Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: World Accordion Day!?  (Read 6717 times)

triskel

Re: World Accordion Day!?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »

Curses - this keyboard hasn't played right for ages - will have to send it to Theo for a quick re-tune :D

Well you're not the first to notice a similarity - a certain Professor Charles Wheatstone designed some early typewriters that (with the lid closed) look kinda similar to accordions of his day:

Unfortunately our place at Judd St no longer exists which is a real shame as you used to be able to buy all sorts of stuff there - including some of the best squeeze-boxes.

I was last there around 1972, but I gathered it was gone now.  :(

triskel

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 02:37:45 PM »

Thinks - must go out and play my accordion tonight!  :||:

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »

Curses - this keyboard hasn't played right for ages - will have to send it to Theo for a quick re-tune :D

Well you're not the first to notice a similarity - a certain Professor Charles Wheatstone designed some early typewriters that (with the lid closed) look kinda similar to accordions of his day:

you should see how fast my touch typing has got since I started learning melodeon/concertina. ;)

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »

Funny between this thread and the St. Georges day one, no one has mentioned May Day! Did it pass peoples attention or is it just too obvious to note.

Interestingly I grew up with a folky family (in Oxford) and we always celebrated May morning with Morris dancing in Oxford early in the morning. However I have not once celebrated St. Georges day and have been under the impression that Morris has only recently been associated with it. Anyway I missed any folky activities this year, I was away doing my other hobby and celebrating international workers day!

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2009, 02:10:34 PM »

Funny between this thread and the St. Georges day one, no one has mentioned May Day! Did it pass peoples attention or is it just too obvious to note.

Interestingly I grew up with a folky family (in Oxford) and we always celebrated May morning with Morris dancing in Oxford early in the morning. However I have not once celebrated St. Georges day and have been under the impression that Morris has only recently been associated with it. Anyway I missed any folky activities this year, I was away doing my other hobby and celebrating international workers day!

Chingford dance on both so we had a very busy spell, as both St George's Day and May Day turn out to be celebrated on several different days in practice. No crack of dawn dancing though, but there was a lovely basket of may on May Day.

triskel

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »

Ummm, you were saying:

I would imagine there will be quite a lot of melodeons out at dawn on 1st May!

Pauline

Good point - though I think the side I play for will be just a tad later on MayDay! :D
AL

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2009, 05:18:24 PM »

I missed international workers day? :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal