Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memory, Emotions, Smells and remembering tunes  (Read 2791 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Memory, Emotions, Smells and remembering tunes
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:26:30 PM »

I've been watching the One Show all week theyv'e been doing stuff about memory
http://www.bbc.co.uk/theoneshow/highlights/memory_week.shtml

apparently smells and emotions help you remember stuff....
anyway do you think that if I associated a tune with an emotion and a smell if I thought of that emotion or smelt that smell that it would bring back the memory of the tune?
Has anyone else found that this is true?

(Yes I'm planning a little experiment...)

HallelujahAl

Re: Memory, Emotions, Smells and remembering tunes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 08:30:35 PM »

I had an aftershave once called 'Melody' - I stopped wearing it because it used to linger...
AL
 ;D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »

<old person alert>
This is definitely a real phenomenon, only this week on the wireless I heard the theme tune for Two Way Family Favourites* and could immediatly smell roast beef dinners.

* Two Way Family Favourites - 50s - 60s radio music request programme broadcast by the BBC on the Light Programme on Sunday lunchtimes

Need to go for a lie down now  (:)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:35:06 PM »

We were only just having breakfast then!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:18:22 PM »

Heh, the shipping forecast always brings to mind the smell of peanut butter. When I was in primary school the radio would be on at the same time as my sister was having her peanut butter with some toast underneath.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:33:57 AM »

<old person alert>
This is definitely a real phenomenon, only this week on the wireless I heard the theme tune for Two Way Family Favourites* and could immediatly smell roast beef dinners.
Roast Beef? You were lucky!!

We did have a wireless though - oh actually a radiogram.

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »

In my early twenties I was a herdsman in Norfolk and was milking lots of cows. At the time The Chiffons' "Sweet Talking Guy" was being played on Radio One every morning at least 10 times. I heard the song last week and I was immediately taken back to that milking parlour. I could visualise and "hear" everything, I even remembered the individual cows, the sounds and the smells.

Unfortunately nothing seems to enable me to remember the opening bars of tunes, or the name of a tune I have just played, or to prevent me getting the A of one tune mixed up with the B of another and believing that everybody else is wrong.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »

Unfortunately nothing seems to enable me to remember the opening bars of tunes, or the name of a tune I have just played, or to prevent me getting the A of one tune mixed up with the B of another and believing that everybody else is wrong.

Yep, or even what happened yesterday, when upon hearing the first few notes of a tune in a session I join in, only to turn it into the tune we had just played within a bar, in a different key, completely unconsciously. The set starter was understandably very annoyed with me, but in my defence they were over the other side of the room :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »

emotion or smelt that smell that it would bring back the memory of the tune?
Has anyone else found that this is true?

(Yes I'm planning a little experiment...)

Sounds, and tunes are certainly powerful memory triggers. How many of us have picked our own 'Desert Island Discs' based on the memories associated with the tunes.

Distinct and unique smells and tastes also work well for me, but I'm not sure there are any particular smells which cause the immediate recall of a tune.

I have found one particular taste has almost the complete opposite affect in certain circumstances - that unique blend of hops and barley can flush my complete tune memory bank when sitting in a pub with my melodeon at my side.

Now if you could find an aroma which had the opposite affect!!!

Time for a beer, and then I'll try to remember some tunes.

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

rats

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 07:17:38 AM »

Hmf. The piano accordion I briefly owned a long time ago had an aggressive whiff that suggested a lonely, bitter, baffled old scowling man. Its case smelled like him and his aged cat. My Hohner three-row never lost its pawnshop aroma during my similarly brief stewardship -- like old bowling ball holes. When I brought home my newly purchased nasty squeaky little copy of a pokerwork Hohner DG, it made my house rank with the scent of hide glue; at my housemates' suggestion it spent its early life on the porch atop a heap of firewood.

Thus, the aroma of crabby old man evokes Clifton Chenier tunes and vice versa; when I pass a pawn shop I get a nice hit of David Hidalgo's music. But the DG has sat around so long that it no longer smells like anything much, and that is a remarkably liberating thing. This evening I attempted some Steve Earle, and a Liz Carroll tune, and, god forgive me, "The Arkansas Traveler." Sounded consistently lousy but the potential is there, I swear it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal