Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for June 2015: Vedder Michel  (Read 10640 times)

joreema

• Good talker
  • Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner Erica, MacCann
Re: Tune of the Month for June 2015: Vedder Michel
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »

Sorry. It will work now.
Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner Erica, MacCann Duet, Chemnitzer Konzertina

joreema

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »

Here it is on a one-row in C:

http://youtu.be/oSa16T2YQCo

Nice played. Thank You.

Joreema

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »

Here's my version -

https://youtu.be/FYOksmvX6QA

on a Saltarelle Pastourelle III in G.

Mitch

Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

tjsmithdog5

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 08:52:48 PM »

Dead on, Mitch. Just what I needed to spark my interest in the tune.
Jeff Smith, Michigan
Laura G/C, Giordy D/G, Preciosa C/F

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 01:23:38 AM »

Phew. Marathon recording session done! Here's my take on Vedder Michel - it sounds like a fast polka to me, so here we go... how fast can I go while still keeping things reasonably under control?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51BHXmAdWuw

Played in G on the Hohner Lucia D/G conversion...

Cheers,

Clive

Ellisteph

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 11:31:38 AM »

My attempt for June 2015. "Vedder Michel" is well known especially in North Germany. It's a nice and easy dance. "Vedder Michel" is this type of man that is dangerous for all young ladies. The lyrics of this dance describe all the tricks Michel knows to be a real Casanova. In my version the girl hits him on the floor in the last verse. (For this my smile in the end :D ) But there exist a lot of variations. In England you find this tune as Turks' March No.1("Hardcore English").

https://youtu.be/IU7Jt-ymVu4

And here my concertina version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj7nVbVNhAY
Wonderful. The song version on concertina takes me back to the night you joined us at The Vine in Nantwich - what a great night that was.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

joreema

• Good talker
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »

@Ellisteph:

It was a wonderful session. The sound of this night is still in my brain. Hope to see you all again. :||:

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 02:23:16 PM »

Here, at last, is My First TOTM Posting:|bl  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEDCyHSwbmQ
The link should work OK. At least, it did when I tried it.

I have just been through an experience which was, I am sure, far from unique but was, never the less, educational and remarkably humbling.

I had a practice run through yesterday, during which I discovered
1. That everything about my playing is not as good as I thought it was  >:( (:)
2. As soon as I try to record, especially with twiddles and classy basses it gets much worse.
3. If I try to improve on this I get progressively worse at maintaining an even tempo and avoiding tangled fingers and bum notes.

So this morning I had one practice run though then I went for it. This is what I got. I thought it was going to be better, but it could have been worse!
Vedder Michel, played pretty simple, straight and slow (at about Dartmoor Border Morris' dance tempo), a couple of times through followed by Walter Pigeon's Sotch Polka (because I like it and the transition is easy and I know it better, so I thought it might come out OK even if VM went tits up). Posted just as they came out, no post processing (I am using my wife's laptop because mine has died. It lacks both a video editor and a DAW I can use), with the sound from my (old and cheap) camera's mic.

If you're wondering about the grimace at the end, it's because I promised myself that I would smile at least once, to show how much I was enjoying myself. I think this was the most frightening thing I've done on my melodeon since  my first effort at leading a dance, unsupported ny other musicians, in public. So here it is, complete with melodeon face.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »

I had a practice run through yesterday, during which I discovered
1. That everything about my playing is not as good as I thought it was  >:( (:)
2. As soon as I try to record, especially with twiddles and classy basses it gets much worse.
3. If I try to improve on this I get progressively worse at maintaining an even tempo and avoiding tangled fingers and bum notes.
;D
Exactly mirrors my excuse. I play this most weeks for a Morris side. I have had several goes at recording it, your comments mirror my experience exactly. I have yet to get a decent recording.
Using the "selfie" camera on an iPad with the screen in view adds an extra dimension of distraction.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Klonophonium

• Squeezing in Saxony (Germany)
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 03:34:17 PM »

Here, at last, is My First TOTM Posting:|bl  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEDCyHSwbmQ

I love the variations in the second run and the polka fits perfectly!  :|glug
Weltmeister Corina GCF, Castagnari Handry 12 GC#

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 03:43:46 PM »

I love the variations in the second run and the polka fits perfectly!  :|glug

Indeed - very nicely done.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:58 AM »

....I play this most weeks for a Morris side. I have had several goes at recording it, your comments mirror my experience exactly. I have yet to get a decent recording.
Using the "selfie" camera on an iPad with the screen in view adds an extra dimension of distraction.
[/quote]

Just a thought: Why not video you and your side at a dance out and post that?
Your description of iPad selfies is the stuff of which nightmares are made :-}

Thank you for your empathy and thank you Klono and Clive for your generous comments.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

911377brian

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »

My excuse for not doing a Tune of the Month has always been lack of technical ability and the kit required. But I've got an iPad now....perhaps if I knocked up some sort of stand for it and experimented a bit .....you are leading me into a dark place I think Malcolm...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »

My excuse for not doing a Tune of the Month has always been lack of technical ability and the kit required. But I've got an iPad now....perhaps if I knocked up some sort of stand for it and experimented a bit .....you are leading me into a dark place I think Malcolm...

I suspect there are a few folks round these parts who would say Malcolm is leading you into the light..
Greg Smith

Sebastian

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 12:53:54 PM »

But I've got an iPad now....perhaps if I knocked up some sort of stand for it
Two beer bottles should do.  >:E

911377brian

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 01:03:15 PM »

.. (:) (:) (:)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 07:51:10 PM »

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »

A clear winner this time, from northern Germany comes this ridiculously catchy little number - https://youtu.be/abCbTASVcCo (first tune in set). etc...
Help me out here please folks.

I'm a concertina novice (9 months), but I've been lurking on melodeon.net for a few days (I'm a melodeon
virgin, but intending to buy a melodeon real soon now...).

I came across this TOTM post on melodeon.net this morning and thought 'what the hell, let's give it a go'.
So I managed to work out the first few bars on the C row of my C/G Lachenal. What a great tune!

However on the concertina, in order to free up the left hand buttons to allow me to try some
rudimentary chords, I transposed it up 5 semi-tones to play the melody on the right hand only (starting
on C rather than G). Amazingly (to me), it still sounded something like the original. Later, I discovered
that this was also TOTM on concertina.net, and that someone had posted a video on melodeon.net
playing the thing in three keys on the same melodeon, so clearly some 'fiddling about' is allowable.

I'm not sure that my crude 'on the fly' transposition retains the original intervals between notes, but,
as I say, the thing still sounds something like the original (allowing for my as yet dodgy playing).

My questions are these: Just how much 'folk-processing' can I get away with when learning new
tunes on the concertina (and soon, on the melodeon)? Can I transpose 'on the fly' like this and get
away with it? Will my name be mud amongst real concertina and melodeon players when they
discover my awful secret?

Thanks.

Roger

[cross-posted to both melodeon.net and concertina.net]

For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 07:11:47 PM »

However on the concertina, in order to free up the left hand buttons to allow me to try some
rudimentary chords, I transposed it up 5 semi-tones to play the melody on the right hand only (starting
on C rather than G).

Changing  keys is fair game. Melodeons come naturally in different keys, even more than Anglo concertinas.
As the tune modulates to the dominant, it would be much easier to play in C on a C/G box.

Perhaps I should do an Anglo recording as well and link to to conc.net.

Amazingly (to me), it still sounded something like the original. Later, I discovered
that this was also TOTM on concertina.net, and that someone had posted a video on melodeon.net
playing the thing in three keys on the same melodeon, so clearly some 'fiddling about' is allowable.
Can I transpose 'on the fly' like this and get away with it?

There are at least two German videos on YouTube with people singing it and going up a semitone each verse. Translation: there is no one "right key"!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Sebastian

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 12:23:22 AM »

I didn't quite understand, what's your problem. I play Vetter Michel on a 20 button concertina in C/G, starting with the first button of the right hand C row on push, that is with the note C. This is the only possible starting point for this song, if you want to play the melody unchanged.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal