Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hohner HA114 vs old one  (Read 1627 times)

mselic

New Hohner HA114 vs old one
« on: April 26, 2015, 04:39:09 AM »

I am the owner of an older (possibly 1960s) Hohner HA113 in C, and a brand new HA114 in D.  Both play quite nice, but obviously the older one is "broken-in" and plays easier than the new one.  The new one is still stiff and not as responsive as the old one.  The older model seems to have very fast action and the notes respond quickly..it feels like very little effort is needed to get the reeds to sing!  On the new model, it feels like the reeds don't respond as quickly; more effort is needed.  If I play the newer one for quite a while, I don't notice it until I play the old one, and then what a difference! 

My question is this...Is getting the newer instrument to a level of playability like my old one simply a matter of time and "breaking" it in, or would something else need to be done?  I have stretched the bellows out as demonstrated on this forum, and it seems to have helped.  I notice that the treble buttons on the newer instrument seem to stick up higher than on the old one, which can sometimes be a little awkward when playing with a lot of fast changes and "sliding" a finger from one button to the next.  The biggest thing I notice is that the reeds don't seem to respond as quickly on my new box as they do on my old one.  Is this a case of breaking in reeds? Is that even a thing?

Bottom line is I am quite happy with my new D box, but I would love it if I could eventually get it to be as responsive and quick as my old HA113.  Any information, opinions, suggestions, etc are welcome!  Thanks
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
Re: New Hohner HA114 vs old one
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:45:30 AM »

I have a German 114C, which I got as "New Old Stock", still in original cardboard box with corrugated wrapping, plastic on bass strap etc. I have had it for some years, and it gets played fairly often, but is still pretty hard work compared to others that I've played.

The reeds respond well, but the bellows are still as stiff as can be, and that's why it takes some effort. If you've eased yours (and of course, they'll get more as you use it), and it's still a bit slow, then personally I'd put it down to the reeds. I've no idea what they put into new Hohners, but there are few if any instruments which respond well before the reeds are "played in".

If I were in your position, I'd keep on playing it as much as possible, and, from time to time, giving it a bit more "stick" i.e. pressure and loudness.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »

Could it be the Chinese made bellows? I have a Scarlatti DG and the bellows are somewhat stiff, whereas my old German made 114D has very smooth light bellows.
BTW, PM me if you are interested in an old set of bellows from a Hohner Cajun box - nicely worn in and made in Germany.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 02:59:40 PM by RogerThomas »

voyager

• (DOG) Doddering Old G*t
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:17:10 PM »

Hi 
I've just recently taken a 1 row in C and can see where this enquiry has arisen

Mine  is as  slower that of my motabillity scooter

The reeds sound okay it's the bellows' even after Lester's suggestions to loosen them.

My response's  the box's  are NOT tested as suggested checked to their GOLD Standard before delivery,
aka The Music Room, I actually drove and collected from them, with the remark, just a couple of notes not
quite right, but we've fixed them.

Emmmm

I'm NOT OLD just suffer receding youth

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »

Mselic, you could try exchanging bellows between the two boxes.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

mselic

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 03:36:06 AM »

The issue does not seem to be with the bellows...it feels more like the reeds are simply slow to respond.  It will still play nicely, but not nearly as well as my old 1 row.  On my old hohner, the notes play most easily...the slightest push on the bellows will get a note to sing...on my new HA114, it almost feels like there is a pause before the note will sound.  In the end it just ends up feeling stiff and hard to play.  I do like the sound of it, though.

There is an experienced and well-known melodeon tuner and repairman within a few hours of where I live...I will be calling him to enquire, but I am wondering if there might be anything he can do to possible fine-tune this instrument and get the reeds to respond a little better.  I have heard or read somewhere (possibly on this forum, can't find any reference to it now) that the reeds can be adjusted to respond better, albeit at the cost of possibly losing some of their volume.  Is there any truth to this?  Anyone have input?  Thanks.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:21:33 AM »

I have heard or read somewhere (possibly on this forum, can't find any reference to it now) that the reeds can be adjusted to respond better, albeit at the cost of possibly losing some of their volume.  Is there any truth to this?  Anyone have input?  Thanks.

Yes reeds can be adjusted to improve response, and your description of a delay before the note sounds is the the usual symptom of badly adjusted reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal