Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gaillard contact details  (Read 7743 times)

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
Gaillard contact details
« on: April 30, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »

Anyone have contact details for B. Gaillard handy or details about his boxes... no website to best of my knowledge  ???

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
Re: Gaillard contact details
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »

There's an article about him at http://www.cmtra.org/spip.php?article418

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:45:16 PM »

That address is current. Boxlad, drop me an email and I'll send you his 2007 product list. Prices may have gone up slightly but I doubt there are any changes to the range of models he offers.

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:45:12 AM »

I read the article via Babel Fish translation which was interesting on two levels and I particularly loved the phrase, near the end, "I regularly need to lean me on the drawing board" when talking about his future work. It is a shame in some ways that design now involves "leaning on the computer keyboard" it is just not the same.

Back to the subject anyone know what his 18 button 3 row bass layout is?
aka malodeon

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 09:05:30 AM »

At http://www.saintchartier.org/en/luthiers.php you can also find his fax and email address (click on his name).

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 02:08:01 PM »

Back to the subject anyone know what his 18 button 3 row bass layout is?

The way it works is, you tell him what layout you want, and if he can do it, he will.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »

The way it works is, you tell him what layout you want, and if he can do it, he will.

And if he can't, or won't, he'll scream at you, right?

Just kidding, but the idea of this makes me chuckle.
-Andy

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:14:58 PM »

On a side note there's a nice Gaillard box on E-Bay at the moment reserve not met yet though.
Castagnari Kriss III B/C -  Hohner Double Ray De-Lux B/C Pokerwork (presswood) Pokerwork (Brown)

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 09:28:13 PM »

Nice!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 09:59:29 PM by Boxlad »

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 11:13:07 PM »

On a side note there's a nice Gaillard box on E-Bay at the moment reserve not met yet though.

Could you post a link or item #?  I'm searching with "Gaillard" as the search term and only finding non-accordion items.  Perhaps I need to log-in to e_bay UK?
-Andy

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 12:45:09 PM »

Item number: 280339661702   
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »

Could you post a link or item #?  I'm searching with "Gaillard" as the search term and only finding non-accordion items.  -Andy 

Yeah, me too.  Thanks for the item number, Rees.  I noted that the seller has it listed as "Galliard".  Do we think that this is for real?????  Too many Ebay scams out there ...

BH NC USA
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

triskel

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »

Thanks for the item number, Rees.  I noted that the seller has it listed as "Galliard".

Yes, no wonder I couldn't find it (thanks Rees!), but there does seem to be a tendency to garble/mispronounce foreign names here in Ireland, and especially those of accordion makers...

Do we think that this is for real?????  Too many Ebay scams out there ...

I wouldn't doubt a seller who says they'd Prefer cash on collection. The sale is maybe a symptom of the state of the economy here? :(

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 06:08:04 PM »

I wouldn't doubt a seller who says they'd Prefer cash on collection. The sale is maybe a symptom of the state of the economy here?
Perhaps Triskel, on a more sinister note have the public taken an interest into ordering instruments with waiting lists and then selling them on for huge profits to the desperate musicians when they arrive?
The current price of a Gaillard Cristal is 2,830 outside the EU and 3,380 within EU (all euro) with a two year waiting list. I have it from a very reliable source that the reserve on this sale is in the region of 5,000 euro! Thats almost double the price!! And don't forget the seller can't spell Gaillard  :-\ 

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 06:46:08 PM »

I wondered about that but decided to give the seller the benefit of the doubt. They might, I reasoned, be selling for any number of reasons - from hard times to divorce to sickness or even to (God forbid) the unexpected death of the person who had ordered the box.

Although, if it were an extreme case, I'm sure BG would have trouble finding an an alternative buyer. And if your source is right about the reserve, Boxlad, perhaps my faith in human nature was misplaced...

triskel

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 08:04:23 PM »

I wouldn't doubt a seller who says they'd Prefer cash on collection. The sale is maybe a symptom of the state of the economy here?

Perhaps Triskel, on a more sinister note have the public taken an interest into ordering instruments with waiting lists and then selling them on for huge profits to the desperate musicians when they arrive?

Well I'd doubt if it was simply ordered as a "commodity", by a non-musician, just to turn a profit. But, if your information is correct, it does sound like it may be a case of yet another "chancer" selling a box on eBay - mind you, isn't that the second most common national obsession, after begrudgery...  ::)

Anyway, the market will set the price!

... don't forget the seller can't spell Gaillard  :-\ 

A touch of dyslexia there maybe, but then they can't spell made ("madoe") either, whilst my spellchecker wants to "correct" Gaillard to Galliard! And you only have to look at the current Buy and Sell paper to see how the names of accordion makers can get misspelled/mispronounced here - Cerelini for Serenellini, Horner/Honer for Hohner, Palo Sapramy for Paolo Soprani etc.  :o

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 11:29:47 PM »

Ah very good, you got me!! :D :D :D

Speaking of selling instruments, did you find a buyer for that red O'Byrne DeWitt D/C# Baldoni Bartoli you were selling in Ireland recently? 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:55:17 AM by Boxlad »

triskel

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »

Speaking of selling instruments, did you find a buyer for that red O'Byrne DeWitt D/C# Baldoni Bartoli you were selling in Ireland recently? 

No, I've only listed it in the Buy & Sell once so far, and I'm going to list my old Cajun Accordion (that's the brand!), hand-made in Louisiana, 4-stop D melodeon shortly too - I'd like to sell something to help pay for my new Marc Savoy melodeon, and my recent US trip!  ::)

But it's an O'Byrne de Witt D/C# Baldoni Bros., though identical to a Baldoni, Bartoli & Co. of the same vintage - except that it doesn't have the engraving/rhinestones that those commonly (but not always) have (but that was only applied to them by this guy Augusto in New York, whereas O'Byrne de Witt were in Boston).

It's fully restored by Charlie Harris.

melodeon

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »

Curious, 
Why did you choose a Savoy box

And how does Savoy define "Quebec tuning"  ?

The reason I ask this ,  Savoy does not tune his "Cajun tuned" boxes the same as other "Cajun" builders, so how does he define "Quebec tuning" ?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal