Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reading music question  (Read 1100 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
reading music question
« on: March 20, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »

So I was trying to learn a tune by ear (dark haired girl) it 's on this site http://www.stringband.mossyroof.com
and listen to it a couple times then pick it out as best I could ( and quietly so I would not wake wife)
then just wanted to see if I got close to written source, got this off another site
X:1
T:Dark Haired Girl, The [1]
M:2/4
L:1/8
R:Breakdown
S:Christeson – Old Time Fiddler’s Repertory, vol. 1, No. 147  (1973)
Z:AK/Fiddler’s Companion
K:G
G/A/|[GB>][GA] [G/B/][G/c/][G/B/][G/A/]|([G2B2] [GB])g|e/d/B/c/ d/B/G/A/|B/G/A/B/ AG/A/|
[GB>][GA] [G/B/][G/c/][G/B/][G/A/]|([G2B2] [GB])g|e/d/B/c/ d/B/c/A/|B<GG/4G/4 G z :|
|:g>a b>g|aa/b/ a/g/e|g/a/b/a/ g>e|dd/e/ d/c/B|
g>a b>g|aa/b/ a/g/e|e/f/g/e/ d/B/A/c/|B<GG/4G/4 G z:|

I was playing in the first couple of measures the second note in the brackets, I guess I was wondering if that is "correct" or if I would need to play both notes where possible ?
It sounded ok to me playing just single note and a fiddle player is playing it in the clip, I not sure if they can even play two notes at the same time?
sorry if another dumb question ::)

Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: reading music question
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »

They certainly can play two notes at a time (:)

What the fiddler is doing in that first bar is keeping his/her third finger down on the D string while playing the melody notes with the first and second fingers on the A string.

He/she may be scrubbing away vigorously with the bow on both strings or being more subtle about it and allowing the G to sound at a lesser volume, depending on the style and the skill of the player.

On a D/C# box you could attempt to reproduce all of that except where G and A sound together, but I don't really see the point.

Sebastian

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »

I was playing in the first couple of measures the second note in the brackets, I guess I was wondering if that is "correct" or if I would need to play both notes where possible ?
Normally the melodic line is represented by the highest notes. Lower notes are normally added only as embellishments and are not compulsory.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »

Thanks for the input!
I wasn't to far off then, I really struggle with trusting what I hear and it's something that I'm working towards getting better at. Then maybe I won't have to hear the name of tune to play it. (:)
not that there's anything wrong with that!!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal