Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Location  (Read 4741 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)

Do you know and I know we have been here before, but I really do wish our members would put their location in their profile. It helps so much when giving a reply. If you are worried about GCHQ getting hold of your details then just a country would do. North South East or West. Just a rough area.
Rough area? Well, that's just north of the Watford Gap, innit.  :o
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Location
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 03:37:33 PM »

Agreed Nick, but we can't force people to give a location.  If we make it mandatory those who don't want to show their location will just put in something false and then we are even worse off.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »

I tend to agree with Nick; just knowing roughly where someone is can make all the difference between offering a constructive comment or appearing a complete (insert derogatory term of national choice). True, you can sometimes make a guess at a likely location based on  English usage, but it would be so much easier....... after all, we're not expecting detailed address, postcode (see, that tells you I'm not in the US!), blood group, shoe size and passport number - just a continent would be a good start!

Graham

(Incidentally, I'm O+ and size 8½ UK)
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 04:20:34 PM »

I live in Swanage, population 5000 (in winter) you can find me if you really want. Most double glazing firms do!  :-\
Oh and I've just had a man come round saying he's got a load of carpet and Tarmac left over from a previous job. Have we been here before?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 04:23:34 PM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 04:26:25 PM »

I live in Swanage, population 5000 (in winter) you can find me if you really want.

I tend to find you in the beer garden of the Red Lion one Friday in early September each year  :|glug :||: :|||: :M :|glug
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 04:31:47 PM »

It's particularly important in the For Sale section ... very disappointing to find that the box you fancy is located on the wrong side of the pond!  :(
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 04:49:26 PM »

Done mine.

Will I still be able to keep my voting rights ???
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 05:05:21 PM »

I live in Swanage, population 5000 (in winter) you can find me if you really want.

I tend to find you in the beer garden of the Red Lion one Friday in early September each year  :|glug :||: :|||: :M :|glug

;D ;D ;D or maybe the Black Swan, although that episode didn't work. It was so cold.  :M

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »

Thanks for the comment. Very encouraging to a beginner, not.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:07:10 AM by MikeK »
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

SHTUM

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2021, 02:56:30 AM »

I,m from Scotland - but whats that got to do with melodeons?  John.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2021, 10:01:38 AM »

What's that got to do with melodeons?
Well, perhaps if it hadn't been for those well known Scotchies the Wypers and that Shand bloke, we mightn't have been playing them!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Little Eggy

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2021, 11:10:40 AM »

Nick.  Interesting question.  I live near Bristol but I was brought up in that bit of Old Berkshire which was transferred to Oxfordshire in the 70s. I identify with that part of the world.  I had an uncle whose best friend was a fiddler with a Bampton Morris side.   So I put Bristol in my profile but there’s still a lot of Berkshire in me.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 01:56:02 PM »

I,m from Scotland - but whats that got to do with melodeons?  John.

Possibly quite a lot - the availability of instruments, spares & accessories and the proximity of suppliers and repairers can vary widely depending on where in the world you are - not to mention potential postage costs. Likewise advice on where to find somewhere to play or people to play along with; it's not much use recommending a session in Newcastle uopn Tune to a player who lives in Lima, for example.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »

"it's not much use recommending a session in Newcastle uopn Tune to a player who lives in Lima, for example"

I dunno Graham, haven't you ever been back and played in an English session since you moved to Cypress?

Graham Spencer

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2021, 04:37:32 PM »

"it's not much use recommending a session in Newcastle uopn Tune to a player who lives in Lima, for example"

I dunno Graham, haven't you ever been back and played in an English session since you moved to Cypress?

I've been back for one Whitby festival, and that's about it.  And I've just noticed my Freudian slip - Newcastle upon TUne????

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 04:39:05 PM »

Haha! I hadn't noticed that either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal