Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bass hand issues  (Read 1375 times)

DinoTrackerAli

• Hohner Merlin G/C
  • New Starter
    • My YouTube Channel
Bass hand issues
« on: May 03, 2015, 05:33:14 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.  I've been learning to play for two months now using Méthode d'accordéon diatonique/Diatonic accordion method (Norbert Pignol, Stéphane Milleret).  I have a Hohner Merlin in G/C.

I really enjoy practicing and playing but I'm struggling with my bass hand, especially as I want to start attempting songs that use 6 or more bass keys.  If you take a look at my video below, you'll see that I'm using my pointer and middle fingers to play the chords.  I can't make it all the way through the song without my pinky/ring fingers and knuckles getting cramped, and then I make mistakes.

https://youtu.be/wzOL15T25HI

I have a bit of folded fleece to put between my hand and the strap to tighten the fit.  It helps, but those two fingers still start to hurt, plus my pinky can barely reach the F/F key.

Do you think a sticky pad as in this post would help? Left hand not staying in place.

Any advice would be appreciated.  — Thank you!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Bass hand issues
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 05:42:46 PM »

My suggestions would be:

Try using three or ideally all four fingers.  It will be more difficult at first but helpful in the long run.   You will find it easier for the shorter fingers to reach the buttons if you put your left hand further through the strap and let the natural curve of the fingers bring the fingertips down onto the buttons.  This will also help to reach the inside row of buttons and will allow your fingers to make an arch over the outside row buttons.   This will be easier if you can allow the top of the instrument to lean sightly away from your body, and that in turn will be easier if you start by sitting down to play so the lower edge of the instrument can rest on your lap.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »

If your hand is sliding on the back of the melodeon, then the sticky pad might help you keep it in the correct position. But, as Theo says above, first you need to establish a suitable position.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

DinoTrackerAli

• Hohner Merlin G/C
  • New Starter
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:28 PM »

Thanks you two, I'll try out some different positions.  I like to stand when I play, but I'll try sitting and look for the natural curve in my fingers too.   :|||:

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 09:47:05 PM »

there may be 2 issues. I thought that little tune went very well indeed, but it was as if your fingers were tied to the C/G buttons. By the standard you seem to have reached - you should be putting in a few F chords. That melody probably doesn't need a push G, or Am.

Theo is right, I'd be playing those chords with my middle and ring (anulaire) fingers. Best to start this early in training,  you will need it as you start to play tunes mixing in G row (eg some are in both keys) and A minor, the latter either as a key in it's own right, or a variation, perhaps an artistic substitute for C. 

So try to play that way, it will come quickly enough. If your little finger "never happens "it is not the end of the worlds, a lot of people play like that, but 4 is of course better than 3?

The other issue is that, unless your thumb is very long, it may not be on the air valve (soupape de vent). You should find a comfortable position with thumb always on the valve, ready to use it and balance the air in those bellows. It is "like breathing" on a diatonic instrument.  You will use it later for other effects, mentioned in Methode

And that is another reason to use middle/ring fingers on the C/G, and eventually F/F buttons (:)
  _       _    _      _ 

DinoTrackerAli

• Hohner Merlin G/C
  • New Starter
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:49:38 AM »

Hi Chris, I'm trying to understand:
it was as if your fingers were tied to the C/G buttons. By the standard you seem to have reached - you should be putting in a few F chords. That melody probably doesn't need a push G, or Am.

Are you saying that on a push, I should try pressing the F chord buttons instead?  Also, I'm not sure where I'm playing Am. I've attached the keyboard layout for the Merlin to this post, just in case.  I'd be grateful if you could clarify...I'm very much a beginner.  (:)

However, I have been playing with my middle and ring fingers since it was suggested, and it is working well.   I think what has helped is changing how I hold the accordion as Theo suggested and keeping my thumb on the air valve as you suggested.  This seems to make my hand arch, and as a result it fills the space between the accordion and the strap better, and there is less strain.  I'm just now learning to use the air valve while playing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal