Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST  (Read 9281 times)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 05:33:12 PM »

Delicia Popular and Bobby Shaftoe.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Paul Crook

• D/G Erica, Shelburne Falls, MA, USA
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 05:54:47 PM »

First melodeon: a D/G Pokerwork, borrowed from the Marlboro Morris Men's Benevolent Squire for Life, Phred DeVecca.

First tune: "The 29th of May" since that was at the top of the 40+ tune list I had to relearn over that first summer.

Experience: I had played Morris tunes for a year on a CBA. I had played piano accordion for about 35 years, and various fretted instruments and CBA along the way.

Learning: Mostly self-taught, but with good examples to work from. I had made rehearsal recordings of my Morris team's main musician, Doug Creighton. Tony Barrand's collection at
http://www.bu.edu/dbin/dance/
shows our team (and many others) going back decades, and has extensive labeling that shows the year, location, team, musician, dance name, and tradition. I also watched Youtube tune videos from Lester, Pikey, and Anahata.

It took a lot of "I know this can be played on a melodeon, others already have" before I branched out into "How would I play this tune on a melodeon?"

I did eventually teach myself "Alte Kath," mentioned earlier in this thread. On a D/G, it sits well kneeward on the G row [start on the D], and has some nice quick cross-fingering in the B part.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 06:08:36 PM »

Delicia Popular Deluxe and Winster Gallop!
M

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »

Hohner Pokerwork 1 row in C.
After twiddling around with the buttons for 20 minutes, I could play,in a way, a verse of Cailin Mo Ruinsa.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »

Bells in Surbiton London ,£60 Quid and "Jockey to the fair" it was. The rest as they say is "Totally forgettable"

Slight thread drift (sorry) - I walked past there just this lunchtime. The shop unit has just changed hands yet again and just reopening in its latest incarnation as a furniture store.

Another piece of history gone Helena. :'(
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

triskel

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:34 PM »

First box: "Parsifal" brand (made in Klingenthal) 4-stop, 10-key melodeon (like this one) with brass reeds - bought brand new from a music shop on Oxford Road, Manchester in 1972. Afterwards I wished I'd bought a Hohner (I'd probably still have it!) but the Parsifal was only half the price and I was a student...  It broke my heart, trying to play anything on it!  :(

First tune: Barbara Allen out of the old "First Step: Melodeon" book.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »

Another piece of history gone Helena. :'(

On the other hand since I work about 500 yards away at least I get to hang on to some more of my wages.  Heaven knows what I'd be like of Bell's was still there  :o
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:52:59 PM by Helena »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

penn

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »

Hohner Erica bought from Theo 3 years and 3 days ago. Cock of the North was the first tune I was able to play all the way through.
35 years of guitar thrashing in punk rocker groups prior to that.
Steve

Pat.

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »

For me it was a V Soprani 9 cuppler B/C a great box bought in 1985[wish I still had it]Self taught ,used to play up and down the row at first until I found  that the landlord of a pub [within staggering distance] was Galway champion in the early  sixties ,he told me that listening was the best way to learn as the buttons are in and out all the time so it was hard to get a visual perspective, ,great musicians were often present on a weekly basis and in no time at all I was very involved ,you knew when you were playing well when you did not have to pay for your beer.

ocajun

• Regular debater
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 09:10:40 PM »

Harmona (Weltmeister) 1 row 4 stop in C. First tune I remember learning would be The 99 Year Waltz, followed by High Point Two Step, those being the first things on the Learn Yersel Cajun DVD. First tune played, though? I discovered that the thing seemed to know a lot of tunes already and was being very patient while I caught up. Probably some seafaring number involving Spanish Ladies I think.

Rod
Music from the swamps of Louisiana, the bogs of Ireland and the Moss of Balloch!

Grape Ape

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »

Hohner Panther, aka "The Sex Panther" (not my naming) just bout three years ago to the day. Grew up playing drums, so music was new territory. A year before that, my wife bought me a Hohner Student PA. I wasn't taking well to it, except for the basses- weird huh? I was hooked and noodled around for 3 months or so before attempting Amelie. Still can't play that one properly, but decided Valse Triste looked easy enough, and after a week of staring at youtube videos, was playing my first tune...
100% self taught (and it shows) except for that which I learn on this site.

arty

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 09:53:39 PM »

A Pre Pokerwork C/F and my first tune was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, second, Michael Turner's Waltz.
I had played the oboe from age 11 until I was 42, then guitar for a few years. I was given a CBA and worked at that for 3 years or so but there were too many buttons! Then I met Mike Rowbotham and life changed!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:02 PM »

Hohner one row in C ,  My Grandfather gave it to me at age 14 or 15  I didn't know how to use it and the lower octave is and was  badly out of tune. so just made noise mostly, then at age 48 I decided to try to learn a tune. this guys page came up in a search so I went with it. http://www.henrydoktorski.com/books/buttonboxbook.html    Oh My Darling Clementine
here's the old thing in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTo-VNoKViA
I should really give it a melodeon make over :||:
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »

A 1930s Hohner CC# purple pearloid lent to me by Benny Graham.
First tune was something out of Mallys Melodeon Methods Vol1. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 10:43:38 PM »

Hohner pre pokerwork in BbEb. $100 from 'Craigslist' 5 years ago to the week. Self taught. Played guitar for 40 years prior.

First tune was probably "Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 10:48:42 PM by hickory-wind »
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

AirTime

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:14 PM »

1950's Hohner Pokerwork in CF. First tune attempted was Sherborne Waltz. Self taught. Previous instruments: guitar, mandolin & a brief go on a small PA before realising my mistake.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 11:19:49 PM »

Delicia Popular Deluxe and Winster Gallop!M

Talk about the deep end! Took me at least a year to try Winster Gallop! :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 11:35:52 PM »

The first box that was really mine? A serenellini Annelise (3r GCacc)....but i had been playing for years on my mothers instruments before that :-) (Castagnari Allain8 is what i learned it on)...and what,...i really cant rmember, but it migt have been "valse triste",
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 12:38:52 AM »

I started with a no-name "Made in Germany" Klingenthaler, three-voice one row in G, which cost me around £10 in 1969 or so. Like triskel, i used the "First Steps" Melodeon tutor, so my first must have been Barbara Allen also.  :|glug
Alas, this was an early blooming soon to fade and I disposed of it about ten years ago.  :|bl I thought I'd lent it to my nephews, but they swore they'd given it me back, honest Uncle Chris!  >:( Needless to say, I was bitten by the bug properly soon afterwards and had to buy another at today's prices! I've had this happen before with other interests - I think somebody doesn't like me!  :||:

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 12:50:28 AM »

My first melodeon was a gift from my Grandparents. It was a purple celluloid model, with I believe three or four bass buttons. I was a very young when I got it, I believe I was 2 or 3. I do not know what my first song was, as I don't recall playing any songs, just goofing around.

My first melodeon I could play was an iPod Hohner Cajun app (Weltmeister Cajun in C, if we are only taking about real melodeons), about last year. My first song on it was, if I can recall correctly, The Happy Wanderer or In Heaven there is no Beer.  :||:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:52:15 AM by The Happy Wanderer »
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal