Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tape Please  (Read 2123 times)

up-fiddler

• Good talker
    • Fine Linen Literary Journal
Tape Please
« on: May 01, 2015, 04:21:03 PM »

Hey friends.

I have an issue. I can't seem to play any of my diatonics without moving my mouth. Never does it plague me more that when learning a new tune. It is as if both corners of my mouth are connected to my fingers and neither my mouth nor my fingers are connected to my brain.  :o My wife goes into hysterical fits laughing so loud that I can't hear the accordion. Even the cat gives me sidelong glances. I would try that magic elixir - duct tape - but ripping it off a heavy beard when I am done practicing seems extreme. Any advice given in whimsy or serious tones will be useful.  ;D

Thanks in advance,

Dave
d/g Tommy, c/f Hug & Co., c/f Corso, g/c/f Corona II, Weltmeister a/d/g, Lachenal 24 button anglo, Morse 30 button anglo, Star Chemnitzer, Lange Chemnitzer, too many fiddles and mandolins to list

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Tape Please
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

Chewing gum.
My affectation, is holding my breath in, when the bellows are fully extended.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

arty

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »

Hahahaha! My mouth does exactly the same thing. I have thought of wearing a scarf around it, like in the old cowboy films!
I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a cure.... ;D
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 02:21:37 AM »

Botox  (:)

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 06:31:38 AM »

More seriously (if you will forgive my little joke)  - this is a patterned movement like any other. So it can be learned, and more importantly - unlearned.

Patterned movements are "learned" in cerebellum, the "little" brain under our main one and it seems to be analogous to blowing the fuses in the old uncommitted logic arrays in 1990s computers, they get sort of hard wired. So instead of having to think - raise arm, grip knob, turn it left, pull, open door, go through door - it becomes a unit activity. Not to mention actually walking, which robots still can barely manage.

Music meanwhile is - even less well understood. Listening to it, or playing in test fMRI kit - virtually the whole cerebral cortex lights up (active brain cells) incuding speech areas. Beyond this, I'm speculating, but melodeon seems to be a special instrument with this mouth link. Very common. Is it a confusion because both expression, and "breathing" are involved? Do piano accordionists get the same symptom?

As for the "cure" - well I played in front of a mirror as a feedback loop. Now that I am more fluent as a player I try to be "mindful" of my face, try to smile. Progress has been made, but singing with box in particular has been a 20 year project, mainly because of whatever neural crossover in happening in there. Hope this helps, it's helped me.  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 07:17:17 AM »

Chris is right of course, but I think it's just another manifestation of  "Melodeon Face"
Perhaps if any of us are brave enough we should have a gallery.....accompanied by a Limerick.?  >:E
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 07:41:09 AM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 07:42:48 AM »

googling a bit (this is an evolving field)

http://www.asrt.org/main/news-research/radiologic-technology-news/2014/03/18/fMRI_Shows_How_Brain_Processes_Music

Big overlap with language areas apparently, though I see flaws in the experiment ::)

1. These were jazzers, 'trading fours' in which you are expected to listen to the other guy's
    4 bars and respond to them when it's your turn. So perhaps more analagous to conversation
    than to playing one's box up in some lonely attic?

2. Wherever did they find '11 healthy male jazz musicians'?  >:E
  _       _    _      _ 

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »

Don't fret on it!! My breathing used to be synchronised with bellows direction, now I'm just happy to be breathing!
This synchronised breathing goes away after a couple of years, at least I'm not aware of it now.

Perhaps the medical research folk should investigate how Brandon McPhee's brain works - singing and playing chords
at the same  time on a 3 row Shand Marino box.

Nigel

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:57:23 AM by strad »

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 10:00:57 AM »

I came to melodeon via mouth organ and had same breathing problems.
Don't worry it all goes away eventually  (:)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 10:23:42 AM »

I am not convinced that it does necessarily go away eventually. A friend of mine played like that for twenty years or more until infirmity ended his playing career in his early 80s. If anything, his 'gurning' grew worse as the years passed.

I agree with Chris, though, that it is something that can be corrected by determined effort.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

george garside

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 12:14:35 PM »

with occasional relapses in my case!  The relapses usually occur when playing at home but can easily re form the 'tamed' habit.  Sucking a polo mint  , uncle jo's mint ball or similar  can distract or de-synchronise the breathing and the bellows action!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »

When I first started playing, my nostrils used to flare in and out with the bellows movement. Audiences were highly amused.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

george garside

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 12:55:09 PM »

I suppose its fortunate that those with a propensity for so doing can only brake wind on the push!

george

arty

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 01:12:54 PM »

I think you mean "break wind" George. Of course, if you "brake wind", nothing will happen! Ha ha ha, sorry.... >:E
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

george garside

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 01:19:16 PM »

;D

up-fiddler

• Good talker
    • Fine Linen Literary Journal
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 03:59:59 PM »

Great responses from both the seriousn add light-hearted sides. Just what I had hoped for. Thanks all.  ;) Dave
d/g Tommy, c/f Hug & Co., c/f Corso, g/c/f Corona II, Weltmeister a/d/g, Lachenal 24 button anglo, Morse 30 button anglo, Star Chemnitzer, Lange Chemnitzer, too many fiddles and mandolins to list
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal