 PM »

I don't know enough about the subject of tuning to really have any opinions. I do know I love the sound of my Cajun boxes. There are obviously many variables including playing compatibility with other instruments.  One thing that makes music so interesting.  The comments I read here can be quite an education. Thanks for that.
Austin Texas
C "LeCapitaine"
B/C "Double Ray"
Mandolin
Pennywhistle

CajunBoxPlayer

How it's done
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 08:23:44 PM »

All E's and B's are tuned 10 CENTS FLAT.  Also like that on the bass side.

It is done to make the chords sound perfectly balanced. This is Cajun tuning.

There is no such thing as a perfectly tuned instrument.  There will always be a chord on every instrument that has a note that doesn't sound right.  That's what drove me mad about guitars.

Cajun accordions are nearly perfectly tuned instruments.

Unfortunately the F on the C box is not changed (unless you want to throw off the whole root!).  So the F chord wavers a bit.

CajunBoxPlayer

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 08:26:38 PM »

Also Cajun tuning doesn't have anything to do with Dry tuning.  Many Cajun players prefer dry, but that's not the main thing.

It's the Es and Bs that make it sound so sweet (chord wise).   On a Cajun accordion they can be flattened 10 cents....  You'll never play in E or B on a C accordion, so you can get away with it to make nice perfect G chords and C chords..

falcanary

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »

Honestly, if want a real good answer to this, post this question on this forum.  I guarantee before the week is over, you'll have tons of input from real Cajun accordion players, tuners, makers and enthusiasts. 

http://pub21.bravenet.com/forum/1722942123/

Enjoy!

WF

Aaro

• Good talker
    • Luukinen Accordions
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 04:32:28 PM »

OK,  thanks every one the answered.
Let see when I get the cajun box`s ready ;D

falcanary, thanks the web link.
Luukinen Accordions offers a full line of fine handcrafted custom made accordions.

Aaro

• Good talker
    • Luukinen Accordions
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 10:32:07 PM »

Hello

Now I ged ready FAW Smokey D tune box. This is make Lapland redwood and the wood is heat-treating.
Box is very loud and easy play.

Thanks all  information the tuning.
Luukinen Accordions offers a full line of fine handcrafted custom made accordions.

Geoffleft

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 12:59:13 PM »

I keep having this horrible, bigoted notion that Cajun (Acadian via Louisiana) is an inherited thing, a tragic family experience and not a tuning. And folks, you just can't help what your family name is, and where they're from. Just as the Acadians couldn't help being in Govenor Lawrence's way back in 1755.

It is also a spirit. And when you play in that spirit, doesn't matter if your'e from Louisiana or New Brunswick, or from your little tiny Acadian family in Melbourne, Australia, You tend to for some illogical reason, be proud of being of that Acadian thing, and that your family has survived. You have a little cry for the pains of your forebears, if you like. You know, the Scots and Irish are good at that too!

I have Larry Millers (Bon Cajun) tuning chart (1992 vintage) if anyone is really interested. Also there is a great Cajun Accordion chat room on the internet too. Larry is in my experience a really helpful and friendly person. And one of the things about Cajuns is that they really like to have a good yabba. Why doesn't someone try to get a response from a 'real' CAJUN maker and or tuner. Just remember, they're freindly people, but don't really quite trust English people yet. But they love Accordion players! Ask them about their tuning philosophies.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 05:46:36 PM »

I'd like to see Larry's tuning chart. Any chance you could send me a copy?
Thanks.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Andy Simpson

Cajun Tuning
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »

What exactly is it?.

It's something often referred to here but I'm not sure precisely what it is, is it just a particular amount of tremolo or something else more arcane that has a particular effect on the sound?.

If nobody comes up with a Sander or other decent used 3 voice D/G, I might give in to temptation and put my name down for a Clipper and although it'd be used to sound more like I'm in Thaxted than the bayou, my interest in Cajun accordion is growing and I was wondering if the mysterious Cajun tuning was particularly important.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Cajun Tuning
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »

It just so happens that Miklos (of this forum) has posted a video clip of him playing a Junior Martin Cajun box. Cajun tuning is not in equal temperament; it's more like 'just' temperament (I think - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) with the scale containing slightly flattened thirds and sevenths. It sounds nice for Cajun music. But it would sound distinctly 'out of tune' on straight English tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Jw53Cgs_8

Miklos is selling his box here if you're interested.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2772.msg31786/
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Cajun Tuning
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 08:43:33 AM »

What exactly is it?.

I've merged this with on older topic on the same subject which should help answer your question.

BTW it's always worth doing a quick search before starting a new topic.  The search function on this forum works quite well
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »

And there was I fooled into thinking 31 well informed posts on a single topic through the night was from the clocks going back :P 

I've never owned a 1 row,  but have tried Cajun stuff on eg the D row of a light D/G. Instructive to learn why that has never sounded right.

I can see why Theo has done this merge - but try posting anything on an old thread - the melnetnanny prints this

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
   Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

_       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »

Thanks for pointing that out Chris.  Its the SMF nanny really, but I've told her to ignore this one in future.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 02:38:50 PM »

I can see why Theo has done this merge - but try posting anything on an old thread - the melnetnanny prints this

I've been known to ignore melnetnanny before now...  ::)

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »

I've been known to ignore melnetnanny before now...  ::)
3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »

I'm digging out this topic to ask some questions I have. I'm thinking about using just intonation for my next box (which will be a 1 row).
As it has only one key, it had some kind of appeal to me, especially since I'm playing mostly with violins.
Anyway, if I understand the discussion correctly, the Cajun tuning consists in shifting 2 to 3 notes on the key? It's surprising, in the sens that apparently the just intonation are shifting all the notes except the base note. One possible way is to tune with the following discrepancy from the equal temperament, in cents: 0, 4, -14, -2, 2, -16, -12, 0. So, not only the E and B (if we speak in C).
Do you know on which temperament the cajun tuning is based?

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2018, 09:22:20 PM »

I think modifying only E and B in Cajun tuning is a very good compromise. Sharpening the F makes a just tuned D minor chord, but if you want to play tunes in F you would be out of tune when playing with other instruments. For me, I prefer to not have the sharpened F - and I keep playing a thirdless D minor chord.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2018, 12:39:18 AM »

Is it to possible to achieve a tuning in G and Em, that gives the major benefits of justified tuning, on a DG?

Ediit: I realise that this is a divergence from the OPs question, but I am really interested in the answer. I'll start another thread if that's appropriate.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:43:14 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 12:40:56 AM »

Any instrument can be tuned to just intonation or any other of the naturally tempered scales, but only to be sweetest in one key.  A two-row could be easily tempered to be just tuned in G - but would sound less sweet in D.

All this talk of these temperaments as being "out of tune"  on certain notes does my head in ... because equal temperement is the most out of tune scale there is, but equally so in every key ... it's just that our ears have become so used to the intervals of equal temperament which is ubiquitous in modern western music that we have all developed an ear that finds it hard to cope with more sensible intervals.

I have never played one - but I imagine a 2 row D/G that is just tuned to G would be a lovely thing to play, but you would struggle to play it with anyone playing another instrument unless it was a very sensitive fiddle or other fretless string player who could harmonise in the same intonation.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

melodeon

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2018, 01:40:12 AM »

"Cajun " tuning is much like a "Cajun" accordeon... tuned or made by a "Cajun".

The self proclaimed king of all things Cajun, to include accordeon construction, does NOT tune as do other Cajuns. His "Cajun " tuning is different from other Cajun box maker's  "Cajun" tuning"

Miller's tuning is "by the numbers".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal