Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative grille for Sandpiper  (Read 7840 times)

savantuk

• A Shropshire lad
  • Respected Sage
  • Location - Whitchurch, Shropshire.
Re: Alternative grille for Sandpiper
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »

Hi,

I think your wife did a wonderful job, and now it's been lined, it looks even better.

May I make a suggestion??

I don't wish to appear rude, but the screws fixing the grille look very 'out of place', and I think, stop the whole job looking perfect, because they aren't sitting flush with the surface of the wood.  It looks as though you have used screws designed for counter sinking, which stand proud of the grille.

It would be easy, and a job of a few minutes to countersink the holes in the grille, and then the screw heads would sit flush with the surface, or, alternatively, swap the countersink screws for dome headed screws, so that the screwhead, at least, sit's flush on the wooden surface.  This would make it look as if the screws were meant to be there, rather than as an afterthought.

Personally, I'd use slotted screws rather than Phillips.  I always think they look more traditional, and less 'industrial.

Doug

Hi everyone, Mrs Boxhead is delighted with all the lovely comments..!

Here's the finished item with Theo's grille cloth

I think there may be some more designs in the pipeline...!

Fascinating to see the use of the fret saw in the pictures above, thanks for that.

@invadm we have been thinking about ways to possibly go about this in the future, you are top of the list should Mrs B decide to take it any further. It's a difficult thing to do by distance, requires design skills and extremely precise measurements etc.Will let you know.

Regards

Boxhead ( Mr)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:59:30 AM by savantuk »
Regards,

Doug

Castagnari Tommy D/G ~  Castagnari Max in C ~ Irish Dancemaster converted toy in C with Cagnoni reeds

Gromit

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 05:48:23 PM »

As there are cross heads or phillips on the keyboard it may be better to stick with those screws and use screw cups or change them all to slotted screws (in which case line the heads up ie slots in same direction)

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 03:26:29 PM »

Yes Doug you are right, have just checked the original grille and the holes are indeed countersunk. I will draw her attention to this later.

How do you make the countersunk holes, is there a special tool?

Regards

Boxhead

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 03:47:11 PM »

A countersink drill bit is a short stumpy bit with a very flared end to it to give the countersinking effect.
I use it if countersinking  some wood to loose the screw head though I'm normally using size 10 screws.
I assume there's a smaller version available for such delicate work?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Roger Howard

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 04:18:56 PM »

Yup ...just take a sample screw along to your local DIY place. The grille looks great already, but that will make it just perfect. Congratulations! :D

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 08:27:44 PM »

Laser cutters are awesome. Do you have it through work or is this a hackspace like me?
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 10:03:39 PM »

One further suggestion - your grill seems to be sitting below the edge of the case.  It would look neater if you place some packing to bring the top of the grill up to be flush with the top edges of the case.  Strips of card would be suitable as packing.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2015, 10:16:39 AM »

Thanks Thrup and Roger, Mrs B said she did actually try and program the cutter to get the countersink by using engrave mode but it didn't quite do it.

A very busy person is Mrs B, she doesn't seem to be losing sleep over the countersink but I am sure she will do it eventually

Ukebert, Hi, the laser cutters she uses are part of a community resource for artists and makers here in Liverpool. Once you have done the training you can book the laser cutter and use it.

Theo, thanks, I notice again the original grille has thin strips as you describe along the edge of the frame. I am sure this will be sorted soon.

I didn't notice these details as I was just so totally impressed with the new grille, but I can see the issues now. We both appreciate people's input.

We are going to The Music Room this weekend to get some TLC for that box, one of the buttons is crunching a bit and it feels like its going to go. She replaced the felt underneath as the button was occasionally getting trapped under the fingerboard, this cured the trapping but it still feels crunchy.

It's a long way to go for repairs but AFAIK there is nobody in Liverpool who does this kind of thing. Anyone know anybody?

Hope this can be fixed in situe as I am going to borrow this box as my emergency spare. Got gigs coming up very soon, weddings etc and am terrified of some disaster happening onstage and ruining someone's big day because I didn't have a spare box with me.

Regards

Boxhead
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:28:20 AM by Boxhead »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »

Roy Whitely in Cheshire would be much closer http://www.accordionmagic.com/
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Boxhead

• Good talker
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »

Cheers Theo, we've just phoned him.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »

As there are cross heads or phillips on the keyboard it may be better to stick with those screws and use screw cups or change them all to slotted screws (in which case line the heads up ie slots in same direction)

Do you know, that was the one thing I was disappointed with in building the Pariselle, the use of cruciform screws. I hate the things. I never seem to have the right bit for the screw. They look ugly and how many types are there? Buy a box of cruciform screw bits and it weighs probably half a Kilo.
   The only thing these horrible screws were designed for ( by Philips) was so a machine could screw them in, which is difficult with a slotted screw.  Can you imagine a piece of Chipendale furniture put together with Philips screws.  :o
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 12:54:50 PM »

Can you imagine a piece of Chipendale furniture put together with Philips screws.  :o

I can't imagine a piece of Chippendale furniture with any screw heads showing, and probably not used at all!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Gromit

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »

Phillips and pozidrive are the main two types in use, seperate bits or screwdrivers required for each type - as you say designed for power tools. I only use slotted's for cabinet work and invariably brass (only brass if oak).

Chippendale furniture - seems like handmade nails used occasionally

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »

Ah yes!  Steel dowels ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 10:14:17 PM »

Ukebert, Hi, the laser cutters she uses are part of a community resource for artists and makers here in Liverpool. Once you have done the training you can book the laser cutter and use it.

yup, a hackspace, like makespace in Cambridge where I built mine. Long may they prosper!
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal