Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finbarr Dwyer tribute on TG4 - Rí na gCnaipí Promo  (Read 1810 times)

triskel

Finbarr Dwyer tribute on TG4 - Rí na gCnaipí Promo
« on: February 28, 2015, 02:11:33 PM »

There's a tribute to the great Finbarr Dwyer on TG4 tomorrow at 10.00 PM, and here's the trailer for it: Rí na gCnaipí Promo

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Finbarr Dwyer tribute on TG4 - Rí na gCnaipí Promo
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »

Now viewable on the TG4 web player.

Great little programme. At around the 5:30 mark he can be heard and seen playing a highly arpeggiated tune on a big red Paolo in what I take to be BCC# - although Noel Hill says a little later that he played the CBA - can any BCC# players tell which system it is?

KLR

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 04:18:31 PM »

That's the Waltz of the Birds from his Accordion Music From the Soul CD.  I think it's one of his own tunes but not sure - I only have a dub of this record.  Can't tell from the playing what system that is - it sounds like you could play much of it in one direction, after all.  I've always assumed Finnbar played a BCC#, they show an old LP here with him holding the big 3 row with PA bass and the sound on his old records is definitely the big multi voice tone you get from those Scottish accordions with all the stops pulled out, and it's definitely a bisonoric box too.  Interesting that he also played the CBA. 

I included the cover of that LP I mentioned in my thread about Irish BCC# players.  Thanks for the link, Stephen! 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:56:27 PM by KLR »

gettabettabox

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:36:01 PM »

boys o' boys...this is why i pay for broadband....keep 'em coming!
happy this evening.  (:)

waltzman

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Now viewable on the TG4 web player.

Great little programme. At around the 5:30 mark he can be heard and seen playing a highly arpeggiated tune on a big red Paolo in what I take to be BCC# - although Noel Hill says a little later that he played the CBA - can any BCC# players tell which system it is?

The speed at which he can move the bass side in and out suggests a large air hole which is good evidence, I think, that this is a BCC#

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »

I had that Finbarr Dwyer album with the 3 row box on the front cover, and at the time a friend of mine had a Paolo Soprani B/C/C# box which we observed to be identical in appearance to the one in the cover picture.

And yes, it had a very gulpy air button (more of a bar than a button, because your hand might be anywhere up and down those Stradella basses)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

KLR

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:53:47 PM »

I think that's the BCC#, the tune is in A and he looks to be playing arpeggios of shell chords like G#-E-B and E-D-B.  On either system of CBA what he's fingering would give results more akin to Schoenberg, methinks.  But check with George Garside or Graeme Mackay. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal