Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner HA114 Reed Blocks  (Read 1340 times)

deltasalmon

Hohner HA114 Reed Blocks
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:42:58 PM »

I have a 1 row 4-stop in C that has no brand name on it. I was wondering if a set of Hohner HA114 reed blocks would fit in it. I measured out the dimensions of the reed blocks that I have and was wondering if anyone with a Hohner HA114 could confirm whether they would fit or not.

The sound holes measure 5/16" by 3/8" with about 7/16" spaces in between the holes. The whole reed block measuring about 8 9/16" by 1 7/16"

I attached a drawing to help explain the dimensions
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
Re: Hohner HA114 Reed Blocks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »

What is the most important (in my opinion) it the measurement of the outer edge of the first and last hole on the reed block.
If the space between the holes is slightly different it will add up and the holes on the ends will not line up.
This can be fixed by adding a bit of wood on the offending holes on the new block , and cutting a bit away on the other side. You are basically moving the holes.
You will also have to carve away or add wood to the ends of the blocks to match the mounting points.
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

gettabettabox

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »

...and ensure compatibility for the slide mechanism.   ???

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 01:59:13 PM »

Thanks Kimric, that sounds like a better way to accurately measure it. I'll do that next time I open up the box. I've realized that the HA-114 has the blocks glued in which makes sense why no one was responding. I see Charlie Marshall sells replacement blocks so maybe I'll email him to see if he could measure that distance for me.

Slide mechanism? Like for the stops? I think it would probably work the same since the box I have has stops but an interesting difference between mine and most others I've seen is that the reeds are engaged when the stops are down (which always seemed to make more sense to me).
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

invadm

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 03:04:41 PM »

I have one of this 4 stops with no name on it..I think it's copy of a Weltmeister Cajun model from China  8) ..I wanted to improve the sound and started changing/adding things and ended up making a new reed block for MM reeds..I used an old club II box for parts and 2nd row wooden block fitted spot on..than I made a new sliders for the new block,added gasket on the sound board, improved a lot & stopped air leakage under the blocks as there was no gasket originally.....fitted with MM Hohner reeds sounded much better..after all this I wanted to adjust and re-face the pallet and finis it of but during adjustment on the lever arm ended up breaking the whole finger board--bugger ---  >:(  I'm still looking for a replacement finger board without any successes :-\             
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal