Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: In a Continental Mood....Passion or Technique?  (Read 6995 times)

arty

In a Continental Mood....Passion or Technique?
« on: February 22, 2015, 10:55:53 AM »

I came upon this video yesterday - have a listen and watch:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCdjojlbWs

There is something very interesting going on here. A woman, sitting on a stool in her kitchen, the TV is blaring away in the background and she starts to play Andy Cutting's 'In a Continental Mood'. She gives an absolutely wonderful 'performance', her facial expressions and her body language show the complete joy she gains from playing and she transmits this through the camera. She is open and honest, she is taking risks with the speed, the sound is pure - she is communicating with me, almost flirting with me through the music, in a very personal way. And I love it. In fact, at the risk of being shot down, I prefer her performance of this piece, to any other that I have heard.

In the comments underneath the video, there is one from Accademia del Mantice, chastising her for not playing a G#. I am left with a feeling of disbelief. She defends herself by explaining that she doesn't read music and learned the piece by ear, including the errors. The Accademia tells her that she learned from a bad player and leaves his business card. Ha!

To me, this little video is proof that 'musicality' is far more important than 'technique', 'communication' is more important than 'accuracy'.

Passion, that's the thing! I hope, one day, I will be confident enough to play with passion.

I would be interested in other people's thoughts......I bet she's a good cook too!!!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: In a Continental Mood....Passion or Technique?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:10:24 AM »

Yes she is certainly having a good time and shares that with us.

On the G# - I don't think it is missing.  Not played on the melody side, but I think I can hear it in the A chord.  If I was to be a nitpicker my only suggestion would be to keep the tempo constant, it does speed up a bit.  But I am nitpicking.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »

I liked it too.  (:)
As Theo says, it's a little bit on the fast side, but somehow, in this spirited performance, it doesn't matter.
As for the missing accidentals, the tune was originally written ('made' as Andy Cutting would probably say   ;) ) with a 2.5-row Castagnari Mory in mind, so the accidentals would be easy to hand on the half-row. But Barbara (the player) has adapted it very well for a two-row instrument, regardless of whether or not she actually has the accidentals at the chin-end; and it works splendidly.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

pgroff

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 03:02:45 PM »

Thank you arty for sharing this. I agree with you.

When someone plays music, enjoy the gift and the spirit of the soul who shares it.

I am a music teacher so I understand that sometimes we want criticism to give us a different perspective . . .  so that we can learn to share better music.  But those times aren't as frequent (for many musicians) as listeners might assume. 

The cooking analogy is apt.  I really appreciate when someone cooks food for me and my first thought wouldn't be to tell them how to do it differently.

I'm a musician too, with my own ideas, so I know that many people play music in a way that doesn't suit my own taste.  That's OK with me.

In informal group music sessions or especially when you are a pro musician expected to play along with other musicians as part of your job, these differences of taste can be challenging to negotiate with respect. . .  Respect both to the other musicians and to your own musical standards and your own original vision.

But critical comments on youtube are sort of sad.  If you don't like a video what could be easier than to close the window or click another one?

And you'd hope that amateurs playing in informal sessions ought to be relaxed and generous.  As long as it's not a job where you are expected both to represent your personal music, and to accommodate others with different tastes and standards,  I'd hope that the same courtesy that helps us attend and enjoy a "potluck" dinner could usually apply.

PG

911377brian

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »

:(I would'nt know a G sharp if it hit me in the head.The lady was wonderful and I could listen to her all day, and watching her play was a rare joy.I'm trying to imagine someone watching a performance like that and pouncing on a missing G (or any other note). Not someone to go on a walking holiday with.... >:(

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 04:21:45 PM »

thanks for sharing arty.
Have added my two ( three  ;) ) penneth with your reply.
I just wanted to add my appreciation as I too felt the comment about a G# really picky.
I hope the picky person never listens to me play  ::)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 04:23:32 PM »

just thought ..... wonder if the player knows about this site?
Anyone with any Italian want to invite her along?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Incontinental mood
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 09:56:55 PM »

I think the tune was called "Incontinental Mood" on a Karen Tweed recording. Watching the video again with that in mind adds a whole new context for her expressions!

BTW, I liked her playing too.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 10:15:13 PM »

Love it. Love it! Fantastic spirit, showing her sheer enjoyment of the tune. Beats my melodeon face any day.
M

GBbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 10:41:56 PM »

just thought ..... wonder if the player knows about this site?
Anyone with any Italian want to invite her along?
Q

Just done it!

AirTime

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 01:22:22 AM »

How odd this has come up on melnet. I have been learning "In Continental Mood", & among other videos of Andy Cuttings tune I watched & enjoyed this video. Typically, when I am learning a new tune I learn the basics by watching/listening to a youtube video, but then continue to develop my playing on my own. I learned to play "In Continental Mood" (independently) exactly the same way as Barbara Rocchi - sounded good to me - & only noticed the G# accidental recently when I went back to listening to a "correct" version. I now adjusting my playing to insert the G#, but frankly, either way sounds OK to me!
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Sebastian

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:07 AM »

To me, this little video is proof that 'musicality' is far more important than 'technique', 'communication' is more important than 'accuracy'.
I think her technique is very good, as is also her accuracy.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 09:24:57 AM »

Well played GBbox, thank you for doing that.
We might see her around here soon, hopefully, and she'll realise she's amongst friends!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »

It is a G# and I'm a little puzzled why anyone should take pride in not caring whether it's that or G  ::) The difference is between natural and harmonic minor -  the latter is very much 'about' the character of the turnaround section of this piece. Yes, it is there in the E chord (A??) and in melodeon terms - yes that does carry it to my ears.

I learned this piece in about '93 and had equal joy in its lovely cadances. Shall we offer 10/10 for passion and 9/10 for technique then (agreeing with Sebasian)?

The comment is musically correct and that box (is GCaccs) should have G# the right way. As ever these things are as much about the 'way' things are said, here too abruptly IMHO. But I'd encourage anyone with accs to explore using a dominant (here E major,=  B major in DG) chord in minor harmony. While it is totally correct for modal folk melodies, you'll need it for Scandinavian, whole of Eastern Europe, Klesmer, Gypsy swing (anyone do Flamenco?) Blues, all Jazz and most classical stuff.

In practice the combined harmonic, melodic minor and blues repertoires are well bigger than the 'folk' dorian and aolian ones we use in Britain and N America. Whole lot of fun in there?
  _       _    _      _ 

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 07:18:44 PM »

It is a G# and I'm a little puzzled why anyone should take pride in not caring whether it's that or G  ::) The difference is between natural and harmonic minor

I'm hearing a B (as in E2 BEBE instead of E2 ^GEGB) so there's no minor chord, just the bare 5th. And as Theo says, there's a G# in the LH chord anyway.
Maybe that box doesn't have any accidentals?
And to paraphrase several others, who cares, when it's such a fine and spirited performance?

Also check out her channel for several more tunes on other boxes including a 1.5 row organetto and a lovely-sounding G/C Pokerwork.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

arty

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:25 PM »

I have just listened to this recording again and noticed that our GBbox did write to her and she has replied. She sounds like a lovely lady and says that she is not a musician!

barbara rocchi

2 hours ago

Hello Gianni!
 That unexpected pleasure to read what you wrote about me ...
 Honestly, what I did was play a song that makes me happy, and share ...
 I'm not a musician, as I said, I'm just passionate about music and sound by ear.
 I know this tool for less than three years, but was unbridled love since I heard him play, and I put all of myself every time I play it.
It makes me feel good.
 I do not speak English very well, but just understand how you sign up on your site I am happy to visit you at least to thank you in person for your compliment.
 Meanwhile we are grateful if you will greet my part all other participants of this thread!
 A hug then, and good music to all of you !!!
 See you soon !!
 Barbara
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 08:21:32 PM »

That's grand, arty.

Gianni could give us a proper English rendition, if he feels so inclined, but here are a few improvements on Google or whichever engine came up with the translation:

"What an unexpected pleasure to read what you [plural - "all"] wrote about me..."
"I have known this instrument for...  unbridled love since I heard it played... "
"I can barely understand how to register for your site... I will willingly come to thank you [plural]..."

GBbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 10:32:05 PM »

I am, you six.

Sorry, couldn't resist the joke, but this is what came out of a translation software when, a number of years ago, a friend of mine wrote "io sono, tu sei", that simply means "I am, you are".

I'll get in touch with Barbara, and I hope she will register soon.

In the meanwhile, this is a better translation - though I cannot guarantee is a perfect one, and surely is not totally a literal one - of what she wrote in Italian on YouTube: ask arty what engine he has used. But the way, Barbara used the word instrument, but talking about the melodeon... maybe to call it a"tool” isn't totally inappropriate!

What an unexpected pleasure to read what you wrote about me...
Honestly, all what I have done is to play a tune that makes me joyful and share it...
I’m not a musician, but simply a music lover, and I play by ear...
I have known this instrument for less than three years..  unbridled love since I heard it played., I and I do the best I can every time I play it.
It makes me feel fine.
I don't speak English very well, but as soon as I'll understand how to register to your site I will be glad to pay you a visit, at least to thank you in first person for your appreciation.
Meanwhile greet for me all the participants to that thread!
Cheers then, and good music to all of you !!!
See you soon !!
Barbara

exiletaff

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »

Wow! If only 'I' could play with such passion and obvious love of the music. I don't care, or even know, if there have been mistakes, the smile it has given me will last for hours.

Alun

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 01:12:11 AM »

Not having heard the tune before, in my ignorant bliss I thought she did a pretty good job. 
I'm another non-reader,  and sometimes mis-hear or mis-remember tunes, and sometimes they won't fit my melodeon anyway, so I cut my tunes according to my box. 
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal