Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book & CD for ornamention  (Read 1309 times)

boscaceol

• Good talker
Book & CD for ornamention
« on: March 28, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good book for learning ornamentation on the GC box? :||:
GC Saltarelle, self build GC Pariselle

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: Book & CD for ornamention
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »

Ornamentation depends on the genre in which you are playing. Cajun ornamentation, for example, is totally different from Irish ornamentation; that which is used by Tex-Mex musicians would not suit the music of the Auvergne.

If you provide an indication of the type of music you have in mind, we might be able to offer more specific advice, but for the moment I will merely suggest that the book and accompanying CD by Gilles Poutoux entitled Musique-Accordéon, Méthode de Jeu has quite a bit to say about ornamenting French and Irish traditional music. This book is only available in French, which may or may not be a language that you speak. If you do not speak French, I have translated it into English. I agreed sometime ago with the publishers that I would only provide the English translation for people who have already purchased a copy of the book. There is no charge for the translation.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

boscaceol

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:07:40 PM »

Thanks for your reply Bob, I play French and Breton music mostly, I have Gilles Poutoux's book and I get by in French a little but would also appreciate the English translation please. I would also be glad to have your recommendations on other books as well.
merci en avance, John
GC Saltarelle, self build GC Pariselle

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:48:49 PM »

PM sent.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

GBbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »

As far as I can remember, there were some pages devoted to embellishment and ornamentation on the method by Yann Dour. Nothing to write home about, I fear!

If you play the G/C box, I'd suggest the transcriptions of the music played by Frederic Paris made by Jean-Michel Corgeron in Cahier de répertoire. It covers the cassette album Carnet du bal, that's an interesting collection of traditional material, and the Fredéric's original compositions on the  LP Rue deì l'Oiseau (that was released on CD later on). The original, tiny (and glossy) booklet isn't available, but I've seen a cheap reprint in A$ size. It's not a tutorial, but the embellishments used by F.P. are transcibed in full, including the hold notes that are a distinctive feature of the Paris's style.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »

Do you have a link for the Cahier de répértoire by Frédéric Paris
please?  I've wandered around google, found several references but not one for sale :(
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

GBbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »

Sorry, no links. It was an AMTA publication, but if you can't find it on their web site it could be dleted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal