Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: One-row in two keys  (Read 3543 times)

jonm

• Regular debater
One-row in two keys
« on: May 08, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »

Is there any reason why you cannot tune a four-stop one-row with two banks in G and two in D, thus giving two two-voice one-rows in one box?
Castagnari Mory and Giordy D/G, Hohner Erica, four-stop in G, two-stop in G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: One-row in two keys
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:36:53 AM »

As long as you only want basses for one key it would be fine

george garside

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:45:31 AM »

why not go the whole hog and have a single voice in 4 keys  eg CGDA or FCGD or whatever turns you on - Its been done,  Perhaps the bass could just provide  4 major chords of say CGDA to add a bit of ornementation here & there.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

The reed block and individual reed chamber sizes might be a problem. On a one-row box tuned HMML the reed chamber sizes will be larger for the L voice reeds and smaller for the H voice reeds. You might have to fit new blocks which have chambers the right size for the reeds you need for (presumably) MM in G and MM in D. On the other hand you might be thinking of ML in G and ML in D. In either case, you would have to do some careful research on the dimensions of the reed plates you intend using and check that the reed chambers are compatible.

Why not just play a normal, 2- or 3-voice, two-row D/G box?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:07:53 PM »

Is there any reason why you cannot tune a four-stop one-row with two banks in G and two in D, thus giving two two-voice one-rows in one box?

You could ask a Cajun builder to build this for you -- see the post above about reedblock sizes.
However, I think you'd be better off in the long run with a two-row box!  Better possibilities for the bass.
-Andy

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:50:30 PM »

I remember reading about a 'Bouchard Accordion' on this forum.
My understanding was that you could play in several keys, though it only had D & A on the basses

jack
Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump

boxlad

• Respected Sage
    • Ray Ó Díomasaigh
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 12:15:27 AM »

Randy Falcon makes melodeons in two keys. The dual key models (he calls them '2-tone') have 3-voices for each key, i.e. there are 6 sets of reeds in total, which means it can be set up as two separate keys or as a single key very powerful 6-voice. I know he does offer a 5-voice LMMMH, though it's not very common because most Cajun players use dry tuning. waiting time is short too if I remember correctly..

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »

I remember reading about a 'Bouchard Accordion' on this forum.
My understanding was that you could play in several keys, though it only had D & A on the basses

melodeon

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 04:14:34 PM »

Opinion alert

Dual voiced 1 row melodeons are.. let's just say  silly

Get a coouple decent single key boxes

Falcon "invented" the dual pitch ( right, don't tell the Italians) ) and patented same.. the patent has run out and now can be built by anyone..
the patent can be downloaded on line.. hand it to your builder...
Gabbanelli was also importing some 2 tone boxes ( before Falcon) though different in design
The whiole group fo these leave me baffled as to why soemone would want one... heavy clumsy quiet.....  gimmicky

I concur with Andy... go for the Bouchard
or  get a 2 row

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »

Why not just play a normal, 2- or 3-voice, two-row D/G box?

I assumed (there's trouble) that jonm was leading towards both the G & D to be in the similar octaves (2 voice - MM),
not as a D-G being M - H

yes I agree, such a box would have very limited bass, similar to those of a Bouchard
maybe the addition of a 'stop' on the bass end to swap reeds, when changing stops of the treble would be an idea though

be a dull world if we all had the same view-point,
My old 4 stop (A, G, C, D) have the character that other boxes DON'T
as someone else has said:-  "4 stops kick a**e" (or something like that)...

jack
Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump

triskel

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 01:31:37 PM »

Falcon "invented" the dual pitch ( right, don't tell the Italians) ) and patented same..

... and don't tell Anthony Faas of Philadelphia, who patented a box that switched between C/F and C/B way back on June 13, 1854. It was the first US accordion patent (No. 11,062), and I have an actual example of his accordion in my collection, as well as the patent specification.

I also have an early French accordion ("flutina" if you insist) in a specially made case to accomodate its two spare reed pans, in different keys. Ain't nothin' new...

Get a couple decent single key boxes

Couldn't agree more - less hassle and more effective!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal