Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: melodeon fingering generator  (Read 2898 times)

Matiss Schubert

melodeon fingering generator
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »

Hello there, I have recently been chipping away at my website and have added a little abc to melodeon fingering generator for two row diatonic accordions.
It's not perfect but hopefully it may be of some use to somebody! You can paste in your own abc notation or search thesession.org for tunes to convert.
It can also convert abc to tab for stringed instruments, mandolin/fiddle, guitar, DADGAD etc...
Feedback welcome.
the link is http://matissschubert.com/tune-search.html

deltasalmon

Re: melodeon fingering generator
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »

Looks interesting but the first one I tried didn't work. I used ABC from the session like it said. https://thesession.org/tunes/73 I did the first setting and then set it to:

C#/D
Inside
Both
Standard

Then hit convert and then tried to open the PDF and got an error "PDF failed to open"
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »

Then hit convert and then tried to open the PDF and got an error "PDF failed to open"
Same for me ...
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Matiss Schubert

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:35:26 PM »

Hi thanks for the feedback.. If you have an alternative pdf viewer it may work?? I think some in browser viewers may not like the files for some reason. I'll have to look into that. 
If you download it and try opening the file with another program with pdf reading capabilities that might work?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:45:08 PM by Matiss Schubert »

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 02:18:51 PM »

Matiss

The file your generator produces for download looks to be HTML with (possibly) the PDF data embedded in the HTML. I stripped off the HTML before the %PDF-1.4 header and after the %%EOF0 trailer and Adobe Reader would then open the result without complaint but all I saw was a blank sheet.

vof
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

deltasalmon

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »

Matiss

The file your generator produces for download looks to be HTML with (possibly) the PDF data embedded in the HTML. I stripped off the HTML before the %PDF-1.4 header and after the %%EOF0 trailer and Adobe Reader would then open the result without complaint but all I saw was a blank sheet.

vof

Interesting. Vof, I did exactly as you said and it worked. I can see the sheet music and the fingerings that were generated.

Neat program.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

emcintosh

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »

Thanks. I've tried it on a few tunes, and it agrees with what I decided on my own [I play BC so it *could* make a different choice only for the notes E and B].

Do the semitone-box modes with the 'both' option take any account of chords? What basses are you assuming we have?

I've worked out a spreadsheet of what basses, in each direction, most closely approximate any given chord. Is this something that could be incorporated?

Roger Howard

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 03:09:52 PM »

A neat programme, which works well on the example I tried. A small point about nomenclature: your options list C/G, rather than G/C, which I would have expected. The fingering still works, though!  ;) Thanks for alerting us to it.  (:)

Best wishes

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

deltasalmon

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 04:23:09 PM »

After more experimenting I'm finding it actually works pretty well. I still have to remove the HTML code as mentioned above and I've noticed tunes with basic ABC work best. Grace notes {} for example seem to give it a problem.

I'm interested in knowing how it decides which row to use for reversals with the "both" option.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 04:30:25 PM »

Fantastic! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing.

Matiss Schubert

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »

Thanks. I've tried it on a few tunes, and it agrees with what I decided on my own [I play BC so it *could* make a different choice only for the notes E and B].

Do the semitone-box modes with the 'both' option take any account of chords? What basses are you assuming we have?

I've worked out a spreadsheet of what basses, in each direction, most closely approximate any given chord. Is this something that could be incorporated?

Yes thank you I just play regular regular tuned accordions so information on the nuances of B/C and C#/D are most welcome.
If you can give a few examples of when you would use one series of notes over another I can try to incorporate that into the program's logic.
Yes if "both" is chosen then in should try to match the melody to the bellows direction for the current chord symbol.

This is the layout I am assuming for B/C http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/BC21tradbass.gif
But it wouldn’t take too much to implement the modern tuning mentioned in the tuning list as well.
Thanks

Matiss Schubert

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »

After more experimenting I'm finding it actually works pretty well. I still have to remove the HTML code as mentioned above and I've noticed tunes with basic ABC work best. Grace notes {} for example seem to give it a problem.

I'm interested in knowing how it decides which row to use for reversals with the "both" option.

Hi the "Both" function takes hints for bellows direction from chord symbols so this function will only work effectively if the tune has chord symbols.
Yes still a work in progress, I'll have to look into the grace notes.

For now a workaround would be to edit the abc and remove the gracenotes. I have included an edit button under the abc textfield.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:06:31 PM by Matiss Schubert »

Matiss Schubert

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 11:09:28 PM »

A neat programme, which works well on the example I tried. A small point about nomenclature: your options list C/G, rather than G/C, which I would have expected. The fingering still works, though!  ;) Thanks for alerting us to it.  (:)

Best wishes

Roger

Thank you Roger for letting me know, I just corrected that.
cheers

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »

I seem to be unable to open the resultant pdf files.   "Adobe Acrobat DC could not open 'Untitled_DG_in_both.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged"   

I attempted to open it in TextEdit but was also unable to do so.
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Matiss Schubert

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »

thanks for your feedback everyone. I really appreciate it. I got an idea today on what might be causing the file corruption on some systems.... I shall look into it tomorrow!  :||:

Matiss Schubert

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »

The file your generator produces for download looks to be HTML with (possibly) the PDF data embedded in the HTML.
vof

Thanks Vof for picking up on that, I believe I have fixed that issue!

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »

Seems to be working fine now on a Mac using Safari and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  And a very useful program it is.  Well Done.

"Wish List" thoughts for future modifications:

The ability to amend the standard button layouts to account for non-standard or 4th button start boxes with low notes would be really useful.

The ability to add an accidental row (and amend its configuration)

Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

vof

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 05:25:08 PM »

Yes, it works well now with Firefox and Adobe Reader XI. My original blank page was caused I suspect by the abc including w: lyrics.

vof
Vince O'Farrell
Dino BPII; Hohners: Pokerwork D/G (fettled by Theo; 4th button start, Viennese tuning, and thirds stop by Mike Rowbotham); red Erica G/C; couple of 1040s in C and G project boxes.

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »

Very nice piece of work - thank you!
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal