Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian garmoshka of the day - the "ordinary" Cherepashka  (Read 35011 times)

911377brian

Re: Russian garmoshka of the day - the "ordinary" Cherepashka
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 08:37:42 AM »

Thanks Sebasian, I've sent them an email...I'll copy it to Melnet if I get a reply...

Melodeon Marodeur

• Melodeon Marodeur
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 02:38:16 PM »

I have been trying to check some of the russian factories, without luck. I figure that many off the instruments being played today are old items being taken care of very well. I believe that a similar instrument was common in Georgia (it could have been another country in Caucasus) and it is possible that production is going on in the east. I do not speak georgian, but I will try to ask around.

triskel

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 09:35:27 PM »

Try searching in Russian with a search term like черепашка гармонь, though the nearest you're likely to get is the harmonica "Kroha" (ГН-25) that that website lists as measuring 230 х 125 х 200мм, though elsewhere it's said to be only 195 х 95 х 175мм - but still nothing like as small as a Cherepashka.

I got to have a go on a "Kroha" last week, at the Musikmesse (Music Trade Show) in Frankfurt, and it's like playing on 7 of the white notes (C to B) of a piano accordion keyboard. They were exhibiting a red one and a green one, but reckoned they couldn't sell me one of them as a sample because they had to take everything back with them again.  :( (I'd be busy now trying to convert it to diatonic if they had  ;))

I was also talking to a maker of Saratovkas (Saratovskaya Garmoshkas/Garmonikas - the ones with the bells on!), on the same Russian stand, who reckoned he could make a batch of 10 of them that would play "on the press" instead of "on the draw" - if enough people were interested in getting one...  :||:

911377brian

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 09:39:14 PM »

I'd be interested Stephen !!!

Sebastian

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 10:04:19 PM »

I was also talking to a maker of Saratovkas (Saratovskya Garmoshkas/Garmonikas - the ones with the bells on!), on the same Russian stand, who reckoned he could make a batch of 10 of them that would play "on the press" instead of "on the draw" - if enough people were interested in getting one...  :||:
(Today a regular Saratovskaya was sold on german ebay for about 102 €.)

I understand it, that you made contact to the box maker and could act as an intermediary. Am I right in supposing that I could order an inspected Saratovskaya (a regular or a switched one) through you?

911377brian

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 10:06:05 PM »

Sadly I've had no reply to my email to the Alfred Mirek Museum..perhaps they think that my enquiry is a wind up.. ???

triskel

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »

Did he give an indication of the price?

Not yet Tom, though such a lack of any price information or price lists would be highly unusual from an exhibitor (in this case an export agency) at an international trade show like that - in fact it seemed to suggest a bureaucracy, red tape, and secrecy that might yet stand in the way of actually doing any business with them at all...  ??? (Never mind that their instruments are all specifically "Russian" as they stand, and that there are trade sanctions going on at the moment anyway.)

But the guy doing the Saratovkas (a new model, not the usual "tourist" one) seemed much more interested and easier to deal with and I hope to hear from him soon (like me, he probably only got home today, exhausted, too).

triskel

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:06 PM »

Sadly I've had no reply to my email to the Alfred Mirek Museum..perhaps they think that my enquiry is a wind up.. ???

Or, if there's anybody there who speaks English, they might see it as being outside their scope - after all, they're an accordion museum, not dealers...

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »

Or, if there's anybody there who speaks English, they might see it as being outside their scope - after all, they're an accordion museum, not dealers...

Well, I think they ignored cos it was in English Language. Russia has a really low level of english Language. We can tell about that practically just the young people really can speak/understand messages in English, and just in the biggest centers like Moscow, Saint Petersburgh. Actually you can tell about in these both main center you are lucky in find an older person fluent in english, as in the smaller cities, you will never find!  ::)

I recommend so, you try any SIMPLE and SHORT message in RUSSIAN, using the translators available in the web. Never a long message, because in this case the translators tend to present many mistakes in the real sense of your message.
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

911377brian

« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 08:41:15 AM »

Agreed, they are not dealers but I asked them if they knew of anyone still making them.I've a mind to give them another go..

triskel

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35:05 PM »

There's a fancier Saratovka on the shelf behind me, and a plainer model in my hands.

But I'm still waiting for more information.  :(

Melodeon Marodeur

• Melodeon Marodeur
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 09:20:30 PM »

Hello again,

I am sorry for following up threads that I start in such an irregular manner. First, about the cherepashka. I have asked around, and could not find any good information about cherepashki in Georgia, apart from it being called tsiko-tsiko and being considered a woman´s instrument. About cherepashki in Russia today, it really seems that they were somewhat abandoned after Nevskij and Varshavskij developed them further. It seems that there have been some confusion going on in Russia as well, as one row instruments tend to be looked upon as toys (apart from the Saratovka of course). Most older types are old instruments, since the development of the "Hromka", which is built to allow playing in minor keys, which is very common in Russian folk music. The Saratovka did remain its popularity since there was already a very big repertoire developed for it.

I did not believe upon posting this, that there would be so much reactions. I understand now, that the interest and knowledge on this forum truly is immense.

By the way, I have a Saratovka sitting around at my house. First I just wanted to learn to play it, and then I was thinking of moving the reed plates, but since I already got started with the German style (which is the traditional in Sweden) it seems to be an over-kill. It is tuned in E, which I find strange. If anybody is interested I am willing to sell it cheaply, just to know that it will get a good home.

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »

I wonder if you could make a Cherepashka with harmonica reeds?
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

triskel

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 05:45:22 PM »

I wonder if you could make a Cherepashka with harmonica reeds?

If you could make the rest of it, but isn't that pretty-much what a Chanson is?  ???

Though the Brazilian harmonica makers Hering used to make a much nicer version, like the little pokerwork one of theirs that I've got:

Matthew B

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »

Here are some people making Georgian folk instruments, including the tsiko-tsiko, and who seem to have pretty decent English:
http://www.hangebi.ge/eng/gallery-2-tsiko-tsiko.html
And they have an online order form:
http://www.hangebi.ge/eng/order.html

They also have a thing called a "buzika", which looks a lot like a concertina.  Sadly it seems both buzika and tsiko-tsiko are only for women.  Says so right on the website. 

Oh well . . . .
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

dino.pafftti

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »

is a good seasoning, this is good, (:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MAngjlaVnM

911377brian

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2015, 09:43:08 PM »

Very helpful Mathew. I've emailed them with a view to getting my hands on a Tsiko Tsiko. Didn't think it necessary to tell them I'm not a woman...

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2015, 09:50:20 PM »

We won't let on, Brian. Wonder what reeds they use. Interesting tone, not shrill.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

triskel

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2015, 10:35:21 PM »

Here are some people making Georgian folk instruments, including the tsiko-tsiko, and who seem to have pretty decent English:
http://www.hangebi.ge/eng/gallery-2-tsiko-tsiko.html
And they have an online order form:
http://www.hangebi.ge/eng/order.html

Ah, great!

Hopefully they're a lot more responsive than the Russians I met at the Frankfurt Music Trade Fair, who still haven't got back to me with any information yet...  :(

They also have a thing called a "buzika", which looks a lot like a concertina. 

I thought the buzika in the photo appeared to have thumbstraps, like an English concertina, and was very aware that that instrument was exported to and played in Tsarist Russia - then found another gallery on the same site with a second photo that makes it very clear that it is indeed an English, in fact it looks very much like an old rosewood-ended Lachenal with new bellows: http://www.hangebi.ge/eng/gallery-2-buzika.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal