Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative grille for Sandpiper  (Read 7851 times)

Boxhead

• Good talker
Alternative grille for Sandpiper
« on: April 11, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share this picture of the new grille Mrs Boxhead has designed and made for her 21 button b/c Sandpiper. She used a laser cutter. This is her first attempt at making a grille. It was one of the older models with the Oakwood styling.  She would be far too modest to post this but I think it deserves a share.

regards

Boxhead
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:47:00 AM by Boxhead »

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Alternative grille for Sandpiper
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »

V nice. When you say, laser cutter, do you mean she designed it, and got someone with a laser cutter to cut it out. Or do you possess such a wonderful item?

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »

Hi Cugiok, Yes she designed it and made it. She has a background in art and design and has access to a laser cutter, actually two laser cutters!

Roger Howard

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »

Congratulate her on a lovely design. What a great way to personalise the instrument!  (:)

Roger

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:19:16 PM by Roger Howard »
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »

Nice work, there could be a market there for personal grills!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »

Fascinating - and very, very nice :) Hats off to your friend.

I possibly can get access to a laser cutter.... I know it had previously been used to make commemorative remembrance crosses - the smoke (creosote) can be an issue.
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »

Beautifully done. Some very light grille cloth under it would enhance it I think, as well as keep dust out.
(:)

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 01:34:03 PM »

Indeed, I am going to sacrifice the replacement grille cloth that Theo sent me a while back when I bought my Sandpiper from him. I think this is a worthy cause!

Can anybody tell me the best way for her to attach the cloth to the grille ?

will post another pic when completed
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:03:56 PM by Boxhead »

invadm

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »

Nice work, there could be a market there for personal grills!
I have 2 boxes with out the grill and keep thinking what/how to do...if your friend starts taking orders please add me on the list for two  :D
very nice job  indeed..

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 05:02:08 PM »

It got really beautiful. Congratulations. Charming and different. You told about laser cutting. Looking at a first I would talk about he use that same technique that they use in jewelry.

Like here, another photo of Castagnari: (the 2 initial photos here)

This saw device he is using in the photo is the same same used in jewelry. According I saw in little movies and documentaries it seem these grills are made this way also (same technique here at the 2 initial photos, is used to do this grills in these both photos here (the last 2 photos).

Are you sure about he used this laser? Cause it's not necessary exactly complex techniques to produce such effect.

The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 06:05:59 PM »

Sorry bra-box but Castagnari have been using laser cutters for 10 years now. They only use the fretsaw for special jobs.
The bottom two photos that you posted show laser cut grilles.
They also laser cut the bass panels.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 06:15:34 PM »

Thought everyone used laser? Even vanderAa (1/month) and Bergflodt (about the same?) do.

Might even include the renouned "one-row" Wesson Bra-Clip?  >:E
  _       _    _      _ 

AirTime

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 06:38:01 PM »

Does this mean that older Castas have saw-cut grills? My Handry has the older style logo, which definitely has a hand-cut look to it. I can't imagine cutting the newer "signature" logo with a saw! It's hard to see much difference between the older Casta grills & newer ones though.

What about the older Hohner grills? Would they have been hand-cut, or was there some other, pre-laser, process for mass-producing the grills?
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 06:43:03 PM »

Sorry bra-box but Castagnari have been using laser cutters for 10 years now. They only use the fretsaw for special jobs.
The bottom two photos that you posted show laser cut grilles.

Ahh ok. No problem. If you sure about it so, ok. I was talking cause I imagined actually that was this way, with the FRETSAW (so that's the name  :D)
Ive seem sometimes this work with wood, and I am sure about it still exists in jewelry industry... in the work with metals.

But if they are cutting the wood now with laser ok. This Castagnari grill really seem veeeery well finished, and these roles and details in forms in the grill. Very professional work.

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 06:46:31 PM »

Does this mean that older Castas have saw-cut grills? My Handry has the older style logo, which definitely has a hand-cut look to it. I can't imagine cutting the newer "signature" logo with a saw! It's hard to see much difference between the older Casta grills & newer ones though.

What about the older Hohner grills? Would they have been hand-cut, or was there some other, pre-laser, process for mass-producing the grills?

Yeah, I believe the olders always will be cutter this way in the hand ... cause just the name LASER isolated already make you think about it wouldnt be available for us in the times of the Hohners of the 30's   (:)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 06:51:09 PM »

and I am sure about it still exists in jewelry industry... in the work with metals.

My lad makes mediaeval armour, and several other bespoke metalwear things in up to 3mm steel. 
He wouldn't dream of using a fretsaw.  Plasma cutter is much quicker and more accurate :|glug

[ed] apologies to Boxhead and his lovely wife Goldiloxhead in this
  We are all way off topic. That's nicely made, especially if a first go  (:)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 06:55:12 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »

Hi everyone, Mrs Boxhead is delighted with all the lovely comments..!

Here's the finished item with Theo's grille cloth

I think there may be some more designs in the pipeline...!

Fascinating to see the use of the fret saw in the pictures above, thanks for that.

@invadm we have been thinking about ways to possibly go about this in the future, you are top of the list should Mrs B decide to take it any further. It's a difficult thing to do by distance, requires design skills and extremely precise measurements etc.Will let you know.

Regards

Boxhead ( Mr)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:42:39 PM by Boxhead »

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 08:27:57 PM »

My lad makes mediaeval armour, and several other bespoke metalwear things in up to 3mm steel. 
He wouldn't dream of using a fretsaw.  Plasma cutter is much quicker and more accurate :|glug
[ed] apologies to Boxhead and his lovely wife Goldiloxhead in this
  We are all way off topic. That's nicely made, especially if a first go  (:)

Hello Ryall, how are you?

This video here please: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZK5bKC_qAM

The video is interesting and with a soundtrack very pleasant and relaxing. If you don't have time or patience to watch the entire video, so please just check the time 1:40 til 2:20 in this video. This is the technique I was telling came basically from the jewelry and in the photos above I showed Castagnari using the same device the fretsaw to to some parts in the wood, some pieces. I believe in the preview times, this technique was very used to make the detailed parts of the melodeons as the grills and other little logos... It is still used in jewelry as we can see in the video in this time I indicated the guy is cutting with the fretsaw, some little hearts in gold.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »

Before Castagnari got their laser machine, the guy with the fretsaw worked the longest hours of all the employees arriving at 5am - very labour intensive but man, he was good.
Now they just press a button and ping, there's another grille (and some smoke).
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 12:02:43 AM »

Yeah Rees,

A great comparison always between the handicraft and the machinery ...
These new grills as these photos Ive put here above, they seem really detailed and a very precise work undoubtedly... we can also compare with the girl our friend post here AirTime posted his Handry 18bass. Look this grill that is seems was really hand cut, and look the girl of my 4th photo there above. So, we can see that ... it seems they went much far about the complexity of the designs and the wealth of details in the grills.

It seem before when hand cut, there was a "limit" there was apparently a limit to how far they could dare. Can you realize that the older grill are much more simple. As the new designs have so varied forms in a same grill, different textures and sizes of the holes, and flowers and triangle and crowns... and...  ::)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal