Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Green Hohner Clubs  (Read 5806 times)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Re: Green Hohner Clubs
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 11:17:32 PM »

Later BS have the same top quality Hohner reeds as the Morino, the ones marked Hohner ! And the Marino has a semi casotto (not a full one), and varnished insides.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »

Later BS have the same top quality Hohner reeds as the Morino, the ones marked Hohner ! And the Marino has a semi casotto (not a full one), and varnished insides.

I don't think it is as simple as that Pikey,  I know the reeds you mean that are marked Hohner on every plate,  many post WW2 morinos didn't use those reeds but used Italian reeds with no marl apart from the usual diagonal line on one corner.   Even the Hohner marked reeds are not all the same quality!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Grape Ape

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 11:31:11 PM »

The buyer backed out and it is now MINE!!!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131441975036?nav=SEARCH

Lets hope she sounds as good as she looks!!!

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »

Really happy for you Frank. All good things come to those who wait.  (:)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 02:44:31 PM »

I'm suspicious of shill bidding here. I was the second highest bidder and thus established the selling price. Now the item was relisted at that price? Nothing against you Frank- I'm happy for you- and I have enough boxes to keep me busy. I just think the seller is not acting properly...but so it goes with ebay. Here is one I have in house. If anyone wants one, I can tune this to your liking and 'declub' if desired.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

Grape Ape

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 11:54:33 PM »

Hickory Wind,
No offense taken.  The seller said the original winning bidder backed out of the sale because it was wrongly listed as a Hohner LX instead of IX.  How said buyer mistook a melodeon for a guitar is perhaps one for folks with a deeper understanding of the human psyche than I.  When the seller relisted (i received a notification) I immediately contacted him, informed him that I was one of the original bidders, and offered to pay the winning bid price if he wanted to put a "buy it now" option.  He agreed, which is good, as I didn't want to be outbid again by the likes of you, good sir!

I don't see how that constitutes wrong doing on the seller's part, so much as the buyer who outbid you and I without even knowing what he was bidding on.
That is, if what I am being told is true, because I really like the look of this thing and really hope it is in reasonably good shape.
I might add, I don't have another of these lying around, and the box is for ME not resale as I have recently fallen head over heels in love with old Hohners.  New ones one the other hand....
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 12:51:06 AM by Grape Ape »

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 12:18:30 AM »

Congrats to you G.A.

Scott, sending PM to you -

Grape Ape

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 12:56:06 AM »

Let's hold off on the congrats until I play it.  Could sound like an old dead cat for all I know, in which case Hickory Wind will still get a chance to get his hands on it, as I don't know of another who works on these things in these parts...

Catty, I am glad you like the look of these too, my wife thinks it looks gaudy.

Frank

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 01:56:30 AM »

Uoooow! Is this the famous 5 voice Hohner? If yes, could you post videos please?  ::) I've been searching for it around, but found none  :(
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

JoeCooley

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 02:02:00 AM »

What keys are these clubs?

Grape Ape

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 02:30:21 AM »

Uoooow! Is this the famous 5 voice Hohner? If yes, could you post videos please?  ::) I've been searching for it around, but found none  :(

No. It is a 3 voice tuned MMM.  I do have an Ouveture 5 voice already, as is the Morino. As far as I know, those are the only 5 voice clubs Hohner made, but I would be happy to be corrected.

hickory-wind

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 02:37:15 AM »

Keys are usually BbEb or CF. These are 3 voice instruments. Some have dual switches behind the keyboard allowing M, MM, LM and LMM settings. They are on the larger side but sound marvelous after being tuned. The bass / chords are particularly rich and deep. My X also has an internal bellows lock (small lever at bottom in picture).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:39:00 AM by hickory-wind »

Grape Ape

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 02:56:08 AM »

So that's what that is! How does it work?

Scott, though we were unwitting rivals for this box, I hope we can still be friends!

triskel

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 09:22:33 AM »

No. It is a 3 voice tuned MMM.  I do have an Ouveture 5 voice already, as is the Morino. As far as I know, those are the only 5 voice clubs Hohner made, but I would be happy to be corrected.

According to Hohner's 1937 catalogue, you need a Club VIII for MMM tuning, the Club IX should have LMM with one register and the X the same but two registers.

The Ouverture II (Club 255) in the same catalogue is 5-voice, the Ouverture I (Club 235) is 4-voice.

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »

Hickory Wind,
No offense taken.  The seller said the original winning bidder backed out of the sale because it was wrongly listed as a Hohner LX instead of IX.  How said buyer mistook a melodeon for a guitar is perhaps one for folks with a deeper understanding of the human psyche than I.  When the seller relisted (i received a notification) I immediately contacted him, informed him that I was one of the original bidders, and offered to pay the winning bid price if he wanted to put a "buy it now" option.  He agreed, which is good, as I didn't want to be outbid again by the likes of you, good sir!

I don't see how that constitutes wrong doing on the seller's part, so much as the buyer who outbid you and I without even knowing what he was bidding on.
That is, if what I am being told is true, because I really like the look of this thing and really hope it is in reasonably good shape.
I might add, I don't have another of these lying around, and the box is for ME not resale as I have recently fallen head over heels in love with old Hohners.  New ones one the other hand....

Hmmm. Looking at the seller's history, he has previous form, where he has relisted items and then sold to a single bidder.
What really matters is that it's as described and you are happy with it.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

hickory-wind

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »

So that's what that is! How does it work?

Scott, though we were unwitting rivals for this box, I hope we can still be friends!
All's fair in love, war and Melodeon procurement. I just hope to see it in person some day. I don't need to own it...I don't need to own it... I don't need to...

The lock is simple. The lever has a hook on the other end. The bass side has a metal receptacle. Close the box, flip the lever and voila. Clean look outside without those pesky bellows straps.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 11:55:00 AM by hickory-wind »

Grape Ape

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:24 PM »

According to Hohner's 1937 catalogue, you need a Club VIII for MMM tuning, the Club IX should have LMM with one register and the X the same but two registers.

The Ouverture II (Club 255) in the same catalogue is 5-voice, the Ouverture I (Club 235) is 4-voice.
[/quote]

Darnit, I must have misread said catalogue. I was really hoping it was MMM as my III BS already is LMM with an extra switch.

triskel

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 03:20:25 PM »

Darnit, I must have misread said catalogue. I was really hoping it was MMM as my III BS already is LMM with an extra switch.

To be precise it says "Dreichörig ohne Register" for the VIII, "Oktavstimmung und ein Diskantregister" for the IX and "Oktavstimmung und 2 Diskantregister" for the X, so I'd interpret that as 3-voice MMM, without switch, for the VIII, octave tuning LMM, with one treble switch, for the IX, and ditto with two treble switches for the X. But other variations might be possible...  :-\

Grape Ape

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 11:19:01 PM »

Ok.  Arrived earlier this afternoon.  I just got home from work.  I have not played it yet though will soon, as it has sat inside a good six hours now and should be up to room temp.

First observations:

The grille is a bit warped which did show in the photos.  I didn't realize plastic could warp like that, which scares me as it suggests that it must have been exposed to heat, possibly cooking away in an attic for many years.  There is a small crack on the finger board.  Very little bellows wear. Overall on looks and considering age, 9/10.

The buttons seem low in the keyboard, sunken in as it were.
What does this imply?  I pressed a couple and action seems good....

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 12:11:52 AM »

Some gentle warming from a hot air gun may help get the grille back in shape - if that's the worst problem congrats  :D
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal