Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for February 2015: Food and Drink  (Read 9502 times)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Re: Theme of the Month for February 2015: Food and Drink
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »

A bit of fun - the Banana Boat Song.  Day oh, di dayyyy oh.....

http://youtu.be/JRV6Kx9puoU
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 04:53:07 PM »

Last for now , a tune I know as Fish and Taters, from Jim Sharpe who got it from Reg Hall. Otherwise known as I looked East and I looked West

http://youtu.be/baFbo9xu_5s
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 02:48:07 AM »

This one I wrote for my Dad's 80th birthday party.
 http://youtu.be/-DRg-DOaxRk
And here's the words below, he always call us down to eat with a long drawn out
"come and get it" when we vacationed on PEI where His parents where born & grew up.
also played slow when singing.

Breakfast In PEI

Breakfast time, breakfast time, come on down it’s breakfast time.
Breakfast time, breakfast time, come on down it’s breakfast time.

Wake up come and get it, wake up come and get it, wake up come and get it, breakfast time!

Come on down and don’t be late, come on down it will be great.
Come on down and don’t be late, come on down it will be great.

Wake up come and get it, wake up come and get it, wake up come and get it, breakfast time!

Coffee, OJ and a prayer,
Mixed up cereal if you dare.
Waffles, bacon, biscuits too,
Eggs and sausage just for you!

Come and get it!
                                                                                           Michael Larkin

And this one is one of my favorites!! but make it an ale please.
 The Glass of Beer
http://youtu.be/DS9mU1Vyl3A

Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »

Here's Treacle Town written some years ago by Steve Hodgskiss when we played in a band together in South Manchester. http://youtu.be/jck6xjENU1I

He lives/d in Macclesfield. The following is from the Wikipedia entry for Macclesfield -

Although "Silk Town" seems to be its preferred nickname Macclesfield's traditional nickname is "Treacle Town" — supposedly from an incident when a load of treacle was spilt on Hibel Road, and the poor scooped it off the cobbles. However, this term is more widely associated with Nuneaton in Warwickshire. Another reason was that the mill-owners provided barrels of treacle for unemployed weavers.
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Ellisteph

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »

Here's Treacle Town written some years ago by Steve Hodgskiss when we played in a band together in South Manchester. http://youtu.be/jck6xjENU1I

He lives/d in Macclesfield. The following is from the Wikipedia entry for Macclesfield -

Although "Silk Town" seems to be its preferred nickname Macclesfield's traditional nickname is "Treacle Town" — supposedly from an incident when a load of treacle was spilt on Hibel Road, and the poor scooped it off the cobbles. However, this term is more widely associated with Nuneaton in Warwickshire. Another reason was that the mill-owners provided barrels of treacle for unemployed weavers.
And for anyone near the area, the Treacle market is in the town centre this coming Sunday morning. Well played Mitch.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

butimba

• Regular debater
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »

I've been working on Jenny Pluck Pears for the past few weeks; I'm not totally sure the arrangement I've come up with works as well as it could, but here's what I've got so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-BgTbNbrFE&feature=youtu.be

(For anyone who's interested, this is based on Leveret's version of the tune, which is a bit different to Playford's: Leveret seem to have turned the A section into the B section, and then just made up a new A section or taken it from elsewhere.)

Ellisteph

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2015, 10:35:42 AM »

I've been working on Jenny Pluck Pears for the past few weeks; I'm not totally sure the arrangement I've come up with works as well as it could, but here's what I've got so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-BgTbNbrFE&feature=youtu.be

(For anyone who's interested, this is based on Leveret's version of the tune, which is a bit different to Playford's: Leveret seem to have turned the A section into the B section, and then just made up a new A section or taken it from elsewhere.)
Very impressed; you make it look easy! These Leveret chaps seem to have inspired several melnetters to try their arrangements. We'll probably get the whole CD covered between us.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

butimba

• Regular debater
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2015, 03:47:44 PM »

Thanks Ellisteph!

These Leveret chaps seem to have inspired several melnetters to try their arrangements. We'll probably get the whole CD covered between us.

I like this plan  (:)

penn

« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2015, 06:18:42 PM »

This took some inspiration from the Leveret boys too although I don't think this is a tune they play.

At their concert in Cambridge this week, Andy Cutting was encouraging any musicians in the audience to look to old tunebooks for new tunes - “they're ours/ yours, so use them”.
I've never been very good at learning directly from tunebooks as my sight reading isn't quite quick enough, but some googling found me on Chris Partington's site with loads of ABCs which makes the browsing and choosing of tunes quicker, and so.....

….from Playford, this is "Jack Pudding".

http://youtu.be/53LbhFM1PwE

Played in Em, I didn't seem to have quite enough notes for the original Gm.
The Leveret brothers were advocating “following a tune where it takes you”. It's hard to say where my version goes or whether it's correct or not, but their comments made me feel more comfortable about “adapting” it.

Since recording it I've realised that in 1651 a Jack Pudding was not something you would expect to eat or drink, however, if challenged, well....I'm sure I could produce a recipe.
Steve

butimba

• Regular debater
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 08:21:44 PM »

The Leveret brothers were advocating “following a tune where it takes you”. It's hard to say where my version goes or whether it's correct or not, but their comments made me feel more comfortable about “adapting” it.

What a great tune! And judging by your variations towards the end I reckon you could happily 'adapt' it further and it would sound all the better for it.

Since recording it I've realised that in 1651 a Jack Pudding was not something you would expect to eat or drink, however, if challenged, well....I'm sure I could produce a recipe.
Steve

I challenge you.

(My first thought is for some sort of Christmas pudding set on fire with Jack Daniels, but that might just be the influence of your Christmas jumper.)

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2015, 08:52:49 PM »

Wow, Pikey, you smiled!
 ;)
M

penn

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »

What a great tune!
yes agreed, it's been a serious ear-worm over the last few days, can't shake it out.

I challenge you.

ah. Sorry, I have bad news. The Jack Pudding recipe I am familiar with belongs to my great-grandmother. I contacted her via facebook for the recipe, but she refused! This is apparently a secret family recipe. It can only be passed down the female line and as decreed by its originator in the 17th century, cannot under any circumstances be published on facebook, twitter or any world-webbed-internet forum. I believe it involves some brandy - quite a bit of it.

Many apologies for getting your hopes up.
Steve

Pequod

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »

Dear friends, here is my contribution of February:

http://youtu.be/6vSj00Lf9tQ

I used lots of ideas for the bass part from "Methode d'accordeon diatonique" by Norbert Pignol and Stéphane Milleret.

I also made some changes on the structure to hopefully make the performance more interesting and appealing. Hope you like it.

Kind regards,
Tiago

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2015, 11:14:56 PM »

Wow, Pikey, you smiled!
 ;)
M

:D

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 11:16:09 AM »

Well done folks - end of the month and onto the next theme; late submissions as ever are encouraged - just stick 'em on the end of the thread

Clive
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal