Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: ladydetemps shameless promotion thread  (Read 81482 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
ladydetemps shameless promotion thread
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »

Well I wanted to show some of my latest attempts...as always critique encouraged.

Audio
(playing all the wrong notes in the right order ;) )
http://www.onmvoice.com/play/5391

(One of my fave tunes)
http://www.onmvoice.com/play/5392

video
(I like this tune too....I did it perfect then realised I didn't have the camera on..so this was the best recorded attempt)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAoy6ZGksPI

(painfully slow)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TR_272sRus

(well I like WSWDWTDS)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzWdtKo0K8s

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
Re: ladydetemps shameless promotion thread
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:31:36 PM »

Well done! You are doing very well indeed. Why no basses? You can probably just do a bit of a drone with 'Drunken Sailor'.  :|||:
I don't get 'jigs'

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:35:18 PM »

Well done! You are doing very well indeed. Why no basses? You can probably just do a bit of a drone with 'Drunken Sailor'.  :|||:
well at the moment I'm finding (a) my brain seems to completely collapse when I try to do both sides at once any faster than 'painfully slow' and (b) I'm not sure I completely understand why, where, what and when basses should be used.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »

I like that second tune as well - what it is called?

Regarding bases, you seem to have them well in control on Frere Jacques.  I'd practise that one a lot more to get more fluid and then hope to move the skills you pick up to some of the other tunes.

In answer to "which ones" the Outer ones (G and D in this case) will fit in most of the time, independant of which directon you are travelling in.  Stick to 4/4 (reels) to begin with as 6/8 tunes can be trickier.

I started with all sorts of tunes, but  "shepherds hey" was the one that got me going on the bases (it took about 6 months I seem to recall, although that was over 25 years ago) .  FJ might be your entry to the wonderful world of the bass end!
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:50:27 PM »

I like that second tune as well - what it is called?
The Sloe....

Regarding bases, you seem to have them well in control on Frere Jacques.  I'd practise that one a lot more to get more fluid and then hope to move the skills you pick up to some of the other tunes.
I always seem to have particular trouble when its the dots linked with a bar (I can't remember the name) when it comes to the basses.

In answer to "which ones" the Outer ones (G and D in this case) will fit in most of the time, independant of which directon you are travelling in.  Stick to 4/4 (reels) to begin with as 6/8 tunes can be trickier.
thanks...erm..so is there a reason I would use the inside ones at all?

I started with all sorts of tunes, but  "shepherds hey" was the one that got me going on the bases (it took about 6 months I seem to recall, although that was over 25 years ago) .

well I can play it on concertina using both ends (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKMmvJfmA9E) ...but can't for the life of me get my head to transfer it to melodeon.

FJ might be your entry to the wonderful world of the bass end!
:)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:07:29 PM by ladydetemps »

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 03:02:03 PM »

The Sloe....

Excellent - thanks

I always seem to have particular trouble when its the dots linked with a bar (I can't remember the name) when it comes to the basses.

Not sure I understand what you mean there - don't "worry" about what any music might say - just "play" them as they come!

thanks...erm..so is there a reason I would use the inside ones at all?

yes, sometimes the pull on the inside fits "better".

Brian Read
A STREB!!,
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 04:52:23 PM »

LDT

I would recommend WSWDWTDS on the outside row as it is a minor tune and you only have e minor chord.

juker

• Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »

well at the moment I'm finding (a) my brain seems to completely collapse when I try to do both sides at once any faster than 'painfully slow' and (b) I'm not sure I completely understand why, where, what and when basses should be used.

I wondered if it was one of those tunes that doesn't have basses; quite a few good players on youtube don't seem to play any bass at all.
I don't get 'jigs'

brianread

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »

I think you'll find that those playing semitone boxes (e.g. B/C) often are "unable" to play the basses as they are not in line with the key being played.  Normally (and i will be shot down for this I suspect), those playing "quint" boxes (G/D, C/F etc) in the "natural" keys are able (and usually do) play the basses, in some cases sparingly, and in some cases (e.g .me!) perhaps more than really necessary. <Dons fireproof suit>.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

juker

• Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »

..just listened to the rest of your tunes. I like WSWDWTDS too! Cock of the North is nice too. It is a traditional tune? Did you find the music on the net?
I don't get 'jigs'

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 10:54:26 AM »

..just listened to the rest of your tunes. I like WSWDWTDS too! Cock of the North is nice too. It is a traditional tune? Did you find the music on the net?
got it from here
http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/115

which reminds me...how come if I read the dots I can play the bass..but if I read the (cheat numbers) I can't?
And how come I can seem to read dots in G but not D?

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 11:44:07 AM »

Quote from: ladydetemps
which reminds me...how come if I read the dots I can play the bass..but if I read the (cheat numbers) I can't?

No idea...unless it's because you're reading the rhythm from the dots, but can't from cheat numbers because they don't show any rhythm? I find it impossible to play from the cheat numbers, and have done right from the beginning, so I can't really talk  :D

And how come I can seem to read dots in G but not D?

I find it much easier to play from the dots G than D, but I'm not sure why! But since that's only in the beginning when you're learning a tune, it's not really relevant for long, since you should then be playing it from memory ;D However, personally I think it's something to do with the notes on the lines being on the push - somehow that makes more sense to my brain  :o ::)  ???
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:46:19 AM by Ellie »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:55:36 PM »

No idea...unless it's because you're reading the rhythm from the dots, but can't from cheat numbers because they don't show any rhythm?
Can't be that coz the numbers are above/below the dots....and I can't get rythum from dots anyway. ???
I think its because the part of my brain working out what button is what number conflicts with the should I play um-pa bit of my brain...or something...well that's my theroy.

I find it much easier to play from the dots G than D, but I'm not sure why! But since that's only in the beginning when you're learning a tune, it's not really relevant for long, since you should then be playing it from memory
my memory is terrible... ::) :o

tried memorising cock of the north..ended up getting stuck in a loop...like not being able to get off a moving roundabout and move to the next bars.

however, personally I think it's something to do with the notes on the lines being on the push - somehow that makes more sense to my brain
Yes push line/pull gap makes much more sense....but then there's the little finger which is push gap/pull line....which I always get wrong first time.

brianread

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:08:35 PM »

Cock of the North is a 6/8  tune - try to concentrate on 4/4 tunes where you do not need the "gap", it took me another year to master that if i remember correctly.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »

Cock of the North is a 6/8  tune - try to concentrate on 4/4 tunes where you do not need the "gap", it took me another year to master that if i remember correctly.
11 months to go then for me ;)
Only been 'playing' just over a month...with 50+ hours practice done so far  :-\
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:23:26 PM by ladydetemps »

John C

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:33:12 AM »

As someone who tends to lurk in the shadows and hide his light - I'm impressed that you have put something on You Tube and are hopefully having fun with both the Concertina and the Melodeon.

I was concerned about splitting my time between the Piano Accordion and the Melodeon but you have reminded me its about having fun and that we/I shouldn't be too self conscious and thats important.

A good and useful contribution to this site.

Thank you
John
Saltarelle Laurentide GCF, Saltarelle Cheviot ADG

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 12:36:46 PM »

As someone who tends to lurk in the shadows and hide his light - I'm impressed that you have put something on You Tube and are hopefully having fun with both the Concertina and the Melodeon.
I'm a shy person in real life....and putting videos on youtube/playing to the camera is (I hope) helping me to  feel more confident about playing when others are watching/listening.

I was concerned about splitting my time between the Piano Accordion and the Melodeon but you have reminded me its about having fun and that we/I shouldn't be too self conscious and thats important.

Well recording the videos...has taught me I can't get it 100% every time (mostly 90% I'm working on the other 10%) and that I've gotta keep going even if I make mistakes...

I do feel a little guilty though when I keep neglecting the concertina for melodeon.  :-[

A good and useful contribution to this site.
thank you  :|||:

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2009, 01:52:13 PM »

latest update..see I am trying to use the basses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvn2Y-ePvO8

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 02:54:58 PM »

Next task:

Relax that left hand!!!!!  :|||: ;)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

HallelujahAl

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 03:50:06 PM »

do feel a little guilty though when I keep neglecting the concertina for melodeon.

Me too - haven't even looked at the 'tina lately - got to admit though, there's more going on over here than at concertina.net which has been one of my other haunts.
AL
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal