Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing a three row ADG - Cross row playing  (Read 1686 times)

John C

• Regular debater
Playing a three row ADG - Cross row playing
« on: April 28, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »

I've been really enjoying Mallys absolute beginners book especially the cross row playing in some of the pieces.   Even though I can play some tunes on the A row I don't seem to be using it much so I've bought a book of scales for Norteno - 'Aprende Ya Escalas Para El Acordeon de Botones'.

I suppose the idea is to get familiar with all the options on the keyboard and improve cross rowing from D to A and then use the whole keyboard.    Any suggestions for music that uses the whole keyboard?

How are others using their three row accordions, are you cross row playing or using it as two accordions - DG and AD?

John

Saltarelle Laurentide GCF, Saltarelle Cheviot ADG

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
Re: Playing a three row ADG - Cross row playing
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »

I use a A/D/G Corona and make use of all buttons available no matter which key! The standard Corona layout with accidentals offers a "chromatic" keyboard so why not make use of all notes available instead of treating it as three 1-row configurations. Also, when playing in A and G you can find the same notes on these rows playing pull instead of push and that facilitates the bass playing of many tunes. That's just one example or using cross-rowing!
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

John C

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »

Many thanks for the comments

As I seem to be very visual I'm trying to write out some exercises so that I can try to extend my range of crossing fingering.   I have to bring the A row into play much more.

I've also started to pay more attention to the movement of the bellows it really is the difference between a regular workout and a relaxing practice.

John
Saltarelle Laurentide GCF, Saltarelle Cheviot ADG

Robin Harrison

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 01:54:54 PM »

Like JB, I now find a two row strange  to play.
            The tune I've attached I would have played up and down the D row..............but to my ear , I didn't like the constant bellows reversals. Try to work it out cross row. It's much smoother ( but it can still be crisp and very "danceable" ) and look at what you can do in the B part on the bass.
      Robin

I've just edited this to correct some early morning spelling, but I could add that the 2 1/2 row seems to make more sense to me, but the 3 row is where I am and will stay.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:57:35 PM by Robin Harrison »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal