Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vallenato  (Read 2179 times)

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
Vallenato
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:26:09 AM »

Vallenato is from Colombia, the city of Valledupar to be precise.  Vallenato translates to English, "Native of the Valley"  or born in the valley. 

Here is a youtube video I found that shows an example of how the melodeon is used for this type of music.   This is just the accordion player playing solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TovjytEG2w4

Just wanted to share a bit, since this weekend was the 48th Festival Vallenato competition. 

Here is what Vallenato sounds like in it's simplest form.  Only using 3 instruments plus the singer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBuUU1aO8E

The accordion player in this second video is Juancho Rois (RIP), regarded as the best acordeonero that Colombia has ever produced. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:36:02 AM by Vallenato831 »
Corona III x8

jerfish

• Jeremy
  • Regular debater
  • Musical Adventurer
    • Jerfish
Re: Vallenato
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 04:45:36 AM »

Thanks for sharing. My Colombian Father in Law always tells me about Rafael José Orozco Maestre

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Orozco_Maestre

He also tells me stories that the first accordions were brought to Colombia by a shipwreck that might've had a shipment bound for Argentina, but instead washed up on the shores of Colombia. The locals, having no idea how to play them, figured them out quickly. Later they added the drum and guacharaca, and Vallenatos was born.  We laugh as we are not sure how they figured out how to get the salt water out of the instrument and the corrosion off the reeds, but suspend disbelief for the sake of a good legend!

With that and Cinco de Mayo approaching I find myself looking at three row instruments suddenly, when I have not been playing the instruments I have! 
Weltmeister GC MMM, Hohner "Morgane" GC, Paolo Soprani 19 button 3 Voice AD, Castagnari "Lilly" DG, ~1930's Hohner "1926 Philadelphia Grand Prix" Eb/B, ~1930's Hohner one row "A", 1950's Hohner Club II CF (Declubbed), 1950's Hohner Erica GC

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 02:37:31 PM »

Vallenato is from Colombia, the city of Valledupar to be precise.  Vallenato translates to English, "Native of the Valley"  or born in the valley. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TovjytEG2w4

Here is what Vallenato sounds like in it's simplest form.  Only using 3 instruments plus the singer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBuUU1aO8E

About the first link: Nice! Specially his way with the bass buttons ahnn?? I like the velocity and stuff, always observing it, but any kind of velocity in the treble buttons. But as we see here in this video, such velocity with the bass buttons is really rare.

About the second video: Uoooww! Amazing! If you can understand the lyrics he sings in spanish as you go listening it, time after time you laugh more!  ;D A very romantic lyrics with the guy complaining with a girl that doesn't want him!  :D Really lovely. Specially the always deeply romantic approach typical from the latin rhythms and song writers!  (:)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 02:40:06 PM by brazilian.BOX »
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »

Lovely stuff Bra Box,
 Such feeling and enthusiasm, great :D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »

Thanks Bird!  :D
Cheers  ;)

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »

Thanks for sharing. My Colombian Father in Law always tells me about Rafael José Orozco Maestre

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rafael_Orozco_Maestre

He also tells me stories that the first accordions were brought to Colombia by a shipwreck that might've had a shipment bound for Argentina, but instead washed up on the shores of Colombia. The locals, having no idea how to play them, figured them out quickly. Later they added the drum and guacharaca, and Vallenatos was born.  We laugh as we are not sure how they figured out how to get the salt water out of the instrument and the corrosion off the reeds, but suspend disbelief for the sake of a good legend!

With that and Cinco de Mayo approaching I find myself looking at three row instruments suddenly, when I have not been playing the instruments I have!

Rafael was a great singer!  A shame he was taken away so soon.  Good story!  I also hear of a different story.  Of a few German families moving to Colombia, and having boxes shipped to them. 

Here we see that in a book titled Río-Hacha et les indiens Goajires by the explorer Henri Candelier, he speaks of the accordion in Colombia in 1881. 

https://museoacordeonvalledupar.wordpress.com/historiadelacordeonencolombia/

Their are many different versions on how the accordion arrived in Colombia, I dont know which is correct. Perhaps all are true as well.   I'm just glad the boxes made it there!   :||:
Corona III x8

Vallenato831

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:20:46 PM »

About the first link: Nice! Specially his way with the bass buttons ahnn?? I like the velocity and stuff, always observing it, but any kind of velocity in the treble buttons. But as we see here in this video, such velocity with the bass buttons is really rare.

About the second video: Uoooww! Amazing! If you can understand the lyrics he sings in spanish as you go listening it, time after time you laugh more!  ;D A very romantic lyrics with the guy complaining with a girl that doesn't want him!  :D Really lovely. Specially the always deeply romantic approach typical from the latin rhythms and song writers!  (:)

The guy in the first video is playing a mixture of songs that the group in the second video made famous.  I wish I could play like that!!

As for the lyrics in the first song of the 2nd video.  The song is called, My Best Days.  Where he is singing to a lady, that he gave her his best days and now that he's old she wants to leave him.  He says that although he's old, no other fella of his age is as cool as him.  hahaha
Corona III x8

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »

I wish I could play like that!!

As for the lyrics in the first song of the 2nd video.  The song is called, My Best Days.  Where he is singing to a lady, that he gave her his best days and now that he's old she wants to leave him.  He says that although he's old, no other fella of his age is as cool as him.  hahaha

Yeah!  :D  He is amazing about the velocity. For the treble buttons very very fast and specially coordinating with the bass buttons also very fast.
Really skillful. Very enjoyable to watch and listen! Thanks.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 07:03:18 AM »

I'm actually here because I grew love for the accordion watching Juancho Rois making it look easy ;)
just picked one up we'll see how it goes.
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal