Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: shaft  (Read 2455 times)

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
shaft
« on: February 16, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »

I have an old melodies, 2 row,
"treble button  shaft"  is made of brass ??
dimension is    about   1.70 mm, maybe a little worn. is a strange size Finland ..
Could it be a folding rule.. I would like to exchange
 a new shaft, does not need to be a brass
whether the information where I could find the same thickness of the shaft ??

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
Re: shaft
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 01:14:38 PM »

I have an old melodies, 2 row,
"treble button  shaft"  is made of brass ??
dimension is    about   1.70 mm, maybe a little worn. is a strange size Finland ..
Could it be a folding rule.. I would like to exchange
 a new shaft, does not need to be a brass
whether the information where I could find the same thickness of the shaft ??

Sorry, the measurement is 1.27mm  :-\

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:50:37 PM »

1.27mm is exactly 0.050 inches in the Imperial measurement system. You may have some luck searching for that diameter.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 12:08:05 AM »

1.27mm is exactly 0.050 inches in the Imperial measurement system. You may have some luck searching for that diameter.

1.25mm = 18 SWG (standard wire gauge) bycycle spoke may be a possibility

I have found on ebay

Brass http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Wire-Rod-Various-diameters-lengths-/291366924165?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&var=&hash=item43d6d26f85

Steel 'Piano Wire' http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIANO-WIRE-18swg-1-25mm-36-915mm-LONG-PACK-OF-2-/251805833356?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa0cc188c

I know there are model engineers and clock / watch makers in Finland who would use this sort of material Dino, do you know any ??

I would be tempted to go up to 1.6mm which is a common size for stainless steel (INOX) Tig welding wire, hammer and file the end of a length into a spear point ^ and use this to gently open up the hole through the wood blocks and find a normal drill or reamer for the holes in the levers.

Brazing rod (for old car body repairs) also comes in this sort of size

Best of luck

Richard
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:22 AM »

Be VERY careful reaming holes in wooden levers.  It has to be done with great care to avoid too much clearance that can allow a sloppy fit which allows the keys to squirm under your fingers, and makes it impossible to get pallets seated properly.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »

For small diameter rods and wire in brass, nickel silver, copper or steel try Eileen's Emporium www.eileensemporium.com  Also good for tools, metal sections, metal sheet, small fasteners, small springs and loads more. Excellent mail order service.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 06:47:47 PM »

Be VERY careful reaming holes in wooden levers.  It has to be done with great care to avoid too much clearance that can allow a sloppy fit which allows the keys to squirm under your fingers, and makes it impossible to get pallets seated properly.
Levers are made of metal, but I think that I put on the old shaft if the new is not, I move the axis in a slightly different position,
hole point of the lever is not the case,
a few millimeters, is back intact section

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »

For small diameter rods and wire in brass, nickel silver, copper or steel try Eileen's Emporium www.eileensemporium.com  Also good for tools, metal sections, metal sheet, small fasteners, small springs and loads more. Excellent mail order service.

Graham

Thank you
seems to be a lot of good accessories and spare parts. Still need to take a closer look.
It's too bad,, euro exchange rate bad, I bought myself glue from English, but I would have received it cheaper from Finland,, :-\ Hahah
But no matter,, glue is good
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal