Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for March 2015: Do Something Unexpected!  (Read 14062 times)

Harp2

• Good talker
Re: Theme of the Month for March 2015: Do Something Unexpected!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 12:24:39 AM »

Glad I asked, as I would not have expected all the nice click clacks from that box. It fits nicely.

robotmay

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 12:29:24 AM »

Aye it can be a strangely clacky box when I play certain types of tunes. Not sure if it's just my technique or if it's amplified a bit by it having a metal fondo/palletboard/soundboard (never sure which is the best term) and not being an especially loud box ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:31:58 AM by robotmay »

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 02:17:15 AM »

Q" I would not have expected all the nice click clacks from that box. It fits nicely."

And partly representative of the slop in Mallard's vitals after the record, I heard a recording of Joe Duddington talking about the damage resulting from the run some years after he had retired (My grandfather was with the GE/LNE/BR and knew Joe) which was not quite the 'party line' description recorded on the day!

A grand job and a nice tune but it needs more in the tortured groaning dry joints and clunking metal registers, I fear you will have to re record on a suitably abused Hohner for the downhill part...........
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Todd D

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 02:20:56 AM »

Some tunes we call out, "play spotted pony".Others we introduce,  "here's Robert May's Stoke Bank".Thanks for a great tune.

robotmay

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 08:58:06 AM »

Q" I would not have expected all the nice click clacks from that box. It fits nicely."

And partly representative of the slop in Mallard's vitals after the record, I heard a recording of Joe Duddington talking about the damage resulting from the run some years after he had retired (My grandfather was with the GE/LNE/BR and knew Joe) which was not quite the 'party line' description recorded on the day!

A grand job and a nice tune but it needs more in the tortured groaning dry joints and clunking metal registers, I fear you will have to re record on a suitably abused Hohner for the downhill part...........

Haha, I have been trying to play it on my 1940s/50s Maugein but I coincidentally keep running out of steam due to its wheezy air button ;D
My grandfather was also in the rail industry around the same time as Mallard, although I suspect he was mostly conducting local trains in London or GWR. I never knew him, unfortunately, as he died young; if nothing else we would have had a lot of train stuff to talk about!

Some tunes we call out, "play spotted pony".Others we introduce,  "here's Robert May's Stoke Bank".Thanks for a great tune.

Thanks Todd! It's a pretty fun one to play too; messing about in that octave of E minor is quite comfortable and it's how I've written two tunes recently :D

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 09:56:22 AM »

Aye it can be a strangely clacky box when I play certain types of tunes. Not sure if it's just my technique or if it's amplified a bit by it having a metal fondo/palletboard/soundboard (never sure which is the best term) and not being an especially loud box ;D
My Lilium also has a somewhat noisy return action caused by the pallet slapping against the fondo thingy once the button has been released. I've sometimes wondered about replacing the pallet facing for some thicker/softer stuff, but on inspection it always looks pretty good. Perhaps the spring tension could be reduced?

The pallet slap noise is only really noticeable in a close-mic situation. Move the mic further away and the noise becomes a lot less. I used to use AKG 416 clip-ons with this box but not any longer. I use stand-mounted C1000s instead.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

robotmay

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »

Ah good to know it's not just my technique! ;D
I find it easier to control the pallet return on boxes with longer key travel, but the Lilium's is comparatively short (especially compared to the Maugein which has huge key travel and is oddly comfortable to play on!) so perhaps that combined with strong springs makes it a bit harder to keep quiet.

I recorded this on a desktop mic I use for videogame chatting sat a couple of feet away and it seems to love picking up on percussive sounds for some reason. Thanks for the note on the microphones Steve; I'll probably get around to picking some up this year and that's definitely something to consider that I hadn't previously thought about.

I haven't looked inside any other Castagnari models in person; do any of their other high-end boxes have metal fondos? I would have thought the Handry does but I haven't heard the same pallet noise from those, though I have only played one very briefly.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 10:54:22 AM »

All boxes have some pallet sound if you listen carefully enough.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »

I don't know whether this qualifies, it does have a melodeon in it.

http://youtu.be/4AoKQBA_i4I

The house was quiet so...........

All the best

Bill

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Harp2

• Good talker
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2015, 06:15:11 PM »

I don't know whether this qualifies, it does have a melodeon in it.

http://youtu.be/4AoKQBA_i4I

The house was quiet so...........

All the best

Bill

Bravo Bill! Very nice.

Grape Ape

« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2015, 10:27:59 PM »

Well this sort of thing normally would not be shared (and probably should remain that way), but here it is anyway.  Often before practising, I noodle around a bit to loosen up the fingers.  I happened to have the record pressed as I was hoping to get a decent recording of Sous le Ciel de Paris. It didn't happen but this did, stream of consciousness, not well conceived, just me after having been too weak with flu for the past 8days to even lift a melodeon.  It was late at night after work, thus the "title."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TrL246ioEj0

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 01:32:53 AM »

Anyone ready for melodeon karaoke?  :o

It turns out Spotify is laden with backing tracks, some great, some not, for people who want to play flute/clarinet against well known pieces. They come with an example with the melody played, and another with the melody missing, ready for you to fill in the 'music minus one' bit. Most of the tracks are of course, 80's pop hits and worse, but there are some gems in there, including this... Astor Piazzolla's Oblivion, one of my favourite bits of music .... ever. I have tried, but got nowhere near playing it on the melodeon before, and I'm not terribly good at it on the piano, but when you add a backing track like this, and drop the basses, that's a different party. Had a lot of fun learning and recording this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wge5r3fBi9c

Cheers,

Clive

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 07:41:25 AM »

Now then Clive, that is really very good. Also one of my fave tunes, ever.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 08:50:49 AM »

Like this ??

http://youtu.be/tQSVvzqkC_c

>:E

Pikey, methinks you are getting to look more like Mark Gatiss by the hour. >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »

[/quote]

Pikey, methinks you are getting to look more like Mark Gatiss by the hour. >:E
[/quote]
Seconded, having had another look. Uncanny. Also loved the pirate look, not sure which vid it was on.
(:)

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »

Well this sort of thing normally would not be shared (and probably should remain that way), but here it is anyway.  Often before practising, I noodle around a bit to loosen up the fingers.  I happened to have the record pressed as I was hoping to get a decent recording of Sous le Ciel de Paris. It didn't happen but this did, stream of consciousness, not well conceived, just me after having been too weak with flu for the past 8days to even lift a melodeon.  It was late at night after work, thus the "title."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TrL246ioEj0

This is actually quite nice, thanks for sharing. It sounds very musical, and lovely basses. You speed up a bit - but hey: 3am! By the way, how is it possible for you to play at that time? Wife, marriage, child, neighbours, ...?
I hope your are feeling well again.

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 09:54:51 AM »

Anyone ready for melodeon karaoke?  :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wge5r3fBi9c
What a good idea! I love Piazzolla, too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:14:57 PM by TomBom »

Harp2

• Good talker
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 08:05:29 PM »

Wow Clive 3 am. Great job (:)

Grape Ape

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »

Thanks TomBom.  It's a bit raw but I feel like there's a tune in their somewhere waiting to be worked out.  Things like NOT speeding up are exactly why I do these warmups. It really is an embarassing problem to have seeing as I spent 25 years playing the drums.  :-\

3am is no issue with the wife and little one. Old house means old and thick walls.  They can barely hear a thing! Nearest neighbors are a half mile away.  I am lucky in at least so far as that is concerned.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal