Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newby with an oldie  (Read 1597 times)

Barry Swanson

Newby with an oldie
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:49:22 PM »

Hi, I bought a Double Ray Deluxe a couple of weeks ago, to learn Irish music on...Triskel asked me on the Repair part of the forum what  method of playing do I want to employ...I had to say, I don't know.
He explained to me that my key board layout  is different to the modern ones, so my plan to learn online could have hit a pothole.
I don't know of a teacher nearby so I'm keen to hear your thoughts please.
Regards, dazed-confused   :-\
...a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
...the more toys the better !

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Newby with an oldie
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:02:37 PM »

He explained to me that my key board layout  is different to the modern ones, so my plan to learn online could have hit a pothole.

It is only the bass keys that are different, so as long as your tutor is for a BC box you will be ok for the treble side.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 06:17:35 AM »

It is only the bass keys that are different ...

Exactly!  ;)

But Barry hadn't mentioned wanting to play Irish music until he replied to me, whilst there's a very good chance that the original owner of his Double Ray probably played it the old way on the straight row, as a "C melodeon with accidentals" like I was explaining.

So if you want to play Irish music on a B/C box with other instruments Barry, you'll have to learn to play it "across the rows" in  D, G and A, and if you want to use the basses on your old Double Ray you will probably need to get them changed to suit that, either to the "Paolo Soprani" layout or one of various others that are in use today by Irish players.

(That's assuming it has 8 bass buttons on the left-hand side, a 1950's Double Ray could alternatively have 12 bass buttons in a piano-accordion type layout.  :-\)

Barry Swanson

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 07:20:40 AM »

...thanks guys, and apologies Stephen   :-[

The tutorial I was watching was by Derek Hickey of the oaim...do you imagine he would teach it "across the rows" ?
As  this box needs a full going over I guess its not making any more work to change the bass layout...a bit more expense for the different reeds ?
...and yes , it has 8 bass buttons...cheers

triskel

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 07:33:35 AM »

The tutorial I was watching was by Derek Hickey of the oaim...do you imagine he would teach it "across the rows" ?

Absolutely! You can't play a B/C in the right keys otherwise.

Indeed it says on their website:

"B/C Accordion Basics

This course is suitable for the absolute beginner accordionist. Derek begins by teaching the scales of D and G then moves onto playing tunes and ornaments that get progressively more advanced..."

Barry Swanson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »

[quote author=triskel

Absolutely! You can't play a B/C in the right keys otherwise.

...cheers for that.
I think I'm getting somewhere...I'll get a modern bass layout, recondition everything and I'll be good to go.   :-\

The past couple of weeks has been an eye opener for me, and I have to say, the melodian, with all its styles , methods, tunings, layouts, voices, tones, makers, personal variations etc etc is a far more complex animal than I ever imagined... the one my Dad had in the wardrobe when I was a kid, that he dragged out once a year and played
" The yellow rose of Texas " or similar to us was a far simpler creature!

LDbosca

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 01:57:08 AM »

Just don't get the McComiskey layout on the basses, it doesn't really make a lot of sense!

Barry Swanson

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 09:24:50 PM »

...thanks everyone.
Think I'll just get the  the melody/treble side done at this stage and come back to the bass side a bit further down the line when I' know what I want....unless someone can convince me otherwise!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal