« on: March 20, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:30:18 AM by . »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Modification to pallet holes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 12:38:43 PM »

Haha!  I've thought about doing all those things Aradru, but never actually done it!

I've seen some boxes where the reed block nearest the keyboard has the two sound board holes opened out to one large hole.  I assume that is a step towards balancing the sound between the rows.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

TomB-R

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 02:39:30 PM »

I converted a little old Hohner Student 1 into a bass accordion for a friend, new reedblocks with bass reeds on the "treble" side, and removed and blanked off the bass reed blocks.  The pallet board had double holes under each pallet so I removed the middle parts to give an oval hole of greater area in an attempt to get more volume. It played nicely but the volume was never enough for the intended purpose in a morris band.

Lars

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 04:07:50 PM »

I did the very thing to a few boxes in the past, a couple of Hohners, and a Paolo Soprani (1930's)

For the Paolo, I wanted to increase balance between the rows (I had installed an aluminium mechanism to replace the old wooden one), and I only did it to the two round holes closest to the keyboard. I sawed them out with a fretsaw and finished with a file, ensuring not to disturb the flat surfaces where the blocks and pallets needed a good, flat surface. It worked very well, and I got the result I was hoping for. I did not modify the reedblock, which still has 2 round holes.

I also did it to a couple of modified Hohners, but with a different perspective. I wanted not increased volume by doing it, but I was hoping to get faster response, and more airway with a low action. Again, I sawed it out with a fretsaw and finished with a file. The idea was, that with the pallets only opening very little with a low action (and limited button travel), having one large hole instead of two small ones the reeds would be able to gulp more air when pressing down a button. Nothing was done to the reedblock, still 2 holes under the enlarged hole in the soundboard.
I also installed modern italian reeds in the said boxes, so it's hard to say if it made a big difference to the sound, but I did find that I got a very loud box out of it, and when playing full throttle on the volume, I got loads of cut even with the limited pallet opening.

When discussing increasing volume, I think there are other things that should be considered. What sort of reeds does it have? How large are the chambers the reeds are sitting in? Is the surface of the inside walls of the reedblock chambers treated or natural wood? What sort of leather/charmois are facing down on the soundboard holes under the felt?

I personally prefer the sound of large holes, it somehow gives me the impression that the is more 'open', and more 'ringing', though it's hard to compare as there are many other factors involved.

Also, the loudest box I have ever encountered (a 1930's Walters single row) has very small holes in the alu soundboard (1 hole for two reeds), and one of the loudest boxes I have (a Calvi you might know, Aradru!) also has very small holes in the alu soundboard - for that box, I found that replacing the reeds made a huge difference to the volume.

TomB-R

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 05:23:40 PM »

That's interesting.
I understand what you're saying about not having enough volume but would you say that increasing the air holes resulted
in an increase in volume over what you had originally?
Very good point - yes there was a volume increase.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 10:57:36 AM »

I went ahead and did the modification, removing the wood between the pallet holes to end up with one larger air hole.
It wasn't a particularly difficult job and didn't take that long to do.
The result is very positive, more volume and a brighter tone.

In that case, I might look into doing something similar on my B♭/E♭, which is very, shall we say, discreet in both tone and volume.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lars

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 03:12:42 PM »

Nice looking box - looks like a very well kept old Busilacchio? Great boxes! I rebuilt one to 3v, but despite great sound, it was too damaged to survive (water damage to the plywood), so it's now a source for spares.

I am glad it worked out for you Lars. Did you go C#/D with the new reeds?

I did yeah, replaced the grille and bass panel, and put 3 sets of strong italian reeds. Shortly after that, I got my hands on a Paolo that now gets all the attention, so the Calvi is now strongly up for considering a sale. Great tone, but I just don't play it... The original reeds of the Calvi is now singing away in my early 50's Paolo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal