Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Corso - Erica?  (Read 4373 times)

up-fiddler

• Good talker
    • Fine Linen Literary Journal
Corso - Erica?
« on: June 02, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »

Okay. I am trying to learn all I can about these addictive machines. Please humor a noob. What is the difference between and Erica and a Corso? I can't see any other than the labeling but, then again, I have never played an Erica. Are the layouts different? I simply don't know.

Thanks for your patience,
Dave
d/g Tommy, c/f Hug & Co., c/f Corso, g/c/f Corona II, Weltmeister a/d/g, Lachenal 24 button anglo, Morse 30 button anglo, Star Chemnitzer, Lange Chemnitzer, too many fiddles and mandolins to list

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Corso - Erica?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 02:45:57 PM »

Erica is two voice, Corso three voice.  If you see them side by side you can tell that the Corso is bigger externally.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

up-fiddler

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 02:50:35 PM »

Thanks, Theo.

That makes perfect sense. I appreciate the prompt response. Sorry to be a bother over such a little matter. Thanks again, Dave
d/g Tommy, c/f Hug & Co., c/f Corso, g/c/f Corona II, Weltmeister a/d/g, Lachenal 24 button anglo, Morse 30 button anglo, Star Chemnitzer, Lange Chemnitzer, too many fiddles and mandolins to list

Johnf

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:09:31 PM »

Most people consider the Erica to be a faster player...makes sense as it is lighter in weight. Corso has a fuller sound and can be tuned very wet. It is also a bit louder.
Austin Texas
C "LeCapitaine"
B/C "Double Ray"
Mandolin
Pennywhistle

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »

Erica is two voice, Corso three voice.

And what about DOUBLE RAY? ... that it seems the same size and design of the box.... same as Erica and Corso.

Is Double Ray 3 voice also? or 2 voice? (this double ray red box from nowadays... not those black boxes from before).
Thanks
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:56:29 AM »

Yeah, watching some videos now, I could realize about the red Double Rays and Ericas they have the same box. As Corso, its box is a little bigger yeah.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 07:38:41 AM »

Double Ray uses an Erica size box. The Double Ray Deluxe is bigger, so probably uses the same box as. corso, but I can't be definite on that.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »

I can be definite, Double Ray De Luxe is exactly the same as a Corso but semitone tuned. Parts are interchangeable. The only exception is that on the past the DR and DRDL were produced in versions with a 12 button stradella bass.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »

Yes, I have recently played a Corso, a DRDL and an Erica. The Erica to me was by far the lightest to play.

up-fiddler

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »

I love how this thread has expanded to include the Double Rey. Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom and expertise. I realize that I could use Google to find this info but often I don't know the proper question to ask. Then when I finally ask it, the fine folks at Google are more interested in seeing how many ads they can fit on the screen. The thoughtful, sharing community here at melnet is a Godsend for those of us out in the hinterlands.

Thanks again,
Dave

Andy

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »

When starting to play a couple of years ago I was of the view that bigger melodeons would be unresponsive, clumsy and harder work to play. While at the most extreme end this may be true I would now consider the Corso / Double Ray Deluxe to be at a 'sweet spot' with regards to ease of playing. Still very light and small enough to be easily handled yet offering a usefully larger bellows capacity than the Erica / regular Double Ray machines, that combined with a reasonably fast air valve makes for less physical effort to play.

So even putting the sound aside I would generally choose the bigger Hohners over the smaller ones.

Having said that I am a BC player so am coming from a slightly different perspective.

Andy

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 01:07:01 AM »

I started on a Corso, G/C wet tuned and loved the heck out of it. It was very responsive and took me through a number of years before I traded up. But I loved that sound. When I got my three row box, i went with a Baffetti Tex Mex II, which is a sort of Hohner model with posh specifications. Just recently (as I reported in another thread) when I decided I needed an A/D box, I got an Erica that had been vetted by our own Lester. I am sooooo happy with that choice. It's wetter than any of my other boxes (I had missed that! And I know that any box can be tuned to be as wet as you like, but that Hohner sound is a unique kind of wet).

At this moment, I'm listening to Jean Blanchard's Accordeon Diatonique recording, all solo Erica playing. Amazing set of tunes.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 05:36:24 AM »

I've found this nice link about many variations of the Double Ray model:

http://gumshoearcana.blogspot.com.br/2011/02/many-faces-of-hohner-double-ray.html

up-fiddler

• Good talker
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »

That is a great link for Double Ray info. Thanks so much for adding it to the conversation. I have officially become an addict.

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 06:33:35 PM »

Nice  :D
I've been also searching a lot about double ray in B/C tuning. It is definitely the box closer to the brazilian pattern, brazilian tuning that we use here.

Currently I've been dreaming about a double ray 12 basses, because specially with the configuration, of the bass buttons that comes originally in this double ray 12 basses, it seems it comes (when 12 basses) it comes with the D chord and another option Dm chord (at one of the extra bass buttons).

It is simply perfect to the brazilian tuning patterns. Because we have a local discussion, dispute about who those use the chord (in the 8 bass configuration) those that use the chord D in D major, and those who prefer the D minor... and they talk a lot the differences and advantages or disadvantages about use the D major or minor as your D chord.... but it seems that the Double Ray 12 basses, it comes with ONE D major chord and another D minor chord.

That's awesome for me.

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 06:35:51 PM »

And after all, be talking about Double Rays or Ericas are totally the same thing. Because it seems they are the same same box. With the Double Ray being the Ericas in B/C tuning (because it seems the Ericas never comes in B/C tuning... just C/F and G/C) as double rays deluxe, are the Corsos in B/C tuning, and the Corsos also never come in B/C tuning, just in C/F and G/C also as Ericas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal