Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: problem with pallet arms  (Read 811 times)

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Tritone G/C/B, One Row in D
    • Berking Mad Ceilidh Band
problem with pallet arms
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »

I have a 21 button DDR two row. I've had it for 20 years or so. There's always been a problem with the pallets. These are raised with thin wire arms. They don't always land in the same place. Sometimes they leave a slight gap over the hole and occasionally one pallet will fall on top of another. In most instances a quick flick of the button removes the problem. I've noticed that the problem is more likely to occur when I am playing across the rows and certain chord combinations almost always cause problems. The pallets are small plastic pads with a push fit onto the arm. The wire arms are set into the wooden fingerboard where they pivot. Ive tried making slight adjustments to the pallets, sliding them up and down the wire arms - to no avail. There is some play at the pivot end, but nothing excessive. It is my opinion that the problem is the with the arms themselves, which are too flexible. A sharp tap on the button causes the arm to fly up, then vibrate from side to side before falling back into place, or not, as the case may be. Is  there anything I can do to improve the action and prevent the pallets falling in the wrong place?
feel free to be yourself

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
Re: problem with pallet arms
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:14:48 PM »

I have run into this on occasion, It can be a couple of things. The wood slot the heel of the arm rides in can be worn, or the hole at the pivot can be worn. On occasion the wire where the am goes into the wood can be loose.
You can shim the wood arms by gluing a piece of paper to one side of the heel letting it dry and sanding it lightly to fit in it's old slot. Rebore the keyboard pivot to the next wire size up (use a piece of the new rod that you have roughened the end of as a boring bar) You should bore the new hole in the arms with a drill press so they are at a a right angle.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Oakland, California
Fixing broken stuff since 1997

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Tritone G/C/B, One Row in D
    • Berking Mad Ceilidh Band
Re: problem with pallet arms
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »

Kimric,

thanks for the reply. Since making my first post I've spent some time experimenting with the mechanism. I cut some strips of thin plastic from a food carton and slid them into the mechanism between the arm and the hole. This temporary fix worked quite well.  I'm slightly nervous of dismantling the mechanism. I know from reading previous posts that this is not an easy task. Before doing this I might try gluing the plastic strips to the pallet arms.
feel free to be yourself
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.