Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is this on my Saltarelle?  (Read 2875 times)

WendyG

• Good talker
  • Castagnari Clovis DG
What is this on my Saltarelle?
« on: April 23, 2009, 08:56:23 PM »

I recently bought a Saltarelle Le bouebe, and whilst giving it a thorough looking over found this on the underside, what is it for?

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:26:33 PM by WendyG »

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: What is this on my Saltarelle?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 08:58:23 PM »

Haha, don't remove it! it's the end of the spindle or axle that all your levers turn around.

WendyG

• Good talker
  • Castagnari Clovis DG
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 09:34:16 PM »

Thanks for that Steve, I had a Stephanelli before but didn't see one of those little things on it.  Melodeons seem to have much more complicated innards compared to concertinas, so I will not be removing it.

Wendy

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »

Haha, don't remove it! ..

That was funny! Reminds me of my older sister who started with computers at old age and she asked me to remove all the files she didn't know what they are. She meant the operating system files. (:)
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 12:05:59 AM »

Melodeons seem to have much more complicated innards compared to concertinas, so I will not be removing it.

Interesting point. I would have thought they were of similar complexity. Does anybody know whether, say, a 30-button anglo has more parts in it than a melodeon with 21 treble and 8 bass buttons?

The point about not removing the spindle is that if you do, you'll hear a lot of rattling as all the levers and springs fall out of place - and putting it all back together would be a right pain (although a very instructive experience).

Cheers
Steve

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 02:34:10 AM »

Melodeons seem to have much more complicated innards compared to concertinas, so I will not be removing it.

Interesting point. I would have thought they were of similar complexity. Does anybody know whether, say, a 30-button anglo has more parts in it than a melodeon with 21 treble and 8 bass buttons?

The point about not removing the spindle is that if you do, you'll hear a lot of rattling as all the levers and springs fall out of place - and putting it all back together would be a right pain (although a very instructive experience).

Cheers
Steve

Concertinas are certainly more complicated to build, I think they have to have each key custom made, or something. That could be wrong.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Howard Jones

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 10:33:14 AM »

Concertinas are more complicated. Each reed is individually mounted, in its own chamber. All the buttons are bushed, and the levers are all of different lengths.

Geoff Crabb calculated that approx 4000 parts go into a concertina, and these were all hand-made.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 11:20:38 AM »

Geoff Crabb calculated that approx 4000 parts go into a concertina, and these were all hand-made.

I had the pleasure of playing a bass concertina a little while ago (English) it had single action bellows which also meant that not only did the reeds have adjacent valves, but the bellows also had their own valves which enabled the bellows to spring back open once they'd run out of air. I've often thought this'd be a good idea on a melodeon. Might make for some interesting music however?!
AL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal