News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: books  (Read 7326 times)

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
books
« on: May 05, 2009, 08:20:37 AM »

hey all, does anyone know of any books that have melodeons as a subject that arent tutor or song books?

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
Re: books
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:40 AM »

Something like 'Accordion crimes'?

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 08:27:34 AM »

what id realy like to find is a book with old storys about different players and pub sessions and stuff

jb

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 09:55:45 AM »

don't know if this fits the bill. It is listed online at Amazon and Blackwell, available to order at a slightly lower price. According to Amazon it was published in 2003.
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

Bananayogi

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »

http://www.veteran.co.uk/index.html

Veteran sell some interesting books. I've got 'Many A Good Horseman' - which is very interesting. There are a couple more that might be what you are looking for (click on Books and DVDs in the left hand menu). Many A Good Horseman has an accompanying double cassette (!!!) which is apparently still available and which I'd also recommend if you are into that sort of thing...

Hope this helps.
Larry Miller Bon Cajun in C, A/D/G Handry, far too many Hohners and a Streb.

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 12:03:51 PM »

The East Anglian Traditional Music Trust also have a number of personal portraits of East Anglian musicians available on their website (http://www.eatmt.org.uk/profiles.htm).

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:17:51 PM »

I remember last year, reading a book which had as its subject a green italian melodeon and the adventures of its various owners, in Italy and the US, over about a century. I think it was called "The Green Accordion". Sorry I can't be more precise.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 09:38:14 PM »

I remember last year, reading a book which had as its subject a green italian melodeon and the adventures of its various owners, in Italy and the US, over about a century. I think it was called "The Green Accordion". Sorry I can't be more precise.

That's "Accordion Crimes" by E. Annie Proulx, mentioned by Simon above. I didn't like it the first time I read it a long time ago. Thought I should try again after taking up the box and only managed a few chapters. I seem to remember there is an exceedingly dull chapter that she must have based on her research with Messervier or Ouellet, one of the two. I had the feeling she was merely copying out the pages of her notebook. YMMV of course.

Andrel

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 01:39:51 AM »

Not a book, and not about our kind of box, but a fun movie about a German PA player who falls under the spell of Zydeco music after hearing it on the radio one night, and decides to go to Louisiana to check it out for himself.  Highly recommended. It's Schultze Gets The Blues. Just in case you folks are bored...
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 09:07:45 AM »

"A MAID AND HER MUSIC"  by Ruth Askew, as mentioned by jb, I found a good read. It is not a technical book but is her story of playing and then collecting old melodeons. It also coveres her playing in local pubs and Kings Korner Carnival Band in Pewsey. I seem to remember that she has Oscar Woods melodeon in her collection but that could just be my memory playing tricks, I will get the book out and look when I get home.

On a more general note: Forest Tracks here has some great material relating to their native Hampshire with some melodeon related recordings as well. One of my favorite CDs is  Dave Williams "You're On Nipper!".

Another comunity melodeon player, like Ruth, is Stan Seaman here.
aka malodeon

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 09:44:01 AM »

Ruth does have one of Oscar's melodeons. It's the Hohner 1 row 4 stop in D with Oscar's patent device to stop the spoons clacking - an old Woodbine cigarette packet stuck on the bass box.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Matthew B

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 01:35:05 PM »

Schultze Gets The Blues

Great movie.  One of my favorites.  Right up there with "Leningrad Cowboys Go America".   
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 01:57:44 PM »

Ruth also has the melodeon used in one of those period dramas that my parents insist on watching. I've never read her book, but I should do.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

nousuvesi

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:02:07 AM »

http://www.musicforaccordion.com/Boutique/inform/robaccord/bookpack.htm

I have not read this book. Someone should buy a copy and let me know if it is worth the investment.
Nathan S.

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »

is there such a book as "music theory for idiots"??? also im half way through the jimmy shand story, very interesting but the scottish dialect is hard work at times!!!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »

is there such a book as "music theory for idiots"??? also im half way through the jimmy shand story, very interesting but the scottish dialect is hard work at times!!!

I am a fan of First Steps in Music Theory

TomB-R

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 06:27:53 PM »

Although it only has one chapter focussing on push-pull boxes (and Joe Cooley in particular) Ciaran Carson's "Last Night's Fun" is one of the most enjoyable (Irish) traditional music books around.

It's like sitting in the pub chatting with a bunch of knowledgeable people, stories, anecdotes, musings. No structure other than each chapter starting from a tune name.

LIAM-ROBINSON

• Good talker
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 06:39:55 PM »

I've just finished reading the Jimmy Shand story....really enjoyable read! :-)  I also managed to work my way through the dialect! ;-)

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:03 AM »

There is a review of it here and you can get it here, me I will try and get my local library to order it and hope that a few more people round here will want to read it.
aka malodeon

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal