Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: whitby folk week 2015  (Read 41752 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: whitby folk week 2015
« Reply #240 on: September 02, 2015, 08:01:09 AM »

Having been particularly impressed by one Mr A Cutting's triangle playing last Saturday I'm hoping for a workshop led by himself soon... particularly emphasising left hand technique....triangles at Witney maybe ? ;D

He's been playing triangle for a while

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #241 on: September 02, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »

Never in the history of melnet has there been so much grumping about Whitby week....

'Tis true. We enjoyed it, though we were with one of the booked morris teams, so our ability to get to the sessions was severely limited. On our Tuesday day off I accompanied my wife to Bob's Slow and Steady at the ME which did indeed have significant noise from the room above something akin to a boy racer car with a boot full of bass speakers - but I didn't realise what was happening. I took the approach of "relax, chill and enjoy yourself - it's a holiday" - and had a good time. The only other events we got to apart from one concert was Ken Watson's Wednesday session at The Dolphin, which we enjoyed, I missed a dance spot to attend the mel.net meet and one night played for a bit in the Board - and that was it. I too still feel a bit wrecked - not helped by spending BH Monday helping move a canal barge from Burnley to Barnoldswick(!) - but on reflection feel satisfied with the way Whitby went.
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #242 on: September 02, 2015, 09:00:07 AM »

from Burnley to Barnoldswick(!)

Isn't that an Emmylou Harris song?
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #243 on: September 02, 2015, 09:05:51 AM »

oh, sorry...that's THIS one...(warning...may not contain melodeon...but it should and could...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99LAL0Sjl3Y

:|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »

Just got home after a great Whitby. Weather was great, as was the music.
Re the Melnet Thursday session; nobody asked who I was, or introduced themselves. So I still don't know who TF was whom. The only one I know is Chris Ryall.
Enjoyed it though. Would it be better to play round the room, with players introducing themselves, and making their excuses before playing? ;)
Present format appears somewhat cliquey.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #245 on: September 02, 2015, 04:10:53 PM »

Re the Melnet Thursday session; nobody asked who I was, or introduced themselves. So I still don't know who TF was whom. The only one I know is Chris Ryall.
Enjoyed it though. Would it be better to play round the room, with players introducing themselves, and making their excuses before playing? ;)

John

I find that surprising; when I went last year I was made most welcome, and I was meeting everyone there for the first time.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2015, 04:17:51 PM »

Would it be better to play round the room, with players introducing themselves, and making their excuses before playing?

That looks like an excellent idea for starting the meeting. And maybe not in a crowded pub, but in one of those "set-aside" workshop spaces of which there seemed to be several this time? Especially if any of those spaces also had drinks for sale.
One we'd gone round the room once, then it could relax into general chatter and session playing, but at least then we'd know who everyone was...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2015, 04:21:57 PM »

It was nice to meet you at my Intermediate Melodeon Workshop, John. I'm glad you introduced yourself. Not sure if any other melnet members were there, other than Bob Ellis whom I knew, of course.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #248 on: September 02, 2015, 05:44:11 PM »

Sorry, forgot Bob, I also knew him, having introduced myself, at the Rugby Club, camp site.
I still have all the sheet music, BTW :(

John

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »

It was nice to meet you at my Intermediate Melodeon Workshop, John. I'm glad you introduced yourself. Not sure if any other melnet members were there, other than Bob Ellis whom I knew, of course.
I was at both workshops at Whitby and really enjoyed them (having also enjoyed your minor key workshops at Witney last year). Sorry, should have made myself known. N
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2015, 08:25:46 PM »

Would it be better to play round the room, with players introducing themselves, and making their excuses before playing?

That looks like an excellent idea for starting the meeting. And maybe not in a crowded pub, but in one of those "set-aside" workshop spaces of which there seemed to be several this time? Especially if any of those spaces also had drinks for sale.
One we'd gone round the room once, then it could relax into general chatter and session playing, but at least then we'd know who everyone was...
Echo that. Much better idea. I had to make a real effort to say hello to a few people, which wasn't easy in such a crowded space.
M

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #251 on: September 02, 2015, 09:52:48 PM »

(:) had a great time   :|||: :M :|glug so many friendly people, wonderful music ...... apologies for missing the Melnet session but the Eurosessions ran at the same time and were superb ;D  It was a pleasure to hear Chris Ryall in the Station on Thursday, to  have the talent to sing and play at the same time   :D it gave a lift to the afternoon's session.  I need a Tardis for next year  ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »

That looks like an excellent idea for starting the meeting.

Seconded. And that is what we did at the Bb/Eb. I'd say a couple of tunes first to relax us and allow folk from other events  to swing by. So basically we need a volunteer to chair mElsinore next year. And I'd hope he/she would also welcome latecomers in the same way.

The success of a meeing like this should not be measured in the number of melodeons in the room, rather by the number of new friendships joined?

btw A "round the room, introduce oneself" has happened at every french get together I've attended :|glug
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:55:34 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »

Indeed!

g
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2015, 09:22:02 AM »

A sound practice. The session I run here isn't a folk session as there aren't enough of us on the island - at least not within easy reach of one another - for that. Instead it's an Acoustic Music session; folk, blues, pop, jazz, country, whatever - any instrument, any voice. The only rule in NO electronic aids. We operate a "round the circle" system, rather like the old singaround format, you don't HAVE to play or sing each time it comes round to your turn, but most people do. The rule is that everyone present is free to join in unless the performer stipulates it's a solo (no-on ever does!). Newcomers are always welcomed first and asked to reveal as much or as little as they wish beyond name, rank & number, and many of them have become regulars. Most of us know each other now, but there was a time when we didn't, and the "I'm  XXXX  and I'm going to play YYYY in the key of whatever" approach has been an important part of that - and of exposing many of us to types of music we might not otherwise have taken an interest in.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2015, 11:02:04 AM »

I just wish more sessions were like that. I'm going to make sure I announce tunes, and keys of course every time I start a set from now on ( and give my name/if necessary. Maybe it'll catch on !
Old Bones Dance Band

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2015, 11:38:28 AM »

You wouldn't even have to play if you're too shy, or unsure of your abilities. Just make yourself known, when your turn comes round.
I realised that people don't know me by my given name, as I chose to use the handle Cugiok (See you Jock) Not easy to pronounce if you have no Italian, and at best confusing. So the more astute amongst us will note, that I have changed my Melnet name, to correspond with my everyday one.

John

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2015, 12:52:44 PM »

Brill! I've been after that C-Ugi-OK one for ages. ;D
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #258 on: September 03, 2015, 01:00:25 PM »

I always thought it was "see you Jimmy" John. But what do I know being a mere Sassenack. Sp.? 8)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #259 on: September 03, 2015, 02:06:47 PM »

Good point on the lack of intros. I was as guilty as anybody. To help with recognition in the future, I've changed my avatar to one with me on it. Hope this doesn't frighten anybody....

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal