Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B/C tunes?  (Read 1770 times)

blunderbox

• Good talker
B/C tunes?
« on: March 25, 2015, 06:50:40 PM »

I'm looking for some b/c irish trad tutor/recordings, ideally something along the lines of what David Munnelly did with 110 Irish Button Accordion Tunes, which c#/d so the ornamentation comes out differently.  He just plays the tunes through at a moderate tempo.  I don't really need the sheet music, as I can pick it up by ear.  I've played through the Mad for Trad DVD by Derek Hickey and I've learned a bunch of stuff from the various Le Ceoltóiri Cultúrlainne cds, but the details get a bit murky with a large group like that. 

Ideally it would just be audio, no video, and would include playing basses in a natural sort of way; instructional yes, but more just music at a moderate tempo. 

Or maybe there is something similar for fiddle, where someone just plays a bunch of tunes?  I'd be happy to go at it that way and learn from the fiddle.  Any insights welcome.   Thanks.

Gromit

Re: B/C tunes?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:51:36 PM »

Good source for tunes is Comhaltas - here's the latest that happens to be a box player

http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltaslive_463_1all_ireland_button_accordion_champion_2014_michael_curra/

Here's the archive
http://comhaltas.ie/music/archive/C62/

you can download the audio or video.

Steve Jones (who is on this forum) has a great youtube channel for Csharp/D but I find very useful for B/C.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:46:52 PM »

Ideally it would just be audio, no video, and would include playing basses in a natural sort of way; instructional yes, but more just music at a moderate tempo. 

Or maybe there is something similar for fiddle, where someone just plays a bunch of tunes?  I'd be happy to go at it that way and learn from the fiddle.  Any insights welcome.   Thanks.

Do you know about Paddy O'Brien's (the younger, the Offaly one) collection of 500 tunes, originally released on cassette, and recently republished on CD? I think he might even be on to collection no. 2 now.

Played at a moderate tempo on B/C box. They would appear to be just what you want except I must add a caveat, which is that, judging from the few bits I've heard, Paddy puts his own stamp on most of the tunes - if not every tune. His settings are distinctive and often tasty but if you are interested in learning widespread settings then I'm not sure I would recommend them.

Fiddle: decades ago a book and recording was published of 50 tunes played solo for learning by Tommy Peoples. And I think the late Séamus Creagh produced something similar too.

[Edited to correct typos.]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:55:04 PM by Stiamh »

ereeder

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:35:04 PM »

Joe Burke's Traditional Irish Music Collection (a book of 104 tunes in standard notation plus 3 CDs of Joe playing the same, unaccompanied, at moderate tempos) is worth a look. Available directly from Joe.

http://www.joeburkemusic.com/book

blunderbox

• Good talker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 02:08:19 PM »

Thanks very much all.  The Comhaltas stuff is very good, I had no idea the archive was as big as it is.  The Paddy O'Brien recordings are interesting, but as indicated, he seems to put his own stamp on many of the tunes.  At this point, I just need to get my head around the meat and potatoes settings, so it may be something to re-visit in a bit.  I've ordered up a set of the Joe Burke cds, which should give me plenty to chew on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal