Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Which summer festival to go to?  (Read 6742 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Re: Which summer festival to go to?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2015, 10:19:45 AM »

I have to say I love Sidmouth now. I also didn't go for many years but returned a few years ago. This was partly because I was introducing my new(ish) husband to folk and morris and with Sidmouth he had the option of seaside, walks and a bit of nearby National Trust he could sod off and look at if the 'finger in the ear brigade' got too much for him.  :o

As it happened we both loved it and return to the same cottage every year, now with my friend in tow too.  My husband (now a complete folkie) tends to spend the week watching stuff, gigs and morris,  and I spend the week doing stuff - workshops and sessions.  There is enough going on that you can pick and choose what sort of festival you want it to be.

Last year I did five festivals in a row across August and September, some as punter and some with the morris. At the end of it I was exhausted, had a severe case of festival scurvy and a massive washing pile. This year I'll be limiting it to Sidders, Towersey and Swanage all three are fabulous festivals for very different reasons.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2015, 04:29:22 PM »

What DID the council do to wreck this festival (Sidmouth)  my time before the last visit was in 1976.
I'm pretty sure it was under the control of EFDSS and had a chap called John Dowell seemingly in charge aided and abetted by the wonderful likes of
Martin Bloomer of "Isca Fayre". The whole of Europe was there even countries like Canada  with amazing Cajun music from the mountains. The Late night extra being a very special event. For instance teaching the local Police Force to dance Shepherds Hey. Which they performed immaculately.
   I know I mustn't dwell on the past, but you youngsters don't know what you missed.
         And being the seventies.......well it was the decade of love >:E
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:46:05 AM by Nick Collis Bird »
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 12:01:01 AM »

Somebody else may be able to provide a more authoritative answer than me, Nick, but my understanding is that, following a year when bad weather made the Arena Showground barely passable, East Devon Council demanded that the organisers pay an additional insurance fee of several thousand pounds to cover the cancellation of concerts due to inclement weather. Mrs. Casey/Rocking Horse Music said that the extra expense would make the the event financially unviable from their point of view. East Devon Council insisted, so Mrs Casey/RHM pulled the plug.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 07:44:34 AM »

That explains a lot Bob. Thanks for that.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 07:52:43 AM »

Whitby lost money in 1989, another wet August I think … but rather than give money to Lloyds and co they cut back heavily on things like Street Theatre, Dance groups and the creche.

As that was what my family actually valued in the festival, it was the start of our expeditions to France. Think I've only done "full week" 3 times since then. But Whitby survives … and is presently good value. Season tickets for the week cost less than weekends at some events

B&B is … yes, hereditary. Found my present pied à terre when the prev incumbent got a serious illness … booked it last September ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:57:06 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 08:46:31 AM »

Sidmouth (for some reason my spell checker wanted to put "Sodomy"!) is enjoyable, but the tickets are very expensive.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 09:23:04 AM »

Sidmouth (for some reason my spell checker wanted to put "Sodomy"!) is enjoyable, but the tickets are very expensive.
It is very fortunate that you were alert.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 09:40:41 AM »

I could respond to the idea that "Sodomy is enjoyable, but the tickets are very expensive", but I'll resist the temptation.  >:E

With regard to the cost of Sidmouth tickets, when you consider that you get eight days crammed with events, I think they are good value. However, if, like me (and probably most others on this forum), you only attend a few events because you like to spend a lot of your time playing in some of the many pub sessions, then it is more economical just to buy individual tickets for the small number of concerts, workshops etc. you are going to attend rather than purchasing a ticket for the whole week.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »

i went to Chester and was also disappointed, both with the beers and most of the sessional music. It was all small groups doing their own thing with little in the way of joining up. Having said that I skipped the Sunday and Monday (which might have been better)?

We went to Chester just for the Monday and could not find any real sessions going, However the concert in the afternoon with John K and others was great, and the Celidh in the evening with Time Bandits and Linda Heywood (?) was great, all the better for not being too crowded.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »

Bill Rutter ran the festival when I first danced there in '78, with John Dowell being his assistant. John took over when Bill retired.
The economics of the festival revolved around the Arena. You paid for staging, lights, marquis and top folk acts and on a hot summer evening the punters flocked in by the bus load. Umpteen thousand on the bank, it could be just blissful.
But..... a wet week meant no punters to pay for the stage, lights, acts etc. so the festival took a massive hit. It could be a mill stone around the festival's neck or a golden goose, all weather dependant.
As I understand it, Steve Heap ( Mrs Casey ) took it on for the festival to try and make it more commercial. He told us on the last night of his 'ownership' that even he had enough of the financial liability if it was wet.
At the time no one had really believed it wouldn't happen and no contingency plans were in place to keep it going.
I and several of my morris side attended meetings in the following autumn to try and get something going. It was hard, the town wanted it to continue but reluctant to put in money ( just milk it when it happened - my opinion! ) East Devon District Council's initial help was withdrawn as  economics hit them,......
The first one after was a bit wobbly, we were asked at the last minute to run some ceilidhs 'Last Minute Ceilidhs' were formed to make this happen from members of our side. We've now passed this back to the festival and just run the Blackmore Bar on behalf of the festival. It is starting to gain strength again. 
This year I see some Tibetan Monks are coming, international guests are starting to appear.
The Blackmore Gardens dance tent will have some of Devon's best beers and ciders served by yours truly, so pop in and enjoy.
What's not to like?
;)
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

malcolmbebb

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2015, 11:21:38 AM »

Wimborne went down the "milk it" route until the organisers threw in the towel. It was re-started with new organisers, based on much of the "Inherited" goodwill.
Wimborne has not been strong on sessions, to the best of my knowledge, I have asked on their FB site. If they do organise anything I wouldn't like to guess whether it would be English or Irish.
Dino BPII.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2015, 11:47:55 AM »

I find  it really annoying when locals put nothing back into a festival.
To be fair there are several local businesses do contribute to Sidmouth, but the whole town benefits immensely. As a relative local I'm always disappointed comparing silly things like pasty prices before and during festival week are quite an eye opener.
....and I likes a decent oggy!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2015, 12:49:10 PM »

Dent festival is a good example of the local milk round approach. It ran happily for a decade or so and … about 6 years back made a loss. Three local camp sites, who had waxed rich on the trade attracted were invited to make a contribution - all giving very short answers.

I got there the next year, with a "Dent Folk Festival" an a damp field a couple of miles out of town, and an "Dent Folk & Beer" festival on one of the camp sites. This all on the same weekend!

There was no session there either (2011)
  _       _    _      _ 

TedK

• Regular debater
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »

butimba

If you are keen on sessions I would not recommend FolkEast. I went there there year before last and while there were many fine acts performing, it's more of a spectators festival. There were a few organised sessions/singarounds in the beer tent, but very much as an afterthought (and they were drowned out in the evening by the very loud amplified band on the main stage!)

I haven't been to Towersey so can't vouch for it but I think it would be better in this regard.

I think most people would agree that Sidmouth and Whitby are the best for "joining in" and for sessions and fringe events in general. As they held in attractive seaside towns, there are many pubs that host sessions at all times of day and you will rarely be stuck for somewhere to go and play.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 02:06:06 PM »

We enjoyed a good Friday evening opening session at Shrewsbury the year before last led by Flos Headford, a great English style fiddler. It was in one of the permanent buildings on the festival site. Flos is a long standing friend of us so we all piled in with relish.
I am led to believe there were/are good sessions up town, though I was always dancing when in the town so couldn't attend.
I'm dancing there this year, so will be interested if there are any sessions though always with the caveat ' so long as I'm not dancing' attached.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »

I agree with all the comments about Whitby being good for sessions. Years ago you had to plead with landlords to let you play but now you really can take your pick! (It has the added advantage of being a half hour drive for me). At the other end of the country I am heading an expedition to Dartmoor. A folk festival with ferret racing sounds too good to miss and it should be a good place to play all the Bob Cann tunes. Any inside info on which pubs to head for most welcome.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »

I agree with all the comments about Whitby being good for sessions. Years ago you had to plead with landlords to let you play but now you really can take your pick! (It has the added advantage of being a half hour drive for me). At the other end of the country I am heading an expedition to Dartmoor. A folk festival with ferret racing sounds too good to miss and it should be a good place to play all the Bob Cann tunes. Any inside info on which pubs to head for most welcome.
All of them...front bar of the King's Arms you'll meet The Orchards and family/friends including Tommy Pearce of this parish...back bar tends to be run/organised by a festival guest...there's also stuff in the Oxenham...but I've never made it that far..probably all of 500 yrds... :|glug

On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

malcolmbebb

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 03:05:44 PM »

For Dartmoor, that's a tough one. There are two pubs! The King's Arms and the Oxenham Arms. (Plus the beer tent, but you'd have to compete with a concert or ceilidh.)

There is usually a hosted lunchtime mostly-English session in the King's Arms Sat and Sun.

In the evening, any of several rooms could have some sort of session (including the singers - they tend to go on a bit late). The main bar is dominated by the local Gypsy musicians (you need to get in early), including a couple of this parish - Fat Elvis can usually be seen - and usually a marquee or two outside likewise.

The Ox typically has some smaller ad-hoc sessions throughout the weekend. They annoyed the singers a couple of years ago, not sure if they're forgiven. Again, any of several rooms, and outside if the weather is nice.

Both usually lay on extra ales and ciders, although the Red Lion King's Arms usually comes out ahead.

PS crossed with Baz - but no disagreement!

PPS the Seven Stars, South Tawton sometimes has music - about half a mile. On the only occasion I ever made it there I met the landlord en route, on his way to the session in the Kings Arms - so I've never been in there.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 07:05:06 PM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 03:17:33 PM »

Here's my pennyworth regarding sessions at festivals mentioned, from my recent experience...

Shrewsbury good, quite a few in town (3 day event). I really enjoyed this last year.

Towersey - a few in the village pub over the (4 day event). Went in 2013 and didn't find a comfortable session.

Sidmouth - several pubs - Anchor for mostly Irish, Radway for English (7 day event).

FolkEast - improving for participatory things including sessions with local music and stepdancers (2 day event).

Dartmoor - several all day sessions in the two pubs (Fri evening / Sat / Sun).

Traditional Music Day (I'm biased here, I run this one!) - sessions in the Barn and outside, weather permitting 11am-4pm, plus a bit of overspill into the town on Saturday evening (1 day event). Plenty of other stuff going on including box players Ollie King, Darren Breslin, Peter Snape on the guest list (and many other fine players not on the official guest list) and yes we have a website (www.eatmt.org.uk)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »

just to all remember that "good sessions" are very much about what you put into them. For me that means a variety of instruments, perhaps a few songs a general willingness to listen, join in, and move beyond what we've practiced at home :neigh:

That's to say they are more "about" those who turn up to a festival than the event itself.?
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal