Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons at Witney 2015  (Read 19896 times)

heartshaped1

• Good talker
Re: Melodeons at Witney 2015
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:02 PM »

Cheque in post today, I'm hugely excited! Last year I'd only been playing 8 months and didn't know anyone but everyone I met was so lovely and I'm still learning from the experience.  Oh, and got signed up to play for a Morris team on day 2, which has been a great help in bringing on my playing. To anyone who hasn't been and is worried about being an inexperienced newbie, do take the plunge, you absolutely won't regret it!
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 01:20:51 PM »

Same here,  its probably 'Sidmouth Syndrome' - the temporary bubble which appears to envelop much of English folk in August.
There is a gentleman who looks suspiciously like Chris Dave T. and carries a small round gig bag roaming the streets of Sidmouth just lately.

Postscript:
There was another gentleman who looked suspiciously like a certain Chris T. and carried a small gig bag there too...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:54:00 PM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 02:42:50 PM »

Gosh, to have to book a hotel "in 2 volumes" is a completely new concept ::)

They must have some pretty interesting TripAdvisor commentary? …
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »

Same here,  its probably 'Sidmouth Syndrome' - the temporary bubble which appears to envelop much of English folk in August.
There is a gentleman who looks suspiciously like Chris T. and carries a small round gig bag roaming the streets of Sidmouth just lately.
Do you mean Dave T?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 06:09:57 PM »

Accommodation available for M@W weekend.#### NOW TAKEN ###

I have booked a twin room at the Four Pillars hotel in Witney but will only be using one bed! Anyone interested in taking up the other space is welcome to PM  me. Might be cheaper for you than booking a whole room elsewhere. Also lift available from Sheffield.
Mike  8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:09:01 AM by Mike Carney (Oysterboy) »

butimba

• Regular debater
  • Oxford, UK
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:31 PM »

I'm hoping I can steward, but now slightly worried that everyone will book their places while I'm waiting to hear back and then it will turn out they have enough stewards anyway. Hmm...

But looking forward to hopefully coming along one way or another.
Don't worry! Although MAW is popular, I've never known of people being turned away; it never gets that full. Very rarely, some people might not get their first choices of course units if a sought-after tutor is over-subscribed, but there's always a good alternative. If you've applied to go as a steward, that should be OK too at this stage.

Assume you will be going one way or another and book your accommodation accordingly.

Thanks! That's good to know.

Nice to have something like this to look forward to after post-EAC and Burwell come down.  (:)

oread_uk

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood SuperII D/G; Manfrini 3 voice D/G
    • Music related blog
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 06:48:32 PM »

Paid and booked accommodation :-) Will be good to catch up with the Witney crowd again. I'm guessing the Sheffield Meal no longer goes ahead?

Liz x

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 06:53:16 PM »

Paid and booked accommodation :-) Will be good to catch up with the Witney crowd again. I'm guessing the Sheffield Meal no longer goes ahead?

Liz x

Last year a crowd of us (Dunny, Nicola, Bob, Mark, Sarah & I plus assorted others) arranged a group meal in a great restaurant - I'm pretty sure we said we'd do it again this year.  I'd certainly be up for doing it again.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 08:58:38 PM »

So would I.  :D
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »

OK, so let's do it again. The food was excellent as I recall and the staff were very accommodating dealing with massed crowds of melodeonistas descending on them at short notice. I've messaged most of the crowd that were there last year and I'll be happy to take numbers and handle the booking - although we were lucky getting a table last year I think it might be prudent to book this year.

Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 12:17:59 AM »

Will be good to catch up with the Witney crowd again. I'm guessing the Sheffield Meal no longer goes ahead?

Liz x

OK, so let's do it again. The food was excellent as I recall and the staff were very accommodating dealing with massed crowds of melodeonistas descending on them at short notice. I've messaged most of the crowd that were there last year and I'll be happy to take numbers and handle the booking - although we were lucky getting a table last year I think it might be prudent to book this year.
I didn't organise a Sheffield Melodeon Players and Friends Italian Meal and Silly Competition last year because I was booked as a tutor and I was involved with sound checks, etc. before the Saturday evening concert.

In previous years when I have run the SMPAFIMASC, I have always booked well in advance, usually round about now (mid or late August) and have booked a table for 18 people (it's just about the maximum practical in terms of both space and getting everyone fed in time for returning to the school for the evening concert). Sometimes I have paid a credit card deposit at the time of booking; I was OK with that, knowing that I would probably have little trouble filling the places. Also Liz helped me a couple of years back, too (thanks Liz!).

With the new M@W format, the Saturday workshops finish later, at 5:30 pm, so a restaurant a booking for 5:45 and with people's menu choices given to the restaurant in advance would help speed things along.

I will be at Witney this year with fewer time/responsibility constraints but if you want to organise it again, Helena, I'm sure it would be much appreciated. If you want to run a silly competition as well - always highly entertaining and helps sort out the riff-raff  ;), I can give you some ideas. There are several well-buried threads on the forum which refer to previous events. Here are some which I've found quickly; there are others.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,10329.msg127583.html#msg127583

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2471.msg27240.html#msg27240

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,898.msg7588.html#msg7588
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 09:35:53 AM »

If you want to run a silly competition as well - always highly entertaining and helps sort out the riff-raff  ;), I can give you some ideas.

A silly competition is fine, but let's not have any sorting out of the riff-raff - I am fairly sure that I won't be the only one who will be disqualified from attending if you do that.  >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »

If you want to run a silly competition as well - always highly entertaining and helps sort out the riff-raff  ;), I can give you some ideas.

but let's not have any sorting out of the riff-raff -
Oh, but it's traditional. Have a look at the links.  ;)

And anyway - you've always passed the riff-raff test in previous years, so no worries there.  ;D
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Six Stars

• Good talker
  • Narrowboats and melodeons - what more can I need?
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 10:44:40 PM »

Not having been before, it's this meal prior to the concert on Saturday evening? If so,  can I put in a request for two to be included, Helena?

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 10:38:19 AM »

My cheque in post as well for first trip to m at w.Sounds great. I count myself as a proud member of the riff-raff in spite of education but am always up for good eats if can be squeezed in (groan ..sorry). However if there are too many silly games then might be better to know the resto so as to avoid !
Old Bones Dance Band

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 11:48:18 AM »

Six Stars: Yes, the meal takes place on Saturday evening at an Italian restaurant five minutes walk from the Henry Box School, where Melodeons at Witney is based.

Julian: In previous years, the silly games have taken the form of melodeon-related limericks or haiku submitted in advance. However, since Pikey, Nick and others have flogged limericks to death on this forum, it may be that Helena will come up with something fiendishly new. Watch this space!

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 01:30:34 AM »

. However, since Pikey, Nick and others have flogged limericks to death on this forum, it may be that Helena will come up with something fiendishly new. Watch this space!

Praps this is the year to try the latest craze in alleged poetry, it has roared up the A34 through Hampshire & Berkshire without touching the sides, opinion is divided over what will happen when the A40 is reached but the smart money is on a turn Westwards.

A humerous poem of five lines, one each contributed by five consecutive performers, the first, second, and fifth lines must have seven to ten syllables while rhyming and having the same verbal rhythm. The third and fourth lines only have to have five to seven syllables, and have to rhyme with each other and have the same rhythm. While bearing a vague similarity to the now unfashionable limerick it tends to be in D/G rather than B/C so could appear at events or even on the forum here without giving any reason for upsetting anyone.

Quite why I've yet to discover but these new rhymes are called 'andovers, possibly due to each successive line being handed over for completion ?
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »

If you pre-booked before the individual workshops were announced, then according to their FB page, you should have received an email from Dave Townsend this week asking you to make your choices. If you have not, then read on.....

Mine went straight into my Spam folder, as did Dave's emails to at least three other people. Only a chance conversation caused me to look in that folder and retrieve Dave's email.

Hope that helps someone :)
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »

. However, since Pikey, Nick and others have flogged limericks to death on this forum, it may be that Helena will come up with something fiendishly new. Watch this space!

Praps this is the year to try the latest craze in alleged poetry, it has roared up the A34 through Hampshire & Berkshire without touching the sides, opinion is divided over what will happen when the A40 is reached but the smart money is on a turn Westwards.

A humerous poem of five lines, one each contributed by five consecutive performers, the first, second, and fifth lines must have seven to ten syllables while rhyming and having the same verbal rhythm. The third and fourth lines only have to have five to seven syllables, and have to rhyme with each other and have the same rhythm. While bearing a vague similarity to the now unfashionable limerick it tends to be in D/G rather than B/C so could appear at events or even on the forum here without giving any reason for upsetting anyone.

Quite why I've yet to discover but these new rhymes are called 'andovers, possibly due to each successive line being handed over for completion ?

Eh ?
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »

MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!   ;D
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal