Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing buttons hohner  (Read 2495 times)

Doug Barr

Replacing buttons hohner
« on: June 02, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »

Whats the trick to forcing on a new button?  I heated the lever with a soldering iron but not much luck.  Can you help?  thanks Doug

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Replacing buttons hohner
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:43:20 AM »

Place the button upside down on the bench, offer up the lever and tap into place with a hammer.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Doug Barr

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »

The levers are still in the box on the treble side so this might be difficult without taking it apart.  I might be ably to hold the box upside down next to the table and do this.  The bass side I can take the levers off but they are so long I am sure they will bend if hit with a hammer.  Any other ideas?  Thanks Doug

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:20:54 PM »

You can make it easier by taking the whole mechanism out. Release all the springs, undo the screws, 10 minute job.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »

Must admit my main problem is that mine come unscrewed.  Mind you, as I have "mushroom" buttons on my Morgane, I notice that one or two are a bit proud and screw them back down again. 
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 07:59:50 PM »

On older pokerworks I use a 30 watt soldering iron. Having a small blob of solder on the tip really helps speed up heat transfer. Touch the rod with the iron (NOT the button) just below the offending button ,after about 15 seconds , the button should come off ,assuming you were tugging on it. Be patient.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Doug Barr

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »

Yes Kimric, thats how I got them off.  It's putting new buttons back on that is harder.  Do you have a tip?   Thanks   Doug

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:39:25 PM »

If you have the facilities/want to go to the trouble, you can make a tool for this job.
Take apart a pair of slip joint pliers, cut a slot into the loose jaw to accomodate the lever and pad the fixed one to save damaging the button. Reassembled you simply use the pliers to squeeze the buttons on
Otherwise do it the way Theo explained earlier. (:)
(A removal tool can be made by cutting a slot through an old screwdriver blade. Using small vice grips to hold the lever just below the button the blade will prise the button off without damage or the need for heat.)

Doug Barr

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

that sound like a great idea, I will make that tool.  Do you have any ideas for the bass side where the lever is long and goes straight up to the button without a turn?   Doug

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »

Most practical method is to remove the rods from the levers by extracting the pivot nails and do the job in a vice.
You should be able to straighten and re-use the nails but apparently you can obtain suitable replacements from B&Q.
Might be advisable to do them one at a time or mark them, because they differ in shape.

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 07:47:11 AM »

Yes Kimric, thats how I got them off.  It's putting new buttons back on that is harder.  Do you have a tip?   Thanks   Doug
It's sort of the same thing in reverse.
I set the button on the rod and push down till the button is all the way down on the hole. make sure the arm is setting on the end of the button, heat rod and as it warms the spring pressure will press the rod in. you can use a wet cotton swab to cool the rod when it is in the right place.

Kimric
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal