Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cool Looking (if not a tad bit sexist) Italian One Row  (Read 3947 times)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Cool Looking (if not a tad bit sexist) Italian One Row
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »

Fisarmoniche (pronounced Fizz "armonika) is generally used for piano accordions.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

AirTime

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 11:55:29 PM »

Additionally ... does the average person in the UK actually know what a "melodeon" is? Wouldn't most English people seeing a melodeon call it an "accordion", just as they would in North America?
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 03:12:15 AM »

Fisarmoniche (pronounced Fizz "armonika) is generally used for piano accordions.

that may be Rees but this box or package was for an organetto and that is what was printed on it. ???
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 07:58:09 AM »

Here is another good video that shows how those reversal buttons are used

http://youtu.be/cbvSRVsBf1c
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 08:02:47 AM »

Additionally ... does the average person in the UK actually know what a "melodeon" is? Wouldn't most English people seeing a melodeon call it an "accordion", just as they would in North America?
I do assure you that just about everyone here in the UK knows exactly what a melodeon is, regardless of whether they play one or not.
Even young children can recognise one, thanks to the popular childrens' animated cartoon series on the television "Molly's Melodeon".

We even know about concertinas too. When I was learning to read at age 5, we had the well-known 'Dick and Dora' reading books. I was a quick learner and graduated to Book 3 whilst still in reception class. Book 3 had Dick learning to play the concertina, but Nip, the dog, used to object to Dick's efforts:

See Dick's concertina.
Dick is playing the concertina
It is a 30-key anglo concertina in C/G with the Wheatstone layout.
Dora is dancing. See Dora dance.
Nip is barking.
Nip is runnng around in circles.
Dora laughs
Dick laughs
Nip does not like the sound of high frequency harmonics. It reminds him of Daddy's dog whistle.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 02:04:44 PM »

I do assure you that just about everyone here in the UK knows exactly what a melodeon is, regardless of whether they play one or not.
Even young children can recognise one, thanks to the popular childrens' animated cartoon series on the television "Molly's Melodeon".

We even know about concertinas too. When I was learning to read at age 5, we had the well-known 'Dick and Dora' reading books. I was a quick learner and graduated to Book 3 whilst still in reception class. Book 3 had Dick learning to play the concertina, but Nip, the dog, used to object to Dick's efforts:

See Dick's concertina.
Dick is playing the concertina
It is a 30-key anglo concertina in C/G with the Wheatstone layout.
Dora is dancing. See Dora dance.
Nip is barking.
Nip is runnng around in circles.
Dora laughs
Dick laughs
Nip does not like the sound of high frequency harmonics. It reminds him of Daddy's dog whistle.

Silly sod, you almost got me with "Molly's Melodeon" bit ... heh.

Anyway, not having done a survey, I don't know what "most English people" would think they are seeing. I am regularly asked what it is I'm playing (whilst busking) and would make a guess that most English people would be a bit unsure. If they make a guess themselves, "is that a foobar", the value of foobar seems as likely to be melodeon or concertina as accordion.

I think that anyone involved with the music over here knows what a melodeon is (that's including "Irish" and Irish players who I've found generally know what the English get up to).

Edited: spelling

AirTime

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 06:00:03 PM »

I can only report on my own experience: I don't think anyone I spoke to in England, family & friends (some of them quite musical) was sure of what a melodeon was.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 08:05:53 PM »

I can only report on my own experience: I don't think anyone I spoke to in England, family & friends (some of them quite musical) was sure of what a melodeon was.

"the music", as in people involved in the type of music where melodeons are played.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal