Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: World Accordion Day!?  (Read 5368 times)

HallelujahAl

World Accordion Day!?
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »

Anyone doing anything for World Accordion Day (6th May)? (:)
AL
See link for info:http://www.accordions.com/cia/wad/wad_press_release.pdf

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: World Accordion Day!?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:21:15 PM »

Hmmm... I think I might lock myself in a darkened room with a banjo.  8)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
    • Button Box Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22:56 PM »

More information here. See the Event Directory.

What a great idea! It coincides with our Traditional Music Group's weekly meeting, so I'll try to ensure that the accordions feature more prominently than usual.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 09:40:02 AM »

Hmmm... I think I might lock myself in a darkened room with a banjo. 

4 or 5 string?  :D

Come on 'tain't that bad - although I do like the idea of being in a CIA conspiracy ;)

>:E
We're all accordions really are'nt we? Accordions of the free and not so free world unite!

(evil laugh!)

AL

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 09:43:13 AM »

Hmmm... I think I might lock myself in a darkened room with a banjo.  8)

I think that we players of the diatonic accordion should mount a campaign to reclaim the word accordion.  Those things with piano keys on one end should always be known as 'piano-accordions', and leave the pure accordion name for the diatonic boxes.  The Cajuns and the Irish at least have it right in using the simple word accordion to refer to a one or two row diatonic accordion.  Diatonic accordions were in widespread use long before the piano-accordion became popular.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 09:51:58 AM »

I think that we players of the diatonic accordion should mount a campaign to reclaim the word accordion.  Those things with piano keys on one end should always be known as 'piano-accordions', and leave the pure accordion name for the diatonic boxes.  The Cajuns and the Irish at least have it right in using the simple word accordion to refer to a one or two row diatonic accordion.  Diatonic accordions were in widespread use long before the piano-accordion became popular.

Absolutely! In most of the countries with which I am familiar, 'accordion' means diatonic accordion and the word 'piano' is added to indicate things with keyboards. For example, Annie Proulx's novel, Accordion Crimes, was written about a melodeon, not a piano accordion.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, Acadian one-row in D; Junior Martin one-row in C.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 09:55:11 AM »

I'd agree with you Theo on the basic premis. However, during my morning ablutions I was having a deeply metaphysical and moving experience reflecting upon the nature of man, and in a moment of enlightenment I realised that we're all accordions. Our vocal cords are the reeds, our lungs the bellows etc (those of you out there who are more medically qualified than me will be able to expand (!) upon this theme no doubt - I'm a Doctor of Philosophy not Medicine as you can tell from the drift of this thread). So I reflect that maybe world accordion day could be yet another way of humanity coming together and sharing our united 'accordionness'. Now I shall extract my tongue from cheek and say, I just think its a fun idea anyway regardless of the labels we give our instruments to have a get together and a bit of a shindig :-*
AL

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 10:02:18 AM »

In a moment of enlightenment I realised that we're all accordions. Our vocal cords are the reeds, our lungs the bellows etc (those of you out there who are more medically qualified than me will be able to expand (!) upon this theme no doubt - I'm a Doctor of Philosophy not Medicine as you can tell from the drift of this thread).
AL

Heavy, man! Are you thinking of writing a philosophical treatise on Man as Accordion?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, Acadian one-row in D; Junior Martin one-row in C.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 10:11:05 AM »

Heavy, man! Are you thinking of writing a philosophical treatise on Man as Accordion?

Thanks Bob for the compliment - but the only 'heavy' about me is my weight! I do hope that folk will recognise that I had my tongue firmly stuck into the side of my left cheek!
 ;D
AL

...[thinks]...'philosophical treatise on Man as Accordion'...might just be a few miles in that one!  ;) Though I've a sneaking feeling that the neoplatonists got there a bit before me!

LeFonque

• Good talker
  • Loffet 3 voice, Loffet Pro 2+
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 12:53:41 PM »

Can we have a cool colored wrist band?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Karl Marx

RGF

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »

I'll suggest now that we not let this devolve into yet another diatonic/chromatic/button/key debate.  ::)  Might as well get used to it -- they're all accordions of one stripe or another. I get my fill of the Mac/PC religious wars at work (they're both computers), as well as Canon/Nikon (last time I looked, they were both cameras), etc.

Bob
(who plays both, but neither as well as he might if he would concentrate on just one!)

HallelujahAl

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 03:20:27 PM »

I'll suggest now that we not let this devolve into yet another diatonic/chromatic/button/key debate.    Might as well get used to it -- they're all accordions of one stripe or another. I get my fill of the Mac/PC religious wars at work (they're both computers), as well as Canon/Nikon (last time I looked, they were both cameras), etc.

Bob
(who plays both, but neither as well as he might if he would concentrate on just one!)

Couldn't agree more - I play both, and get equal measures of enjoyment doing so. Forget the culture wars - the more people who can be encouraged to play the accordion of whatever size, system, button or keyboard layout surely the better? 
AL

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 07:13:05 PM »

Wesson Accordions at www.melodeons.com

.. say no more.  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

HallelujahAl

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »

Wesson Accordions at www.melodeons.com

.. say no more. 

Any chance you could build me an accordion with a typewriter keyboard on the RH side -querty tuning would be fine?
AL ;)

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 08:36:10 PM »

Hey, this is my birthday, so I obviously will do something special on that day!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 02:56:17 PM by qubcois »
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F, HA112 in C,
riced-up de-branded Ariette, Hohner Erica A/D

The Cidermaker

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 08:37:47 PM »

Whilst reading Al's deep and meaningful thoughts, I cannot help but wonder how the bass end works?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »

Whilst reading Al's deep and meaningful thoughts, I cannot help but wonder how the bass end works?
Well, I know how my bass end works  :D
AL

HallelujahAl

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 10:07:11 AM »

:||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||:

HAPPY WORLD ACCORDION DAY EVERYBODY!!!!
:|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :
AL ;D

triskel

• Left the building...
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 01:29:30 PM »

Any chance you could build me an accordion with a typewriter keyboard on the RH side -querty tuning would be fine?

Hey Al,

There's summat oop with your typewriter keyboard, the second note is out of tune - should be a w, not a u!

You didn't get it in Judd Street did you?   ;)

:||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||: :||:

--------------------HAPPY WORLD ACCORDION DAY EVERYBODY!!!!--------------------

:|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||: :|||:  :|||: :|||: :|||:

HallelujahAl

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »

Hey Al,

There's summat oop with your typewriter keyboard, the second note is out of tune - should be a w, not a u!

You didn't get it in Judd Street did you?   

Curses - this keyboard hasn't played right for ages - will have to send it to Theo for a quick re-tune :D
Unfortunately our place at Judd St no longer exists which is a real shame as you used to be able to buy all sorts of stuff there - including some of the best squeeze-boxes.
AL
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.