Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Source Recordings  (Read 1330 times)

OwenG

• Respected Sage
Source Recordings
« on: May 07, 2009, 01:48:45 PM »

In a bid to broaden my listening, and hopefully improve my playing, I was wondering what members of the forum feel are the key source recordings of 'traditional' box players for the many different box playing traditions that any aspiring player should listen to.

Being a proud East Anglian I'll nominate The Pigeon on the Gate (available here: http://www.veteran.co.uk/), and in particular the playing of George Craske, Percy Brown, and of course, Oscar Woods.

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
Re: Source Recordings
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:19:05 PM »

being a devon lad and romany i would have to say...
bob cann "proper job"
and
the orchard family "holsworthy fair"

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Re: Source Recordings
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »

While on a cycling holiday in the Western Isles earlier this month, I picked up 'An Island Heritage', a CD re-release of recordings from the late '70s of Iain McLachlan - "the greatest three-row button box player in the Highlands and Islands'. He is perhaps best known as composer of 'The Dark Island'. He played a Shand Morino.

A great listen and a good example of a different style of playing - it includes both 'accordion' and some tunes in "the old melodeon style".

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal