Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian garmoshka of the day - the "ordinary" Cherepashka  (Read 35018 times)

Melodeon Marodeur

• Melodeon Marodeur
Russian garmoshka of the day - the "ordinary" Cherepashka
« on: April 06, 2015, 01:10:10 AM »

This instrument is called "ordinary" because there were other types being made later on. There are two theories on how the name Cherepashka (черепашка) originated. The first one is, that they are small Cherepovki, hence Cherepashka (literally meaning little Cherepovka) or it comes from 'cherepakh', meaning 'turtle', diminutive ending making it 'little turtle', which is lovely, just as the instrument.

It is basically a very, very small russian garmoshka, usually with five keys, but there where with four, three and even two keys. They do not have basses. It is bisonoric, and has the typical russian layout (inverted compared to german one row).

They started becoming popular in the 1870:s and were most widespread during the 80:s and 90:s. It is still in use in Russia, and is often used for playing high pitched solos in folk ensembles playing Saratov-boxes. Some models were made, where the bellow is made out of a boot shaft, making the instrument look like a boot. The idea probably originated from the practice of blowing air into the samovar to get a nice glow using ones boot.

On the picture added the Cherepashki are posing together with match-box to give an impression of size.

This time I also managed to find a clip where a Cherepashka is being played in virtuoso style by Nikolai Zabenkin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKf9YwnA53s
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:57:13 AM by Melodeon Marodeur »

stevejay

Re: Russian garmoshka of the day - the "ordinary" Cherepashka
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:54:52 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpWiOTToiGE

At @ 4 minutes in the cherepashka is played. It sounds very Chinese to my ear, and might easily fit into a Chinese or Mongolian musical ensemble?

911377brian

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 08:52:21 AM »

Want one! Seriously,where would one source such a beast? And how much? And would Lester retune it for me? >:E

Sebastian

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:23:34 AM »

One is played shortly in the beginning of this video about the Museum Alfred Mirek by G. Vasilyev. It is treated more detailed from 13:20 on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnTZmqtIftw

911377brian

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:19:44 PM »

Melodeon Maredeur, are these little boxes still made in Russia?

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:32:48 PM »

Here is another, starting at 2:34
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpWiOTToiGE
examples of 5,4 and 3 key versions with one and two hand technique
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:38:07 PM by Psuggmog Volbenz »
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »

I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes

911377brian

Ordinary Cherepashka. - -
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 03:38:09 PM »

Not having had any replies on a related thread I'm going to take a pop at it here...Are the little Ordinary Cherepashka boxes still made? Where can they be found if that is the case?. I've started to take an unhealthy interest in the little beasties....

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 10:46:44 AM »

[[ADMIN]]
Topics merged.
It's not helpful to start a new topic on the exact same subject.  If it gets a response it will just split the discussion into two and cause confusion.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 11:01:51 AM »

Brian,

Apologies if anyone has linked this before,

edited to actually include link  :|bl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h2a1ujVKK4

(in which case I'd not followed it) but it has to be the most eccentric collection I've seen played, presumably home conversions rather than commercial instruments.............
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:40:51 AM by Broadland Boy »
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

911377brian

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 11:31:18 AM »

Sorry Theo, I was split as to where to place it as I'd really like to buy an 'Ordinary' if I knew where to source one. I could have worded it better. :|bl ... And Richard, I think you must be correct, as I've had no response to my request for sourcing information...had hoped that Maradeur might have some info...

triskel

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »

... it has to be the most eccentric collection I've seen played, presumably home conversions rather than commercial instruments.............

These seem to occupy the same realm as the novelty miniature concertinas that were played by clowns and music-hall performers in Britain and sometimes made to break in half and still play, or be hidden inside something else - so the "Russian boot" form of these is actually traditional and not at all unusual.

Quote from: Alfred Mirek - "Reference Book on Harmonicas"
CHEREPASHKA. Playing the small instrument made for circus and variette [sic read "variety"] performances, was a great success with the public. In the 1880s manufacturing of the portable harmonicas for order was a usual state of things. Moreover the portable five-valve harmonicas were produced by numerous plants. ... From that time on "Cherepashka" (s) with ratings of 4, 3 or even 2 keys were being manufactured for order.

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »

So a 'novelty' instrument made as such rather than something adapted to a novelty form by an end user - I guess while not factory made in the Hohner sense, smaller workshop or artisan builder / assembler production could be far more flexible and (given the absence of an illustration from your prodigious collection of trade literature triskel ;) ) probably undocumented.

Do you think the button and other style elements look to be more recent than the revolution ? if so, officialdom may have had more sense of humour than history implies.

Must add Faberge Cherepashka to my ebay searches  ;D

Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

911377brian

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 05:18:58 PM »

That link was a hoot Richard! None of them looked old in fact the first one looked as if the keyboard might be plastic, so I suppose it's quite possible that they have been made relatively recently...what do you think Stephen?

Grape Ape

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »

I want one too! Google yields nothing, except videos, and a military vest of the same name that looks like it would be useful if one had about 10 of these little boxes and wanted to carry them all at once hands free.  Might they go by another name?

911377brian

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »

Good evening GrapeApe, I also got nowhere on Google and am now stumped. It's a rare thing when a shout for information on Melnet doesn't produce the goods....didn't think the military vest would suit me either...

triskel

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »

Like miniature concertinas, these are probably not at all common and usually specially made for entertainers, I don't think they're an everyday commercial item.

The smallest commercial Russian accordions I can find for sale are the top three on this page; http://www.bastontula.ru/shop/jazychkovye/brand-shujskaja_garmon

911377brian

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »

Thanks Stephen,that's a bit sad and disappointing! Perhaps a Russian member might be able to help...Melodeon Marodeur who started this thread seems to have gone to ground...

triskel

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »

Google yields nothing, except videos, and a military vest of the same name that looks like it would be useful if one had about 10 of these little boxes and wanted to carry them all at once hands free.  Might they go by another name?

Try searching in Russian with a search term like черепашка гармонь, though the nearest you're likely to get is the harmonica "Kroha" (ГН-25) that that website lists as measuring 230 х 125 х 200мм, though elsewhere it's said to be only 195 х 95 х 175мм - but still nothing like as small as a Cherepashka.

Otherwise it leads to numerous pictures of Chanson style Chinese boxes!

And to An exhibition from the National Museum of the Republic of Tatarstan "harmony - the soul of the people ... ", which includes a Russian boot style Cherepashka, and a samovar one.

Sebastian

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 12:22:56 AM »

You could write to the Alfred Mirek Museum of russian accordions. The e-mail adress is garmonikam(at)yandex.ru.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal