Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Session tunebooks  (Read 3132 times)

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
Session tunebooks
« on: April 12, 2015, 09:26:34 AM »

OK, there's Lester's tunebook, there's the Lewes tunebook. I'm pretty sure there must be other session tunebooks that wouldn't mind a wider circulation.
I quite fancy uploading them to, as PDF ('coz wikis can't cope with ABC), or putting links to ABC files from, http://folkopedia.efdss.org/wiki/Music as long as people don't mind.
If you have a tunebook that could be made available to a wider audience, please post a link here.

TomB-R

Re: Session tunebooks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »

Do you mean tunebooks specific to the tunes currently in vogue at a particular session, or something a bit wider?

In the wider category there's Paul Hardy's terrific collection.
http://www.pghardy.net/concertina/tunebooks/#session
(Chords included, though I have noticed that in the chords there are a lot of cases where a minor is given where a IV is just fine. Not criticising, just noting.)

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 10:14:29 AM »

That's just the ticket. It seems to cover both the things you describe. I'm hoping that each collection will be of tunes that the compiler regards as useful in the wild. The intention is to help newcomers to traditional music get an idea of the terrain.  I would expect that the minimum number of tunes in a collection would be several dozen. I've started the list with that one, and will add plenty more.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 10:23:32 AM »

Chords are always a matter of choice, Tom? I'd see ii IV even vi as equivalent, sub dominant, maybe leading up to a musical climax , or subsiding like an old man's love. The choice has as much to do with the style of music in play as with cadence. Folk does IV V I, Jazz ii V I, etcetera.

Thanks for the resource link
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Brimley

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »

Thanks for the link to Paul Hardy's wonderful collection.  I agree about chords being a matter of choice - Just browsing through, his chord accompaniments look as if they have been well thought-out, with interesting variations between ii and IV for example, at just the right places to give the tunes some lift, without being too 'busy'.  I didn't spot any variations between first and second times through each section though (which I quite like sometimes), but maybe I haven't looked at enough of the vast selection.

TomB-R

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »

Chords are always a matter of choice, Tom?
Absolutely, I agree with both Chris-es.  As said, I don't want to criticise Paul Hardy's collection which is a great resource, and a very generous contribution of an awful lot of work.

But.... chords are a matter of choice, and more advanced players will make their own choices, substitutions and variations, but a more novice-ish player may rely on the chords given, and may not be so aware of choices, so I'd say to them do enjoy the Paul Hardy collection, but be very ready to try alternatives when he puts in a minor.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 11:50:51 AM »

I find chord choice interesting, and I'm thinking of a series of tune books I've purchased over the years.
I will try them, as I like to see how someone else will play a tune, but agree with the concensus here and often tweak it for my ear rather than slavishly follow their choice.
I have Paul Hardy's collections and yes, a lot of good work in there.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »

Not a session tune book so it may not suit the criteria but here is a collection of tunes I've posted in a thread on Concertina.net that started in back July 2008. Every one of these tunes has intrigued me for one reason or another and earned their place in Something For The Weekend.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 11:40:09 PM »

Folkopedia!  (:) It's really interesting. I've never listened about it. But I am enjoying it a lot right now. Thanks  :||:
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

Spectacled Warbler

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 01:20:38 AM »

The tunebook from the Beech session in Chorlton is worth a look, a lot of work has been put into it, and they're still seeking new tunes, currently asking on Mudcat for ideas about waltzes to introduce to the session. 

http://www.folkatthebeech.org/uploads/1/3/6/9/13694748/total_tunes_file.pdf

Joy

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »

Added  (:)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »

Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 10:18:08 PM »

Added.

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 12:11:54 AM »

I don't know if you want to include tunebooks from outside England, but there's a big collection of traditional Australian tunes from the 'Settlers Sessions' at the Australian National Folk Festival online at  http://www.vfmc.org.au/FiresideFiddlers/IndexSettlers.html  and more at http://www.bushtraditions.org/music/tunes.htm

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 12:40:02 AM »

I don't go for large books as a "session" reference.  You aren't going to hole up for two years learning the entire contents of Paul Hardy's book before emerging to play in a session in a random place you know nothing about.  For helping somebody get started in a particular session it's better to keep these collections small, memorizable, local and focused on what people actually play.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

george garside

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »

I don't go for large books as a "session" reference.  You aren't going to hole up for two years learning the entire contents of Paul Hardy's book before emerging to play in a session in a random place you know nothing about.  For helping somebody get started in a particular session it's better to keep these collections small, memorizable, local and focused on what people actually play.

seconded!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »

How long is a piece of string? I don't think there are that many more tunes in Paul Hardy's big tunebook than in the Lewes book (can't really tell, no index) but anyway there are several books on that page, and the Basic Tunebook is quite manageable. This is not meant to be a list of tunes to learn, more to give a flavour of what may be encountered in the wild. A glance through them will quickly throw up the more popular tunes.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 08:14:40 PM »

Smiley, those links are really good, but were to massive tunebooks rather than session books, so I've added a link to their site from the Australian section of the page.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 08:36:28 PM »

Here's the two books we use for the Chorley Slow and Easy sessions:

http://chorleytradmusicsessions.org.uk/Download/ChorleySessionsVolume1.pdf

http://chorleytradmusicsessions.org.uk/Download/ChorleySessionsVolume2.pdf

or, you might like to just put the link to page where the books can be downloaded (there is a third in preparation)

http://chorleytradmusicsessions.org.uk/wp/tunebooks/

PPS - I've added the folkopedia to the links on that site.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:46:58 PM by brianread »
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 01:03:23 AM »

Added.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal