Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Unusual Hohner  (Read 5267 times)

Lars

Unusual Hohner
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »

I recently fell in the pit... I don't need more boxes, I really have no use for this, but I just could not resist buying this little oddball. I thought I'd share some pictures and information, as it's a rather unusual Hohner.

It looks like a typical 40's (?) pokerwork style box, lovely green celluloid with lime green bellows paper and gold tape (the tape looks like a retro-fit, as it's good quality fabric tape and not paper).

But: It's 3 voice. That's been seen before. But it's 12 bass too - not stradella, but diatonic basses. I've seen that before too. But the basses AND chords are 4 voice, with 2 shared reeds, meaning that the bass notes play in 4 octaves and the chords are fuller than the usual triad. This setup is similar to Corsos.
The air-button is push-type, not the sideways levers commonly found on Hohners.
It weighs in at just around 4 kg, all reeds being zink plate.

Has anyone seen a box like this before?

To me, it's a lovely thing, being a sucker for the 3 voice sound. It's sadly in G/C, which I don't really need... The condition is remarkably good, though it looks it has had an overhaul not too many years ago - the valves are more modern than you'd expect, and the pallets have green felt, not the plain leather padding.

Lars

Re: Unusual Hohner
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »

Insides:

Lars

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »

The bass side mechanism:

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:15:59 PM »

Very nice and tidy inside, and altogether a pretty wee box. G/C is nice, great for French tunes I have a lovely wee G/C myself, not as airtight as it should be, but I enjoy playing it.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »

Lovely box!  I've seen almost the same, but with just 8 bass, but with the same 4 bass voice setup.  I have a black one here with Double Ray graphics and in BC
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »

Utrolig lækker!!!! Any chance you are selling straight away...  ;)
Sweden, Skåne

Lars

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:45:32 PM »

Lovely box!  I've seen almost the same, but with just 8 bass, but with the same 4 bass voice setup.  I have a black one here with Double Ray graphics and in BC

Theo, does the old black DR 3v have that 4/4 bass side, or are you referring to another box? I think this green one is the latest 3v in 2v size I've seen - occationally a red one pops up on eBay, and the less rare black wooden ones with gold painted flowers (metal keyboard cover), though I always thought of those as earlier ones.

pgroff

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:13:11 PM »

Great find - congratulations!

PG

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »

Very nice!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 09:13:27 AM »

Theo, does the old black DR 3v have that 4/4 bass side, or are you referring to another box?

Yes it has the 4/4 bass. Picture attached
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 02:13:01 PM »

I think this green one is the latest 3v in 2v size I've seen - occationally a red one pops up on eBay, and the less rare black wooden ones with gold painted flowers (metal keyboard cover), though I always thought of those as earlier ones.

I used to think the black with gold leaves model No. 3515 1/2 was only available from 1929 until about 1934, and that may have been true for export to other countries, but it's still listed in German Hohner catalogues as late as the 1938 one that I have (and maybe in the 1939 one that I don't have?), and in no less than 4 versions! There was:

No. 3515 1/2 /21/8/2    8-bass, 2-voice                              RM 39

No. 3515 1/2 /21/8/3    8-bass, 3-voice, 4x4 coupled bass     RM 47.50

No. 3517 1/2 /21/12/2   12-bass, 2-voice                            RM 43.75

No. 3517 1/2 /21/12/3   12-bass, 3-voice, 4x4 coupled bass   RM 53.25

The (less-expensive) celluloid No. 1600 is also listed, as it too had been in 1929/30, though only in 8-bass versions:

No. 1600/21/8/2    8-bass, 2-voice                                     RM 35.50

No. 1600/21/8/3    8-bass, 3-voice, 4x4 coupled bass            RM 44.50

So they were probablly contemporaries up until the Second World War anyway.

For the sake of price comparison, the No. 2815 pokerwork cost RM 32.75

Curiously the 2-voice No. 1600/21/8/2 was listed as 4x4 coupled bass in the 1937 catalogue, but perhaps that was an error. Interestingly, Hohner's prices were slightly cheaper in 1938 than they had been the previous year.

penn

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »

Stephen - the "black with gold leaves model no. 3515 1/2" you mention is the one you once had as your avatar?
I have a similar but white with gold leaves and metal keyboard cover (incidentally bought from Lars) and I've often wondered what the model number is. I suspect you know the answer?  (:)
This is presumably a contemporary of the 3515 1/2? and presumably the same aside from the colour?
Thanks, Steve

triskel

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 09:26:50 PM »

Stephen - the "black with gold leaves model no. 3515 1/2" you mention is the one you once had as your avatar?

That's right.

I have a similar but white with gold leaves and metal keyboard cover (incidentally bought from Lars) and I've often wondered what the model number is. I suspect you know the answer?  (:)
This is presumably a contemporary of the 3515 1/2? and presumably the same aside from the colour?

The only difference is the colour and I don't think I've seen a different model number for it. Most of the white ones seem to have gone for export to the US, which is where I got the one I have from.

penn

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:16:34 AM »

Thanks Stephen. Mine has a plate on the side from Musikhus Kleinert of Kobenhavn which is presumably original. It also has offset 8 basses but sadly most of its gold leaves have dropped off -the case is in pretty bad shape. Nice player tho.
Steve

triskel

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 03:30:37 AM »

Mine has a plate on the side from Musikhus Kleinert of Kobenhavn which is presumably original.

It sounds like some went to Denmark too then, but the white ones do seem to be quite rare and I've never seen one that was originally sold in Great Britain or Ireland.

... sadly most of its gold leaves have dropped off ...

Maybe somebody played Les Feuilles Mortes (Autumn Leaves) too much on it then, that can happen with them...  :(

Lars

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 11:29:20 PM »

It sounds like some went to Denmark too then...

They are not uncommon - I've seen a handful of the white ones around Denmark. The black is much more common though. But so far, I've only come across one of the 3v versions; the black with gold leaves and 8 basses.

Back in the 30's there was a good number of accordion dealers and importers, I would not think it uncommon that they each had a seperate deal importing models suited to their own market, considering how close Denmark is to Germany. But of all the various model Hohners (1, 2, 2½ and 3-rows), most seems to have been cheapest possible models available.

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 03:44:50 AM »

model No. 3515 1/2 was only available from 1929 until about 1934, and that may have been true for export to other countries, but it's still listed in German Hohner catalogues as late as the 1938 one that I have (and maybe in the 1939 one that I don't have?), and in no less than 4 versions! There was:

No. 3515 1/2 /21/8/2    8-bass, 2-voice                              RM 39

No. 3515 1/2 /21/8/3    8-bass, 3-voice, 4x4 coupled bass     RM 47.50

No. 3517 1/2 /21/12/2   12-bass, 2-voice                            RM 43.75

No. 3517 1/2 /21/12/3   12-bass, 3-voice, 4x4 coupled bass   RM 53.25

The (less-expensive) celluloid No. 1600 is also listed, as it too had been in 1929/30, though only in 8-bass versions:

No. 1600/21/8/2    8-bass, 2-voice                                     RM 35.50

No. 1600/21/8/3    8-bass, 3-voice, 4x4 coupled bass            RM 44.50

So they were probablly contemporaries up until the Second World War anyway.

For the sake of price comparison, the No. 2815 pokerwork cost RM 32.75

Curiously the 2-voice No. 1600/21/8/2 was listed as 4x4 coupled bass in the 1937 catalogue, but perhaps that was an error. Interestingly, Hohner's prices were slightly cheaper in 1938 than they had been the previous year.

Man, impressive! You are a kind on Hohner encyclopedia. Particularly, this here in these Lars's photos, is a model that I am pursuing since some time ago.
I never found even the name or right number of the model, and you presented all the history of it here.

Congratulations.
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

Pgidley

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 09:22:37 PM »

Looks to be a relative of my wife's 4 voice: 

Mr. Rowbot did an overhaul of this one, its in its original B/C tuning (she's a C#/D player so we use it for C tunes). The reeds are stamped "Made in Germany" and are nice quality. Here they are pre-refurb.

And here's what it sounds like:
https://soundcloud.com/microbot-2/hohner-bc-4-voice-deluxe-lmmm-the-beast
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:25:43 PM by Pgidley »

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 02:47:32 AM »

Two more similar 3 voice with 4x4 bass/chords with 8 basses and black. First is BC Double Ray. Second is AD. Marvelous sound- particularly on the left hand. Both sold recently.
Double Ray here:
https://youtu.be/PA3TTCdeoDM

AD here:
https://youtu.be/WqVRMZgNHYE

I've edited the Closed Captions. I am impressed with how good the built in translator is. Even correctly gave "would" and "wood" in the same sentence.

Scott
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 10:39:11 AM »

I have one in Bb/Eb - black body with gold 'Hohner' on the treble face (written to read along the length, rather than vertically) and with sprays of gold foliage on the corners and metal plate finger-board.  It has the 'big' sounding bass end and was fettled by Mike Rowbotham to increase its overall volume a bit. I previously had one converted to D/G, which was a bit too soft for the pub use I'd wanted - if only I had kept it!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal