Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this normal???  (Read 1013 times)

Grape Ape

Is this normal???
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:51:02 AM »

I am developing what I consider to be a bad habit, and that is that I keep figuring out PART of tunes/songs by ear, but cannot figure out the rest.  In other words, i may figure out part A but not parts B and C, or even sometimes figure out the middle of a song but not the beginning and the end. 

It is kind of frustrating because parts of the song and not necessarily even the easiest part of the song come to me rather naturally, but not the rest.

Is there a cure? Or any advice on how to overcome this?
I am developing a repretoire of a bunch of incomplete songs (tunes, Chris Ryall, as I know you draw a powerful distinction), and I would really like to convert these half songs into songs I can play in full.

Sorry if this belongs in the "Dear Marge" thread, Theo you may move if necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Frank

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Re: Is this normal???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:39:14 AM »

This is very normal. I suspect your ear is picking up the interesting bits first Ie the bits that make this tune different from all the others.

I just listen to the whole tune over and over and over etc again, until I can hum it all the way through.

Even with that technique, there are plenty of tunes that I can't remember all the way through.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 08:15:51 AM »

Not just me then. I am not a natural 'by ear' learner, but there's a couple of bits of tunes that I've picked up like that. Not necessarily the dame same as anyone else's version, though.

PS autocorrect is not my friend this morning.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 08:21:12 AM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 08:17:49 AM »

Be your own Dame I'd say Malcolm
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:26:07 AM »

In answer to Frank's OP . Pikey's right. We are all a bit like that. You need to listen and listen until you can hum it right through. But not just in your head. Hum it out loud, as any actor will tell you. Head learning is not good enough. You might have it in your head ,that doesn't necessarily transpose to voice or fingers.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal