Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Squeaky Air Valve Mechanism  (Read 1569 times)

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
Squeaky Air Valve Mechanism
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:10:39 PM »

I have a squeaky air valve mechanism that has suddenly developed.  It is probably where the lever slides between the two metal plates or the spring.  Any tips on how to fix this without removing the mechanism?  To get to the top left screw of the mechanism, I'm afraid I'd have to remove the whole bass mechanism as the angle appears to be impossible to get to.  So I can fix this while it's still in place, that would be great. 

EDIT:
Ok, I have figured out, the the culprit is the spring.  How can I fix this or do I need to replace it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:17:38 PM by Vallenato831 »
Corona III x8

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Squeaky Air Valve Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 04:25:01 AM »

If the spring is sound and working properly but is just squeaking, a light application of graphite will probably do the trick. If you can't get powdered graphite or another DRY lubricant, you can scrape some off the side of the "lead" of an ordinary pencil with a sharp scalpel.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:53:21 AM »

If the spring is sound and working properly but is just squeaking, a light application of graphite will probably do the trick. If you can't get powdered graphite or another DRY lubricant, you can scrape some off the side of the "lead" of an ordinary pencil with a sharp scalpel.

Graham
Useful tip:
Mix the graphite powder with a small quantity of methylated spirit and apply with a small brush. The solvent will carry the graphite between the coils of the spring and then evaporate, leaving the graphite in place.

The best graphite powder is sold as a dry lubricant for locksmiths to use. If you are using pencil lead as a source of graphite, use the softest grade pencil you can obtain. Pencil leads contain clay as well as graphite and this makes them mildly abrasive, which is not what you want. There is less clay in soft pencils compared with hard pencils which have more. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 01:33:06 PM »

Is this the graphite powder you speak of?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-3-g-Powdered-Graphite-Lubricant-703185/100137063

The spring works great, just squeaks too much.  Hopefully I can find this powder today.  Thanks Graham and Steve!!!
Corona III x8

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hillman-Group-3-g-Powdered-Graphite-Lubricant-703185/100137063

The spring works great, just squeaks too much.  Hopefully I can find this powder today.  Thanks Graham and Steve!!!

Just the right stuff  (:)

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:41:40 PM »

Just the right stuff  (:)

Excellent  :|glug
Corona III x8
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal